1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Short speaks

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

I think you hit the nail on the head, Short has been naive and made massive mistakes. I cannot beat up on the guy too much he has tried but has been let down by poor recruiting mainly but I guess it's always going to be hard recruiting the right people for jobs you don't understand.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Yeah, his recruiting. He recruited the managers, ceo and dof's. Should never had taken the chair. Entirely his fault in doing so.

3. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

Totally agree but then he still would of needed to hire the right person to hire the right people but it does show that a good chairman is so important just like any top manager to a business

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's what I'm saying- Short listened to the wrong people and took absolutely no notice of the excellent examples of well run football clubs that were under his nose. When one thing went wrong, his solution was to go off at a completely different angle, influenced by another set of useless advice.

5. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Which injured players would that be mate? and coming close doesn't win matches unfortunately but kets agree tom disagree as i reckon we need a massive rebuild of the squad.

O'`shea, - `Out of contract - finished.
    Jones - ****e and needs ti go.
    Djilibodji - As above.
    Kone - As above.
    Larsson - out of contract get rid.
    Rodwell - Get rid
    Hoff - Out off contract
    Pienaar - out of contract and always crocked anyway, get rid.

I could go on but i think you would agree, all of the above are either useless or injury prone or too old. I deliberately haven't mentioned the loanees.

6. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Add to your list of the loanees returning to their own clubs, those few we have that others will want, and we're left with a five a side squad and a couple of subs.

And still in potential charge is a chastened and humiliated manager who's lost the confidence to stray beyond past clubs for new signings.

I'm already concerned about next season, never mind this one.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  7. mackemwelder

IMO the club hasn't been run right since Bob Murray departed. Both the Drumaville Consortium and Ellis Short are wannabe club owners, neither had a modicum of experience of running a football club, hence the financial situation we find ourselves in today.

Drumaville were a bunch of wealthy guys who though it would be good to own football club, then realised that they were out of their depth and sold out to a bloke who thought he could come in and run the club like he does with his other businesses. Unfortunately cos he knew **** all about football, he took advice of others who were equally inexperienced and clueless.

Between them, they've took what should have been a thriving club with a massive fan base and ran it into the ground. As a comparison, look at Southampton, Bournmouth, Burnley, Watford, etc, etc. Limited resources, smaller attendance figures, etc, but i don't see them struggling with massive debts and piss poor playing staff.

Makemstine Roger and LAMackem like this.
  8. mackemwelder

I deliberately left them off mate as they are gone regardless, none of them have stood out and doubt their parent clubs will want them back either.

TBF to Moyes, he was dealt a pretty **** hand and given false promises by the owner, he then had massive injury problems to deal with and no money for replacements, most managers would have struggled under those same circumstances mate. Not defending the bloke, but he was handicapped from the get go.

9. Burly Hurley

No argument there mate.

Short can't fire himself or sell the club yet but he can replace the board and the manager and start again.

And he should start the rebuilding process immediately. Today. With 2 phonecalls.

The first to Moyes thanking him for his efforts but to pop in tomorrow to empty his desk.

The second to the Board Secretary to call an extraordinary board meeting tomorrow to hand out the P45s.

mackemwelder likes this.
  10. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

He spent more money in his first transfer window than any other manager in our clubs history.

He then declared relegation after two games.

He handicapped himself.

BIG BAZ likes this.

11. Burly Hurley

With about 10 days of the transfer window still open. Not exactly the best advertisement for potential new signings!

Deleted likes this.
  12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

He put a ceiling on our expectations calling relegation from day one.

That ceiling was a message to everyone - staff, players and fans.

We didn't even get close to that ceiling, which is also worrying.

Deleted likes this.
  13. mackemwelder

Nah mate, he was handed a piss poor squad to start off with, a squad that had struggled all of the previous season and once again narrowly avoided the drop. That was the time for the then manager to start over and bring in fresh faces, unfortunately for us that manager ****ed off for his chance in a lifetime job and made a right **** of it in the process. Moyes picked up the peaces with something like 11 days of the window left, he panicked and didn't spend wisely for sure, but given the short time he had to recruit and lack of funds to make that much of a difference he was always going to struggle.

As i said previously, i'm not defending the bloke, i think he's a spent force and dated and negative in his approach. I'm just saying that any manager would have struggled under those circumstances.

Ellis Short needs to stand up and take a huge percentage of the blame for the state we're in right now and either learn rapidly from his past mistakes and move us forward, or get the **** out of dodge and give someone else a go.The club, like Moyes, is on a slippery slope and if we don't address the issues we will continue to slip further.

14. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Dont agree, mate.

He was left a better and stronger squad than the previous 4 or 5 managers. He completely ****ed it by dismantling it, not playing the players with quality (Khazri) and he brought in a load of ****e. We have good players, Sam Allardyce showed us that. David Moyes couldn't get anything out of them and his tactics have been an absolute shambles.

You say he had 11 days to sort out the squad? He came in July and had 6 or 7 weeks of a transfer window. That's a few weeks more to maneuvere than Sam Allardyce had.

Agreed that Ellis Short isn't perfect. David Moyes is responsible for this season, though. Our worst manager since Wilkinson.

15. Brian Storm

People still going on about Moyes Relegation comments.(Doing the same over on RTG last night) yet still to this day nobody has answered why it's ok for every other manager to warn us of a relegation battle, but Moyes doing it is so bang out of order.

It's a load of bollocks. Completely lacks consistency. Has he not messed up enough tactically? Why the need to show double standards as supporters. Big bad manager said some home truths. Acceptable if we like you but if we don't like you it's akin to him coming on to our misseus?

16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Don't remember other managers saying it as early in the season as Moyes did, what was it a couple of games in? Different to when half the season has gone and they could barely deny the situation.

17. Brian Storm

Dick said it before we kicked a ball, repeatedly. Fact. But he was hailed as a Media Genius and it was just to try and get more spends.

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I suppose he would have been speaking from experience having already been through it with the same bunch of players, you would like to think that a manager taking over a new team would have just a modicum of belief that he would be successful with them.

19. Brian Storm

So it's ok for him to do it then and not Moyes? Same for MoN and Sam then? I don't buy the bullshit. It's selective offence. So transparent. Doesn't wash with me.

They all said it during open windows, no coincidence. It's an undeniably running theme from our managers. Warn of relegation during Transfer Windows.

20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Did any of them say it shortly after taking over though? That's why it's different for me. It didn't feel like he was trying to get more money it felt like he'd given up before he started. I think before he said that the majority were willing to give him every chance, it's not like they were already against him and looking for ammunition.