1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reed must play

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Saint, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Obviously we are all searching for the answers to our current predicament but I have increasingly felt that Reed needs to be a permanent pick in a midfield 3. Koeman has commented that we didn't win enough 2nd ball and in my opinion Reed is the member of our squad who will change that. I want him in as a permanent fixture as our midfield will inevitably change next year with at least the departure of Morgan. Reed is homegrown, full of energy and proved that he is up for the big stage. I don't want to see him passed over with another foreign import. It certainly won't solve the current goal scoring drought but he will do a constant job of recycling possession so that when our creative players rediscover their mojo (or replacements are brought in) they will be given the possession to do their thing. I know a tough call will need to be made on who to drop but for me this is essential.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I really like Harrison Reed.

What I don't understand though is that after a run of games where we haven't scored any goals and have dominated possession, not been overly creative and missed the chances we have had, people could think that "recycling possession" is number one on the agenda.

Sorry FOK, I think you have randomly thrown in a player you like who you'd like to see playing, the is totally irrelevant to our current issue.

Putting the round thing in the thing with the net is our issue right now. No matter how much I like young Mr Reed, him recycling the ball to our creative players is just doing what is happening now. It is better creation and better finishing we need.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Saints_Alive likes this.
  3. Le Saint

The current issue is temporary. My point is that I want Reed established now because I want him to be part of our present and future. There are no options right now to solve lack of creativity and goals. I was just picking up on a comment from Ron yesterday about 2nd ball. I also genuinely believe that if Ron goes with Reed on Tuesday it would be no coincidence if we started to turn it round with a win.

4. fatletiss

So it is random? I think it would be a coincidence if that happened. With the level of possession we have, winning the ball back is not a problem. 2nd ball dropping on the edge of the box yesterday cost us a goal, but not sure it is a big problem. I just don't see how CDM is an issue for us.

It would be nice to have a young academy player coming through as he is, but getting him 'established' now isn't important.

If Reed played, we win and he assists two or scores, then it wouldn't be a coincidence.

5. fatletiss

Maybe there is a second part to your thought that you haven't out across yet.... Eg, playing Vic and Reed to push Morgan forward??? Just trying to find logic to go with your view. I'm not being rude; I just don't see that as the fix.

We have lots of creative options. We don't have lots of CF options, however I do think Ron could be brave and a little more 'creative' with the forward option. For example, I have said for a number of weeks that if like to see a front two or three made up from the speed demons. Mane/Long/Elia/Djurjic (combination of) would be varying a lot and I'd like to try something different.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I presume Alderweireld will play CB if he returns for Tuesday, but, if not, he can play MF...though probably not if Vic and Morgan are fit. Just musing out loud.

7. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Yep I'd play him every game. He's amazing for such a young player in his role and he's only going to get better . We've conceded something like once in 450 minutes with him playing and he's been man of the match in my eyes three times . He gives us more solidarity and energy . He's our best ball winner (stats will clearly prove that). He also moves the ball much faster than Wanyama and Schneiderlin when the opponent is parking the bus..and more crisply. ​

8. fatletiss

Stats will prove that over the 4 games he has played.....

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I'm against any kneejerk responses to our current plight. After Ron subbed off Gardos for Elia and switched formation that was near enough to the team that has got us into this great position in the league, for the first time in a couple of months. It can take a couple of games to click into gear again, so I would stick with it, with Davis as the advanced CM, Tadic and Mane wide, Bic Vic and Morgan sitting deeper and hopefully Toby back. The only possible change would be Long in for Pelle, but I would stick with Pelle for one more game and sub him if things are not going well against Palace.

10. fatletiss

Stats also prove that Forster is the best keeper in the country.

Libby likes this.

11. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Before they were both injured, Big Vic and Morgan were said to be a better CM combination than Fernando and Fernandinho by the Sky Sports pundits, after our win at Old Trafford.

12. fatletiss

But we lost to WBA so they must be hopeless. (Despite Vic being very good against Liverpool)

13. Le Saint

Spot on. He's also our future whereas I fear Vic and Morgan are not. This thread is not about how to fix our current goal drought but from what I've seen this year I think it's the right thing to do. It certainly won't harm us and if it prevented a goal like yesterday then it may have ended as an away draw rather than a confidence damaging loss. We've been really lucky to see young lads like Shaw, Chambers thrown in and thrive and Harry is another who we don't need to wait on.

14. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Nope, Long must play. Pelle needs to be taken out of the spotlight. He is badly out off form/ looks knackered. He needs to be given a few weeks in the u21's.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    YateleySaintIan and St.Max like this.
  15. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have no issue with Reed being promoted above Davis and JWP in the pecking order right now, given that those two just are not doing it at the moment. But he should still sit behind Morgan and Wanyama. And given how desperate we are for a goal or two right now, it would be a perfectly legitimate tactic to play just Morgan and Wanyama, with a fourth creative player on the pitch instead (as we had yesterday, for all bar 20 mins - albeit we were already behind at that point, making our job of scoring even harder).

I have no strong calls at all for Reed to be starting. Long on the other hand...

16. fatletiss

With this logic, we should play McCarthy instead of Clyne, Targett instead of Bertrand, Stephens instead of Fonte, Gallagher instead of Pelle, Hesketh instead of Tadic, Gape instead of Morgan and so on.

I just don't see what you are trying to do by breaking up the Vic/Morgan partnership that was, according to most established pundits one of the best in the premier league.

17. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Agree with giving Pelle a break as he's been knackered for weeks but I'd have him on the bench. He needs a rest not time playing in the u21s.

18. fatletiss

I don't think he needs a rest; he needs to be dropped because his general play hasn't been good enough for quite a few games. No protection, no resting, just a nudge to say "Hey, if you don't do it, we'll try someone else"

Step up Mr Long.

19. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Dropping him to the bench would also achieve that but I don't believe he isn't
    trying. It's his first season in the Premier and he's not use to the pace. Also all the responsibility to score is on him as we don't really have a backup. Long should be given a go but he's not exactly prolific.

20. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Think we have won every game Reed has played in the league. Not agreeing nor disagreeing, but really like his attitude.