1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Robbie Stockdale...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Oct 6, 2015.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Seems he is taking over team affairs whilst we search for a new manager, and apparently we are not going to be rushed into naming the new boss. Thought Bracewell might take charge and find Stockdales step up interesting. Thoughts anyone.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I think game time for some talented young lads who truly deserve a shot. Fingers crossed, he's been doing a sterling job with the development squad.

3. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I was certain that we would have had somebody virtually walking through the door before it closed behind Dick!

4. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Need someone in for the mags game

5. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

One of my claims to fame - I coached, Robbie Stockdale when he was a we nipper !

at one time, I had him in the same group as David Wheater, Stuart and brother Robert Parnaby

......and one Mr Jonathan Woodgate.

#cockynamedropper

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jeez, just how old are you Rackem?

I had you down as a young whippersnapper! <doh>

7. Brian Storm

Ha! Was that at Hurworth?

8. cumbrianmackem

With Lens banned at WBA could it give Stockdale the chance to have Duncan Watmore out on the right, and give the lad a go.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  9. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

10. BackO'TheNet

Nah, it was in Redcar at the Leisure Centre in the early 90's and at Middlesbrough's Ayresome Park, also with Teeside Tigres.

Way back in the early 90's, I was commissioned by the FA to run the annual Youth Coca Cola Awards courses (football skills for children between 7 and 14 year olds. ) I wish I'd kept all my register records. I can't remember all the names and tbh I don't remember Woodgate, however, it was Wheater who confirmed that Woodgate was there the first year that he joined.

My job as an F.A Coach was not only to teach the skills, but to record progress and to put them through their final exams against the clock, i.e. running with the ball, turning with the ball, changing direction, dribbling, shooting, heading, defending etc.

I sent their scores off to the F.A. who in turn sent back the results. The 5 star grades were referred to the local professional club ( Middlesbrough FC)

Loved every minute of it.

I saw Wheater about 7 years ago in a local pub and to my amazement he recognised me and came over and called me, 'coach'. He admitted that he'd forgot my fist name but then he said, I do remember you support a rubbish team....errm, it's either Sunderland or Newcastle".

He introduced me to his wife and his grandad and told him that I was his first coach.....What a lovely lad. ...He made my night.

He went on to play for England not long after that.

Yep I'm an old fart of 54 now !

11. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

if its true and DA told Short his intention to leave after the Man Utd game, then our owner has had even longer to come up with a replacement. It now makes me think that he is getting rejected with offers of talks or he hasn't even started looking yet, with putting Stockade in temporary charge would suggest that could be a drawn out affair...hope not, but my expectations are not that high right now.

red&white wanderer and grandpops like this.
  12. cumbrianmackem

Rackem, After retiring from my job I went to work for MFC at the Riverside doing community work. I used to help organise kids coaching courses during school holidays using local coaches, both male and female before moving to the Herlingshaw Centre at Eston where the club refurbished th e old indoor roller skate centre. We had thousands of kids through the door and set up a lot of five a side league's for all age groups, the kids loved it. We had Jim Platt as head coach and also had an input at the educational unit in the east stand at the Riverside stadium which was named after Willie Maddren who opened it a few years before he died from Motor Nurone disease.
    We had great times dealing with these kids who were always enthusiastic. Did you get involved in any of that yourself...Happy Days.

BackO'TheNet likes this.
  13. BackO'TheNet

Yeah I remember the Herilngshaw Centre, I used to use that place for training during the winter with my local Sunday pub team, The Norman Conquest.

I remember when the building was redesigned to accommodate much better coaching facility and the whole revamp of the Eston baths for the Academy.

I packed it all up in the late 90's mate....but like you say...Happy Days indeed.!

14. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Not comfortable being managerless for long but no act in haste regret at leisure - we want a manager for at least a 1 1/2 season and us at least upper mid table in premier league - but .... Ellis needs to do due diligence here - Congleton needs to just go - imo

Class of 73 likes this.
  15. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that. With Lens suspended it could be an ideal opportunity for Watmore to have a crack.

You know, Stockdales tenure in the hot seat, however temporary, might be rather interesting.

Who knows, in a months time there may be a thread "Do we really need a new manager?" <laugh>

Got to stay positive mate `cos this lot`s starting to get to me. <wah>

Class of 73 and Brian Storm like this.
  16. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

WBA will have McClean playing on the left. We all remember what his tracking back was like, so Watmore could have a field day!

grandpops likes this.
  17. Brian Storm

I hope the lad gets a shot mate. We could be on the edge of a golden generation whether we stay up or go down, but somebody needs to show a bit of faith. It's too much to expect Watmore central with Gooch out wide but those two are telepathic, infact a lot of these young uns are really well tuned to each other. I'm at the point of thinking we've brought in some very good attacking players, a blend with youth could give us a new lease of life. God knows we've tried everything else.

grandpops likes this.
  18. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Believe it or not he performed well for WBA against Everton and their winning goal came from the right wing after he had been taken off. Football eh!

Teessidemackem likes this.
  19. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

The Sunderland board (SAFsee) lists Paul Bracewell as first team coach on the 'Back Room Staff' page this morning! Stockdale is development coach.

20. Brian Storm

Do you remember this logo from the boro training gear?
    please log in to view this image