1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

sainsburys

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, May 6, 2015.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Made big losses over the last 12 months, they say they are moving away from large stores. I really hope that the agreement that has been signed is water tight and the judge that here's the case upholds it in accordance with the law and not in sympathy with Sainsbury's. This might be a good time to remember the Green party and its meddling in things that could cost us a lot of money and our new ground.

2. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Listening to the details of Sainsbury's 'plight' made me realise that they really are
    going to try every trick in the book to wriggle out of any agreement!

3. Thorngas

Thorngas Active Member

I'm thinking they will do some deal with rovers. Offer to pay back legal expensives and any other costs the club had to pay out
    And that will be that
    Unless they pay Rovers for the site and sell it of themselves
    I can't see a sainsburys bring built any time soon. The days have gone of the big supermarkets. But let's hope that the courts give justice to the blue and whites
    Amen.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

play fair sainsburys. buy the damn thing and then sell it for housing or a school or whatever and get your money back. you entered an agreement, contracts signed, just pay up and get on with it.

Thorngas likes this.
  5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

They usually write off quite a lot of money in these sorts of scenarios, so we should get a decent payoff.

6. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I don't think it's true to say that the big supermarket idea is dead.

I remember conferences at Gateway before Somerfield (remember them with HQ at Hartcliffe?) where they discussed whether they should allow Aldi or Lidl to have franchises within their stores. In fact Gateway actually opened some small supermarkets in the North to compete with them. That must have been twenty years ago at least.

I believe the impetus for change has come about because shoppers in the recent recession have become more aware that they can buy more inexpensive food items at the Aldi/Lidl shops, albeit not necessarily the well known brands. In the long run the big boys will get their act together and cut their expenses and use their superior purchasing power to compete. There is work to be done of course when within a Lidl store you can for example buy digestive biscuits for 31 pence when the well known brand is priced at 99 pence and there isn't a lot of difference of quality between the two.

As far as I know there isn't an Aldi or Lidl near the Mem and IMO any store on that site could have a decent chance to be successful.

The legal beavers will know the strength of each party's case and one side or the other must know that they have a weaker position. I would be surprised if there wasn't a dialogue on the table at the moment to avoid the expenses of the case being heard in the High Court.

old timer likes this.
  7. Thorngas

Thorngas Active Member

Just by reading the first couple of sentences from sainsburys today begs to differ. The large supermarket days are dead

Attached Files:

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Nothing stopping Sainsburys of building a smaller store on the mem and selling the rest of the land for housing and recoup money back.

9. Thorngas

Thorngas Active Member

Now that would be the most honourable way for sainsburys to act.
    Can't see it myself
    Well we will all find out next week what path we follow.
    Fingers crossed it's good news

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Think about it, a nice little store right in the middle of a new housing developement. Where will these people in their new houses go to pick up a few bits and bobs from a supermarket? Maybe a supermarket right on their doorstep! Guaranteed money prety much. Houses are needed - so we are all told.
    Sainsburys can come out of this the hero to the locals due to the following...
    A local store not a massive supermarket...
    Less deliveries needed = less noise etc...
    Many new houses built....
    Removed a football club that sometimes have trouble outside in the street with opposing fans, causes litter, drunks, solves parking issues on match days etc.
    The locals will be happy.

They will have a little store which will gain a lot of custom and gain a lot of money back selling the rest of the land for housing, eventually recouping all their money back.
    Sainsburys will be happy.

Rovers get UWE and will be happy.

Its a win win for everyone.

But.....

11. Sapphire

If you can be arsed to read the article via this attachment printed in the Telegraph yesterday you will find that the four big supermarkets are fighting back to recover their market position and promoting the benefits of the large supermarkets over the smaller discount stores.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/

12. old timer

Should we now be worried that the green party have so many local councillors as they so against the new supermarket

13. Gastronomic

It's in the High Court on Thursday... I'm sure that's a distraction we could do without...

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

and goes on for 5 days doesnt it? higgs said he will be in court everyday but will miss sunday as will be at wembley. shouldnt be a distraction on the pitch though for sundays game. wouldnt it be great to beat grimsby and the courts demand sainsburys cough up?

15. Sapphire

Sainsbury must be annoyed that Rovers have had a cash bonus with the end of season gates and Wembley etc. The Rovers coffers are no longer on the lean side.

16. Gastronomic

As you say it would be great if we won the final and then got a positive result in the courts...

17. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

We'll get a payoff at best and lose the case completely at worst.

Sainsburys and Tesco have both had to make significant pay outs to local councils etc recently after reneging on development deals. I reckon we might get £8 million plus legals, but UWE is dead.

£8 million plus a stadium improvement grant could pretty much transform the Mem.

I just hope that contract is watertight.

18. old timer

I am concerned Bluebaldee that now the green party has the extra seats on the council that they will fight any improvements that we want to do to the mem. I thought I read somewhere that planning permission for the ground improvements had lapsed

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

baldee, stadium improvement grants are for football league clubs i believe. could be wrong but i think im right. if we dont get the full amount from sainsburys the uwe will pull out anyway as they want to use the land for other things but not prepared to wait any longer if we cant pay up.

old timer, that issue worries me too if more greens are involved in the decision making. yes, our old plans to redevelope the mem has passed. 2 years was the deadline before planning permission is lost. way over 2 years now.

20. old timer

I believe we are going to be where we are for a very long time. With UWE wanting to pull out I think we will have to accept any offer that covers our costs and stay where we are because we wont find other land or finance to proceed. Bristol will continue to live up to it's NIMBY reputation.