1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP Gary Sprake

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Angelicnumber16, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

For those of you who are old enough to remember him.

Former Leeds United, Birmingham City and Wales goalkeeper Gary Sprake has died at the age of 71.
    Swansea-born Sprake made more than 500 appearances during 11 years at Leeds United, and was a First Division title winner in 1969.
    He also won a second division winner's medal in addition to the League Cup in 1968 and two Inter-Cities Fairs Cups.
    Sprake, who won 37 caps during a 12-year career with Wales, joined Birmingham City in 1973.
    Leeds United sent its "condolences and support to the Sprake family at this difficult time".

Not a hero of mine, and a figure of fun for some because of his howlers, but someone who figured large in my formative football years, and overall a good keeper.

RIP Gary

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

In my glory hunting days back in the 70s, Leeds Utd was my team.....(not any more!)
    I still remember the team/squad!!
    Main Team: Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, J Giles, E Grey.
    Harvey, Trevor Cherry, F Grey, etc
    While most of my mates were Liverpool & Man U fans....Leeds was the team I followed...
    Of course it goes without saying.....Bristol City was and will always be my No1 team!!

RIP Gary Sprake

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  3. Angelicnumber16

Chelsea were my 1st Division team and they managed to beat 'Dirty' Leeds 2-1 in a replay at Old Trafford of the 1970 FA Cup Final after a 2-2 draw on a very sandy/muddy Wembley pitch.
    The Leeds team from 1970 wasn't too different to the one City played and beat them in the 1974 FA Cup 5th round replay.
    I think the changes to the first team between the 2 games were David Harvey in goal and Trevor Cherry instead of Cooper maybe, when we beat them ?
    Good days and happy memories though

4. oneforthebristolcity

I remember that cup final replay, I was close to tears!! Was there for the City game too..
    1972 made up for the 1970 final when Leeds thrashed Arsenal 1-0 with a cross from Jones and a bullet header from Clarkey boy!!
    Was never the same when Revie went, just loved that team, (I know many didn't) funny but don't like then at all now!!

5. Angelicnumber16

I was allowed to stay up and watch the FA Cup Final Replay which was an evening match.
    Can't remember if it was shown live or not, but I suspect it wasn't. But I do remember Dave Webbs header to win the game.
    I'm not sure Revie was a very nice person, but I knew personally and was close to Norman Hunter when he came down to Bristol.

He had a Sports Shop in Whitchurch and I worked next door to it in the Butchers after school and on Saturday mornings !

6. oneforthebristolcity

I belonged to a football club and we used the City ground for training.....Norman Hunter took some of the sessions.....what a nice guy he was....Knew how to work you though!

7. Angelicnumber16

He was a real gentle giant

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Gary Sprake was the weak link in the best team never to win the European Cup.

9. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Classy I'm sure they will appreciate that at the memorial service <doh>

RedorDead likes this.
  10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Whenever I saw Leeds you could count on Gary Sprake being between the posts, and when you looked at who was playing in front of him it was like a page from the true book of football. He was a member of one of the best sides to play in England and his passing is a sad day for all who remember the beautiful game.

From the far reaches of Canada I send my sympathy to his family and friends. R.I.P.

11. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

RP if you eat a lot oranges make sure the skins are not yellow or green ....