1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rafa Benitez

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Warmir Pouchov, May 23, 2016.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Now far be it from me to be the harbinger of doom but this is taking a long time. I'm still of the opinion this isn't happening.

I just think he has waited to see what options would present themselves, which to be fair is understandable. We're a championship club all said and done. He is well capable of operating at a much higher level.

Perhaps its also a case of struggling to agree terms or us messing around too much. I do think though that it will be mainly about him waiting to see what happens with the usual summer merry go round. Van Gaal may hold the key to that process with him leaving kickstarting it. So we may be waiting a little while longer yet.

I don't think its the end of the world if he doesn't stay, but I do think it will have a knock on effect on a few things. Firstly I think a few players wavering over whether to stay will quickly look to move on. Secondly I think it would be a blow to morale of both players and fans. Personally its like relegation, I accepted when he signed that if we went down he wouldn't be staying. However I do think a lot of our fans seem completely smitten with the bloke and seem to assume he will stay.

We were always going to be vulnerable in terms of better options for him, I just hope we have some kind of back up plan.

Obi Wan likes this.
  2. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Think he will stay, may just be my heart leading my head though.

Van Gaal to be replaced by Mourinho as well so no opening up a host of changes of top flight managers. The only real job I can see appealing to Benitez is the Spain job and even then his time with Madrid may put him off that.

If he doesn't stay I would be seriously worried about the reaction of the fans next season if the new manager doesn't hit the ground running quicker than Usain Bolt.

3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Yes but if it was a black and white as that he would have quit as soon as we went down and let us get on with the process of finding a new manager. He seems like a very honest guy, and wouldn't be involved in the prolonged negotiations if it was always in his mind to go.

At the end of the day, football manager contracts are complex, and if Rafa is staying, it's vital to him to have things the way he wants, and will have insisted on the contract stating exactly what he wants in terms of transfers, funds, backroom staff, etc....he is going to be well aware of what Keegan and Pardew had to deal with, and will be insisting on no contractual loopholes or any grey areas that allow any influence from those above - these things take time, especially if a formal legal contract is being produced.

Plus there's obviously going to be a lot of finagling and discussion above the level of funds he has, which will also be protracted negotiations.

I wouldn't be worried now, yes he can still walk if Ashley and Charnley mess this up, but the prolonged silence is more a sign that Rafa is making sure everything is exactly as he wants it imo.

4. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Benitez said it would be sorted one way or the other in two weeks. that still leaves one week to go. I don't think there is a "delay" that we need to read something into. he could be offered a better deal or course but I don't think there's any reason to think that things have gone off the rails

5. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

I think the reality is more likely somewhere between the two extremes.

Rafa is too good for us, really, and he knows it. But he's tempted - partly for family reasons, and partly for the chance to make the most of the passion at the club. Don't underestimate the impact of 52,000 fans of a relegated club turning up and singing his name for 90 minutes.

So he'll take the job if *everything* is exactly as he wants it, and will walk away otherwise.

We know Ashley is a control freak, but one who has been learning the hard way that he needs to take a step back from doing anything other than writing the cheques. So it will be touch and go whether he gives Rafa the autonomy he demands.

So, it's going to take a while. But that delay doesn't tell us anything as to whether Rafa will be manager next season or not.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'd be surprised if it was 52,000 singing his name. Unless we are banning away fans or the other clubs are really into us doing well :biggrin:

Seriously though I fully understand the decision timeframe and things taking time etc. However I also think if this was another club who really wanted a particular individual and he wanted to stay, it would be wrapped up pretty quickly. Rafa being an honorable man etc would not stop him hedging his bets. This is the business he's in, this is football. I'd think no less of him but I think it is a bit naive to think he'll just have his eggs in one basket until a clear decision is made. I think he'll assessing more options than just us and will probably have been sounded out by others already. Plus the shrewd move is to see what all the clubs wavering on managers do.

7. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

My understanding is agreements have been made and the signing of the contract is very close. I think sticking points were not only financials for this transfer window, but others to follow as well as the redevelopment of Benton.

In the meantime Rafa has been in contact with agents regarding players and backroom staff such as scounts and alike. He has also been arranging pre-season. Yesterday he was at a charity run for the justice for 96, but wasnt questioned on Newcastle, well not whilst recorded.

I originally thought an announcement would be made today, but it's taking it's time, but if that's the price of getting everything thats needed then its fine. If we creep upto thursday/friday with no news I will defo start worrying!

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Simply put, if we'd stayed up, he'd have stayed on, end of story. The fact we went down has somewhat understandably put a spanner in the works. There will be a lot Rafa wants and we have THIRTY SIX days until we return to pre-season!! He'd want to know about that pre-season expectation, the money he has and how quickly, the contracts with players (what does Colo actually have in his contract?!), I think there's a LOT to do, and anyone who's involved legal parties will be aware how long things can taken with wording. He will be aware of what has happened and will want complete control. NUFC will in turn have to leave themselves as un-exposed as possible.

I'm already assuming he's the boss. I think the club will wait for the Man U dust to settle anyway, this is a headline and a big story, they'll want coverage so you'll get no announcement until Mourinho's situation is sorted.

9. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

I'm not overly concerned atm. He did say he would make a decision within two weeks. A lot has got to happen within that 2 weeks before he can even think about sitting down and talking this over with his family. He has obviously made some demands and rightly so, some of which will take time to sort out/finalise i.e. Graham Carr getting the bullet and maybe some others. He may also be insisting on other things and bringing one or two more people in behind the scenes, his own scout(s) etc again all of which takes time and unbeknown to us.

Despite our league status it has to be one of the most attractive options available to him assuming that his requirements are fulfilled. I for one will be absolutely gutted if he walks away and I couldn't blame him, but it will be clear who is to blame if he does.

Come on Ashley get it all sorted man and give him what he wants !

10. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

How does us going down throw a spanner in the works? He was the one who presided over that certainty. If he thinks he's goatee big balls, I will draw him a map to ****, because he needs to get there.

Personally think he's as much a parasite as the players who couldn't be arsed to keep us up. He's here for a payday, a payday nobody else will give him, and that's that.

11. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

The fact that the Sevilla manager is favourite to become everton boss is either really good or really bad. He Emery does take the Everton job, then that rules everton out, but Sevilla will be looking for a new manager, Champions league team, potentially Benitez could be convinced?

12. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

From nufc.com:

Rafa: Talks recommence
    A further round of discussions between club MD Lee Charnley and manager Rafa Benitez is scheduled to take place today (Monday). Contact between both parties continued after last week's face to face talks, with written agreements regarding budgets and roles now drafted.

In addition to pre-season plans, Benitez has also been consulted over the future of various players, with confirmation of those to be released, retained or extended expected in the near future.

seems positive, nice to see roles being mentioned as well as budgets, proof Rafa's not going to have anyone making decisions above him or doing jobs they he doesn't want them to do.

13. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Don't hold back Jude, say what you feel. Can't say l agree with you, personally l love the guy and think he is the best thing that could have happened to NUFC in a long time. Even with relegation, the Boards need to keep him means big changes for the better. I can't wait for the official announcement and will be totally gutted if this goes belly up. Hope you are well.

14. Lord Jonjomort

If he's as vapid as you say, being out of the limelight would throw a spanner in the works for sure anyway.

I understand your sentiments, I really do, but i think you are completely missing the context. A recent managerial history of Fat Sham, Joe Kinnear, Alan Pardew, John Carver and the late, great Schteve coupled with the misguided, idiotic approach to a "structure" has been categorically erased with a single appointment. It's about more than Rafa Benitez, it's about an admission of guilt, an apology, an agreement to start again by the failed football board and owner. Appointing one of your faves, Pearson, as Head Coach would not remove the problems. He would again be another man grateful at a shot with 50,000 in the ground. He would start with the fans demanding success, he would be on the backfoot within one, maybe two defeats. It serves no purpose. What is/was needed is a glamorous, populist appointment relinquishing control to a man with experience. Rafa gives us that, whether you like the individual or not.

15. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Totally this......... None of the other likely appointments if Rafa decides not to stay have the charisma and status to demand that the fooking stupid Structure is thrown in the trash. Like him or not, you do need to hope he is appointed. Relegation alone is not enough to guarantee change, change that just may mean we have a brighter future.

16. Lord Jonjomort

Hey Jude, don't take it bad
    Rafa took a crap team and made it better
    Remember to let him into your heart
    Then he can start to make it better

Hey Jude, don't be afraid
    You were made to go out and support them
    The 90 minutes you let him under your skin
    Then you begin to make it better

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain
    Don't carry thoughts of Steve upon your shoulders
    For well you know that it's a fool who likes Pardew
    And let's not even mention Carver
    Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah

Hey Jude, we just went down
    But we have Rafa, now go support them
    Remember to let him into your heart
    Then you can start to make it better

Rah rah rah Rafa Benitez, Rafa Benitez, hey Jude
    ....and so on

17. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Someone has way to much time on their hands...

<laugh>

18. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Genius

19. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

in rafa I trust.

20. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Interesting because Jake Humphrey reckoned on twitter that Pellegrini was in talks with Everton. Don't think Benitez would ever have got the job there with being a former Liverpool manager. Still think he will leave us though.