1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints in takeover talks with Chinese group

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Nov 2, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I'm confident the takeover will happen. I'm just not confident who the next owners will be anymore.

2. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

.. or what decade it may be in?

3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

If it was all in place, the fact that Lander haven't come up with the money should sound alarm bells. Even if the fault lies with their government and not them, it still bodes ill for the future. Gao has said that Katharina has changed her mind, whereas (according to the Echo) she hasn't.....which suggests her doubts are about Lander.

5. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the most unlikely thing about the deal for me has always been that the best option has been the Chinese deal(s).

We know the club is on a sound financial footing, has a direction and philosophy and in a sport rapidly losing what few morals and norms it has, we have a supportive and pretty pragmatic fan base with the potential to grow.

Has always seemed to me that for some one with the kahunas and the money, we're a very promising prospect....

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

In a few years we will be talking about Lander the same as we do SISU.
    Chancers n shysters.

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Absolutely. I've felt this for some time, and if the Lander deal falls through, I will feel like we have dodged a bullet.

8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

****e, we've got 3x main threads, which all are non-events & could be closed down.

9. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Exactly my concerns

10. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Same. I'm happy with a sale, indeed I think it's both inevitable and necessary. But not to Lander, thanks.

manxsaint, KillerCephalopod and Libby like this.

11. ----HistoryRepeating----

Fear not, Lander are putting pressure on all the pimps, dealers & shysters in China & are confident the deal will go through in the coming weeks.
    Phew. Was worried for a minute.

12. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

According to an article in The Telegraph, Landers can't get permission from the government to transfer the money out of the country..........looking doubtful to me
    If Landers can't get that funding out of the country what about the £100m transfer fund? Lol

13. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...holdings-risk-missing-chance-buy-controlling/

Not sure we want someone who has the money, but may be prevented from accessing it. If they managed to buy Saints, what about the money for further investment (as Dark Lord said)...that money is one of the major reasons for Katharina to sell us (from our POV...she may have 210 million reasons :)).

14. ----HistoryRepeating----

Kat is looking to sell 80% of share, but if Lander get their foot in the door she'll have lost 100% of her fathers legacy.

Saintharry13 likes this.
  15. fran-MLs little camera

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/46096/

Piece from Ugly Inside suggesting that Lander's option to buy finishes today....leaving Katharina to consider other possible purchasers (if she doesn't choose to give Gao more time). Hope she does look elsewhere....what good is an investor that has a government able to block money moves on a whim.

manxsaint and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  16. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

I said a while ago that I didn't think this particular takeover would happen. I hoped it wouldn't and I still feel the same way. Something is decidedly fishy about this entire process. Nothing takes this long once agreement is reached between the buyer and vendor. Will we now simply bimble along, flirting with UEFA slots if Kat continues, rather than push on as she appears to want us to do? If so, I would be a perfectly happy fan. Sadly, I suspect that she wants to realise her earnings from her Dad's investment in us. Who would want to buy us in order to flash more cash in an attempt to break through that glass ceiling? There are not many who would want to I'm sure. Not unless they come from the same mould as Abramovich because only those with egos as large as their own bank accounts will be willing to throw the hundreds of millions a serious attempt would take at a football club. Certainly no business or hedge fund will want to and that route will only lead us to mediocrity and stagnation from lack of investment. Long live Kat!

17. ----HistoryRepeating----

We're the golden chalice for any Hedge fund. Almost the perfect club.

18. fran-MLs little camera

I think that I would sell now if I owned a football club....money sloshing around and bubble not burst. Strike whilst the iron is hot...but 210 million is too low at present prices.

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah if you take into account VVD is being touted at £70m and you get minimum £100m for finishing anywhere in the PL then £40m for everything else does seem very low. I have no idea if this is how they come up with values for a football club though so I might be way off

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Mind you, I'd rather they (whomever they end up being) got a good deal, leaving them more free cash to spend on improving the squad. Maybe.