1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reality Check

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by bonnybobbypark, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

The press are all over him, and that's good & bad. Good, cos his price gets hiked, bad because every ****er is watching him.

A lot will depend on our ambition and the backing of SA in January.

He looked so relaxed giving first ever MOTD interview yesterday, the lads going a long way, I just hope a chunk of it's here.

He will certainly be enjoying the buzz around the fans every time the balls near him, he will be loving that after 7 games!

Brian Storm likes this.
  2. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

Not if we augment him!

x

3. bonnybobbypark

Watmore must be the start. The kick on. If not, SAFC can **** off

x

4. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Bigger than skp.he will have to go some ???????
    <bubbly>

5. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

Can't see us wanting to sell him any time soon and so long as we stay up then I'd expect him to be our player next season (providing no silly bids come in) as well, after that it'll ll depend on how far he progresses, if he can avoid any big injuries and how he handles his card being marked by defenders. If he develops as we hope and keeps on troubling defenders then if a big bid comes in for him then good luck to the lad but I'd hope we get at least this season and next out of him.

clockstander likes this.
  6. hordenmackem

hordenmackem Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for Sunderland we are not in a position to keep talented players. The reality is that like Henderson and Mig, once bigger teams take notice and offer a ridiculous fee it doesn't matter what the player feels. The club will cash in eventually on a talent the size of Watmores, of that I have no doubt.

I totally get BBP's sentiment, it would be great to keep a kid like him and build a team around him but it's not the reality.

My suggestion is "let's enjoy him while we have him".

salad fingers likes this.
  7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Of course we dont want to sell him.

But we are so far down the ladder. Money dictates.

8. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

I reckon we'll have him for at least another year. If he keeps developing we may be able to get a Hendo sort of sum for him but no way will he ever be worth the same amount as Sterling imo.

At age 19, Sterling was one of the top 20 scorers in the prem, and a guaranteed starter for a side challenging for the title.
    At age 21, Watmore has two goals to his name and is an impact sub for a side struggling against relegation.

There's no comparison imo.

Nostalgic likes this.
  9. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Still don't see what the reality check is <laugh>

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. bonnybobbypark

This could be and should be the moment a sensible lad and a PREMIERSHIP team says no to the so-called big guys. If not now, well, football is dead for everyone except the top 6 we hve now. Sunderland - and Watmore - show some ****ing balls. Otherwise football is all over

x

11. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter where you are on that ladder mate, if a daft money bid is made then a selling team is going to take the money regardless if that selling team is Sunderland or Man utd. That's just the nature of the transfer system

12. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Look at the kids of his age who are out on loan from the rich clubs but in the U21s and so on. Their chances of making it at the rich ones are limited but his are limitless with us. As a striker use him carefully this season and let him develop naturally to achieve his potential. The rich boys can afford to wait but he is in the driving seat in all ways, just hope we benefit on and off the pitch.

13. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand your logic tbh... If a deal makes sense for all involved, go for it.

Lets put a complete fantasy land scenraio in place. We're a year down the line, Duncan's progress has been unbelievable, he's a superstar, all the top clubs want him.

Man City come in with a £100m offer. You're saying we should turn it down? We could revamp our entire defense with that money and bring in a decent replacement for Dunc AND a very decent quality CAM. We've no need for some world class superstar at our level.

City would get a player who would help them compete for the CL, we get to revamp our entire squad which would hopefully take us to that "next level", and Duncan gets to play for one of the best teams in the world. Everyone wins.

14. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wasn't even aware other clubs were already coming in for him Bobby.

He's just signed a 4/5 year contract so I'm confused why we'd be talking this way.

Like @Taricco's Crab Dance says, we've got him for at least one more year. Lets get out as much from the lad as we can while we have him. In the end we'll both win, him a bigger club, us a hefty price.

15. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

When we had Philips, Murray did not build around him and look what happened. I would not sell him at any price as he has huge potential.

16. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

I had the same conversationon Saturday. My take on it is,he's sensible and level headed enough to know that a move to a bigger club isn't alwaysthe best thing to do. He seems more than happy with the way things are going for him at Sunderland and I reckon we'll have him for a while yet. The only thing I was wondering was who was his boyhood club? I know we got him from Altrincham but is he a Manc? If Man U or City were his boyhood club then there will be some heart strings pulled if they come knocking.

Brian Storm likes this.
  17. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

what about Leicester?

18. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

I think Merson said some think like this on saturday.
    "Unless you are something exceptional a player can choose the club that wants
    him"most clubs pay good wages and the player could be more loyal.i think
    <bubbly>

19. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...ncan-watmore-says-staying-sunderland-10523918

From the chronic
    Duncan Watmore says staying at Sunderland was an 'easy decision' for him to make

• 11:45, 30 NOV 2015
    • UPDATED 11:45, 30 NOV 2015
    • BY JAMES HUNTER
    Sunderland's rising star Duncan Watmore has no shortage of admirers in the Premier League, but had no hesitation at signing a new deal on Wearside.
    Duncan Watmore insists committing his future to Sunderland was an ‘easy decision’ – despite the queue of admirers keen to prise him away.

The 21-year-old is one of the hottest young properties in English football after bursting onto the scene with the Black Cats this season, and forcing his way into the England Under-21 side.

And he had attracted attention from a series of Premier League clubs alerted by the fact he was in the final 12 months of his contract at the Stadium of Light.

But the former Altrincham FC man, who moved to Wearside in the summer of 2013, signed a new four-year deal last weekend and says the way the Sunderland fans have treated him was a major factor.

“It was an easy decision for me,” said Watmore , who scored his second Premier League goal at the weekend in the 2-0 win against Stoke City.

“This club has been fantastic with me ever since I arrived two-and-a-half years ago.

“The passion the fans have, the staff, the players, everyone has been unbelievable.

“And when you get that reception at the Stadium of Light from those fans, that explains why I signed for four years, because of them.”

Watmore made waves at Under-21 level for Sunderland last season, but he had to wait until this season to be handed his Premier League debut – marking the occasion with a goal, despite the Black Cats slipping to a home defeat against Norwich City.

And his Sunderland team-mate Jermain Defoe said last week that Watmore reminded him of the young Gareth Bale, when he first burst onto the scene at Spurs before his mega-money move to Real Madrid.

The level-headed Watmore said: “To hear a Premier League legend saying that about you gives you a lot of confidence.

“I can only learn from him.

“That comment was taken a bit out of context, but I’m just trying to learn from him [Defoe].

“You can’t expect it to get any easier. It’s only going to get harder, so I have to learn to adapt.

“But hopefully if I keep working hard, I can do that.”

Watmore’s chances were limited under previous boss Dick Advocaat, but he has begun to blossom under Sam Allardyce.

Watmore said: “The manager has been great with me since he came in, particularly on a personal note.

“He wanted me to play my natural game and get at defenders. That’s what I was able to do.

“Back to goal isn’t my strength, and playing as a striker I know that.

“I’ve got to drift off into space and use my advantages to get at defenders.

“I’ve got a long, long way to go and I know that.

“The only way I can do that is keep playing, keep practising and take it in my stride.”

20. bonnybobbypark

BM. I don't know or think anyone is in for him, but I want Sunderland to be a big club.

x