1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints are 'increasingly hopeful' on Victor Wanyama signing a new deal at St. Mary's

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I must admit I gave up buying newspapers many years ago as I got so fed up with their "activities" and the proliferation of lies and BS. I do hate to think I am paying a contribution to their existence

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

And yet we go on the internet....more crap is out there on the web than ever written in a paper.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

*damn

:emoticon-0136-giggl

4. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

It's "Damned" actually.

5. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

7. fatletiss

8. fatletiss

I can't believe I tried to correct the King of the pedants.

Plastique Bertrand likes this.
  9. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

First rule of being a numpty. Never apologise. Blame it on a typo or technical error causing a typo. Come on, FLT, you have had enough practice at making a fool of yourself. Thought you'd have got the idea by now.

Lambertissier and fatletiss like this.
  10. fatletiss

Almost professional at it :)

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

At least that crap is free of charge. There are still some people paying for the privilege. :)

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  12. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

OK time to come out.

My name's Lambo and I'm a paperholic. It started with glimpses of my dad's Daily Mirror. I've had counselling about my father's role. He introduced me to Andy Capp and before I knew it I was reading the editorials. By the time I started work, at the age of 15, I needed more and I'd moved on to The Guardian. Cryptic crosswords were my Achilles heel. Then being involved in local politics and trade unions I was introduced to ... THE MORNING STAR. There was no going back. Suddenly the anodine news on BBC radio and TV was not enough, but then the invasion of Czechoslovakia changed all my perceptions and I spent years experimenting with other papers and journals until the Independent arrived.

I can only apologise to my fellow posters for supporting the print industry. I hope someone will help me overcome this crippling addiction that plays havoc with my personal relationships. And please, I've tried the internet and it's crap. Friends, it ain't free. I don't know how, but I reckon the buggers are making us pay somehow - or is this just the old Marxist paranoia re-surfacing?

13. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

Not one of you picked up on the other error. I can't go on planting deliberate errors for you to identify and correct if you can't recognise them.

14. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I sympathise. I was brought up in a house devoted to news. When C4 started an hour of news at 7pm so my Dad could plug an important news gap, his life was almost complete. If there'd been something from 8-9 he could have spent five hours an evening watching news and would have been overjoyed. He was furious when the BBC moved its news to 10pm so he couldn't watch the BBC then ITV cover exactly the same news he'd watched twice already.

Well, I rebelled. After reading a broadsheet from cover to cover every day, watching TV news and listening to the whole of Today and PM, I gave up pretty much all news about ten or twelve years ago (bar the first three minutes or so of Today's 7am news and the Economist once a week). I don't miss it at all. I'm much happier than I was now that I'm unaware that Mrs Grottles of Gravesend was battered for her handbag. I now think the world's a decent place because almost everyone I meet, from all walks of life, of all races, is decent. I'm happy to base my world view on that.

Just stop. Cold turkey did it for me. You'll never look back.

Vin

fatletiss and crusti like this.
  15. TheSecondStain

Totally agree. I did very much the same. Yes, I still like to keep abreast of several items here and there as I don't want my world view to become too parochial, but it's not the be all and end all anymore. I'm so much happier because of it. I don't fret over things that I wouldn't have had the power to affect in any slight way, so if I pick them up in my occasional wanderings across the Net then that'll do. I don't seek it.

In comparison, my eldest brother watches rolling news and the same items half a dozen times only to change TV channels for a news programme. He worries constantly, yet has no personal reason to do so. Quite honestly, it's pathetic to see.

Indeed, just stop. Go for a long walk every day instead.

16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

The Times has been dumbed down and turned into a woman's magazine. I only buy it these days because the very lovely Mrs Godders:emoticon-0115-inlov likes to read it.

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I hardly ever watch the news or read a paper these days, the 2 minute summaries on the radio are plenty to keep me up to speed, although I often find out what's happening in the world on here! If I do buy a paper I always read the sport section and do the crossword before I look at the front pages. It's not that I'm not interested, it's just that I find the vast majority of news stories to be profoundly depressing, and I'd rather concentrate on my own little world, or, as TSS suggests, go for a walk.

By the way, I see Lord Lucan is dead, allegedly.

18. TheSecondStain

Isn't it odd that our media, in providing us with blanket and in depth coverage of home and world events, in order to make us better informed, has helped to make us unhappy? We know the cure.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not even sure that the media is intended for that anymore, a lot of stuff reported is designed to make people think in a certain way, a government tool to control perception and it works which is why I tend to avoid it all completely.

EDIT: We are talking generally here aren't we and not sport ?

20. TheSecondStain

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with that assessment. Perhaps I should say that the media intended to better inform us, but the message has grown and gone down separate political avenues according to which is the reporting channel.

And yes, general news media, not sport.