1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ellewoods, Nov 26, 2014.

1. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

We were talking about a specific film. I never suggested in any way, shape or form that I don't think some people think it's "cool" to have an alternate opinion.

2. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

You really are an odd one. Desperate to argue about anything and everything.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  3. bum_chinned_crab

Go back and see who first challenged about TPA not having any 5 star reviews.

That was before you realised a) you were too young at the time to remember, b) lived at the other side of the world, c) the internet wasn't very prevalent then and d) you found some 5 star reviews yourself anyway.

4. SydneyTiger14

Oh dear, did I contribute to the discussion on the topic of the thread? How silly of me.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  5. bum_chinned_crab

You accused me or arguing and I simply pointed out that you started it. I didn't criticise anyone for discussing the topic of the thread.

6. SydneyTiger14

<doh> Stop being pathetic. I'm criticising you for arguing over the notion of it being cool to be contrary. Which you should know all about, you adore being contrary.

Just drop it. For once.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  7. bum_chinned_crab

But I agree with you, some people do think it's cool to be contrary. I never said anything different at any stage and I have no idea why you think I did.

Also, it's easy to reply to someone and say 'drop it' without, you know, dropping it yourself.

8. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Captain Scarlet.

9. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

Since the days of the Internet . . . . since the general public have had a voice and public opinion NO !!! categorically NO .
    I use meta scores , read users reviews but professional reviews are often skewed , biased and meaningless - especially when in almost every case the reviewer is doing this on a trial item or a free book / ticket / play etc etc . Mark Kermode i trust as his opinions are similar to mine , but its never an opinion i take as sacrosanct .

Having had vast experience in the reviewing procedures ( i did used to review on websites waaay back :p ) one massive bugbare on the professional review is that an AVERAGE score isnt 5 its 7 . . . Now this is the clue to the problem with Pro reviews , take time to read a 70% and you will come away feeling underwhelmed and undecided , thats a 50% score . . . go and try it .

Re SW - the thing with the media , they were happy to rate the prequels positively (fair enough) but fast forward ten years and they tried to tell us that altho the prequels were discredited in the beginning , they are today looked on more favourably .
    My source there is Mr Plinkett (youtube him ) - you should know this fella , he showed many examples . Basically the reviewing media claimed the media AND the public changed its opinion on these movies . . . when infact the media never did , they just made up positive vibe in 2014/15

a lot of word waffle on a football day i know

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know anyone who discusses Star Wars films, outside of this board. :emoticon-0112-wonde

over18and legal likes this.

11. bum_chinned_crab

Finally got round to watching this last night, as I wanted to wait until it got quiet as I can't be done with watching films flanked left, right and centre by ****s.

Anyway, Jesus H how much have people overexagerated this? Even more than TFA. The first 45 mins we're truly awful and at that point it was on course to be worse even than AotC. It did get very good after the action moved to Scarif and the Vadar part when boarding the ship is up there with the very best moments of the entire story, but it's still only enough to make it an average film overall.

6 out of 10.

12. SydneyTiger14

Everyone has their interpretation I guess.

13. WhittlingStick

people are always entitled to their opinion . . . . . even if its completely wrong :emoticon-0136-giggl

14. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

I thought Rogue 1 was completely different to any other Star Wars movie. It was much darker, if I had to say how good it was, I'd put it up there with the originals.
    For me, I can only imagine the way I felt when I left, being similar to how people left the original Star Wars!
    I thought it was brilliant, just in case it wasn't obvious.

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  15. bum_chinned_crab

Just a point but if you scroll back to the time I posted on here how overrated TFA was at the time during mass hysteria about it being one of the best films ever. And then 12 months later...

16. WhittlingStick

im not bothered enough , it was just a playful observation . . ;)

17. SydneyTiger14

Not entirely sure anyone said it was one of the best films ever - unless you mean best Star Wars films ever, in which case it certainly is.

18. bum_chinned_crab

Oh so you heard the views of all the people I know in the world? And all the way from the antipodes? Wow you really do get around.

19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

A new species of Gibbon recently discovered in China has been named the Skywalker, as apparently the people who discovered it were Star Wars fans.

I'm sure he's flattered.

please log in to view this image

20. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

stop monkeying around OLM<cheers>