1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread QPR v Birmingham

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree the second half was the best i have seen for some time. I know I keep moaning but the first goal was such poor defending by us. It really needs addressing by JFH.

2. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

David Mac wrote on WLS that Yeni hurt his thigh in training Thursday before Brum and I guess after he had returned from compassionate leave. He may be ready for Burton. Same article says Cousins and Polter are doubtful for Burton.

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Yeah it was but still pretty crap IMO. Sounds like yesterday was a lot better so it's encouraging going into two away games. Fulham seem to have fallen apart.

4. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

Wow, a 1-1 home draw against a poor looking Birmingham side has got some of us excited. Well at least the club have succeeded in lowering expectations I guess. Yesterday's first half was dire yet again with no threat on the opposition goal other than via set pieces and the concession of a goal created by a back post header having survived two similar attempts minutes earlier. It tells tells you all you need to know about our dogmatic and unintelligent tactics. Yes, the second half was better but it only emphasises how reliant the one-dimensional tactics are on the BFG who looks to be on the sick list again. Hasselbank doesn't seem to be learning.

rangercol and mcytiger like this.
  5. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree with most of that but for me it was better (second half) than what I seen of late so we have to be pleased.

6. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

I was looking for a more positive team selection yesterday and we got that. There was no Karl Henry for a start. Some good performances from the new signings and a non like for like substitution from JFH. Along with an entertaining second half I went home happy. We had the chances to win the game. Birmingham might not be all that but they are nearer the top than the bottom.
    Seems to be that there were signs of improvement and signs of JFH learning but it's early days yet.

7. Windom Earle

Windom Earle Well-Known Member

I thought we were back at school last season? This is now JFH team and if defenders keep making mistakes (which they do) then the manager needs to sort. I'm not worried about Norwich or Newcastle I am worried about QPR. With this team we should be doing better. cannot understand why people don't think we should be?[/QUOTE]

If you break it down into player profiles IMO we haven't got a single player except for the highly paid Sandro who would get into the current top six

Chery a few may answer but IMO he has a load of draw backs
    Caulker maybe when he finds his game

I do think it's worth looking at Norwich and Newcastle because we are certainly only just in the mix with rest of mid table teams

I don't expect Blackburn to be around the bottom by the new year

Preston again will be top 10

I have already thought No chance at all of a play off IMO but it's a crazy league plus I can't also see us going down

So all in all it is accepted IMO that we can get beaten by anyone home or away ... I am enjoying the transformation in fact and no point anyone getting wild that we aren't doing as well as we should be I doubt if there is a club in England that has ****ed up as badly as we have

It could take a while for us all to regain the magic of QPR but seriously our club has been fiddled with by some very daft and greedy people

The fans are left to pick up the tab which is the thing not acceptable so IMO I am no longer allowing these people to ruin my mindset of QPR

They are all long gone

UTRs and finglasqpr like this.
  8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Excited would be an overstatement, but encouraged certainly. Not by Hasselbaink's tactics necessarily (continuing to pick Cousins out wide is just wrong), but by the performances of some of the players (Borysiuk, Wszolek and Luongo in particular) and the generally more positive approach - less sideways and backwards passing and no Karl Henry (could there be a connection there?). Small mercies maybe, but I find the air of entitlement from some of our fans rather unpleasant. I am far from convinced by Hasselbaink, but for some to be calling for his head already is crazy. We have made some good, sensible signings - why not give them and the manager time to show what they can do? Wednesday night and yesterday were signs of improvement in my opinion.

9. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Well said that man.

10. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I still think JFH is still searching for his best line-up. The players that are out of position such as Cousins are for a reason and out of necessity. Once everyone is fit I think we will see a better balance. We are still short of play-off material but if we start playing some decent passing football and nick a few results we will be making progress and that should be the best of our expectations this season. If we don't there will be no excuses...

11. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

We started fairly well against Birmingham but the problem yet again was that we started Onuoha and Cousins playing out of position. That renders our right flank out of kilter and so it proved when Birmingham scored a sitter from a set piece with our 'right back' on the edge of our own 6 yard box when the cross came in for their goal. Hall getting easily beaten at the back post was also unhelpful and leaves me wondering what our best centre back pairing is.

The match meandered on and I couldn't really care less so much so that when we scored I just sat there nonplussed. No cheer, not up on my feet and no clap. Zero emotion. Having had a chat with the regulars around me at half-time most of them felt and did the same. A rather muted celebration of a goal around the ground then.

The second half began with much of the same but then there was a couple of subtle incidents that changed the dynamic of the game. First off was a crunching tackle by Borysiuk, and then a moment when Luongo broke up an attack by the opposition with a strong tackle and a nice piece of footwork and skill to launch a counter-attack. The referee Paul Tierney made a series of bizarre decisions that also rattled the faithful and the crowd was up off their feet and rallying behind the team. The team responded and from that moment on it was a procession of Rangers. It became evident that Birmingham were settling for a point when their keeper was wasting time just after the hour mark and they were sitting ten yards deeper, especially when we went to 4-4-2 when Polter came on and Chery went wide left.

Despite our attempt to win the game you never really felt that we had anyone on the pitch able to produce that moment of magic that was required to win the game. Maybe someone like Austin would've stuck away Sylla's last gasp opportunity, we'll just have to hope that someone from our budget squad can step up and make the difference between winning and drawing.

Tramore Ranger and Stroller like this.
  12. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Lynch's performance against Sunderland should have warranted a starting place on Saturday. Onuoha should be our fourth choice CB imo.

13. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I think I'd go prefer a Caulker/Lynch combo at the moment. Hall is good but he's been off the pace for the last few games. I think he's played a lot of games for us the last two seasons and may need a rest. He's gone from practically zero at Spurs to full on with us.

14. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

I agree with nearly all of this. If the 'air of expectation' comment was aimed at me then fair enough, but TBH my only demands are that the players try their damnedest and really want to play for the shirt (Polter most certainly, Luongo doubtful, Onouha has a nice wife) and, as a season ticket holder who has to put up with this stuff more than most, that the manager understands the need to entertain.

Stroller likes this.