1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should Bristol City Sign Matty Taylor?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Nov 30, 2016.

?

Should Bristol City Sign Matty Taylor ?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2016.
  1. Yes

37.5%
  2. No

62.5%
  1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

How likely is it that Bristol Rovers star Matty Taylor will switch allegiance to Bristol City?
    By a_stockhausen
    please log in to view this image

Which shirt will Matty Taylor be wearing after the transfer window

Players moving directly between bitter rivals Bristol City and Bristol Rovers are about as rare as Government ministers advocating the appointment of Nigel Farage as Britain's ambassador to the United States.

In all, a mere 11 individuals have pulled on the red of City AND the blue of Rovers, Peter Hooper becoming the first to do so in the 1960s and David Clarkson the most recent.

But only four have moved directly from one Bristol club to the other, Clarkson being joined in that exclusive category by Donnie Gillies, Terry Cooper and Steve Phillips.

In each case, the player involved switched allegiance from the Robins to the Pirates. Should Matty Taylor become the twelfth player to represent the blue and red halves of Bristol's football divide, he will be the first to move directly from Rovers to City.

With the January transfer window about to open in little more than four weeks from now, speculation is growing that the man whose goals powered Rovers to two successive promotions could be on his way out of the Memorial Stadium.

Given City's requirement for a striker to replace Jonathan Kodjia, who was sold to Championship rivals Aston Villa for £15m in August, it is tempting to make the mental leap and suggest the possibility of Taylor jumping ship and joining forces with Lee Johnson's Robins on the other side of town.

Of course, the very prospect of such a move will fill Rovers supporters with horror. But should we rule it out altogether? Maybe not.

Certainly, Rovers chairman Steve Hamer is not ruling out the possibility of Taylor departing in January. In a recent interview with the Bristol Post, he said: "If there is a deal on the table that is good for the football club and good for the player then it is something you have to consider if and when that situation arises. But Matty has recently signed a new contract and selling him in the January window is the last thing on our minds at the moment."

That is classic chairman speak for 'we are prepared to sell if the price is right.' Championship clubs Brighton, Wolves, Cardiff and QPR have already been linked with the 26-year-old marksman, who is reportedly attracting interest from Scottish Premiership newcomers Glasgow Rangers.

Is he the kind of player City should be looking at? On the face of it, he is. City are still to replace Kodjia, who netted 20 times in the Championship last season, and Taylor is a natural goal-scorer. His record, albeit at a lower level, speaks for itself – 63 goals in two and a half seasons and still counting.

Brentford's Scott Hogan and Huddersfield raider Nahki Wells are others who have been linked, albeit tentatively, with City, who have made the recruitment of a striker a priority.

But given the inflated prices in the domestic market in January, it is debatable whether any of the above would represent good value for money. City have invested time, energy and financial resource into improving their scouting network on the Continent and Western Europe may well offer the best opportunity of picking up another Kodjia-type forward on the relative cheap.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/how-li...bristol-city/story-29943365-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

What price would you expect City to pay for him, I reckon up to £2 million.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

In this day and age it unlikely to be less than ..undisclosed fee -:emoticon-0100-smile .. but should a fee be broadcast then you have to consider who is in the pot... QPR and BHA have money, Wolves and Cardiff getting desperate! and a month is long time in football for "tits up" to come into the equation .. having said that

new contract and relatively young, could have more to give £3.5m as a starter

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

This kid is a natural.

1.5 million would get him :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. johngalleyfan2

I voted no as
    no provisio for is "if the price was right" would need to be less than £2.5m

6. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I don't give a monkey's who he plays for - if he's good enough then yes

I've never seen him play, so can't comment if he is or not?

7. johngalleyfan2

we have to rely on the ability of our management to decide if he is ..actually should say could he be good enough .. good for them might be c*** for anyone else

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of him either, but he is a L1 player and there is no guarantee he can deliver at this level. Bradshaw hasn't.

But if we can get him at a reasonable price then he is worth a punt I'd say, but given the likely competition that's probably unlikely too and I can see the price tag going up and up.

Even if we did bag him, we would still require someone to play alongside him and add depth to the squad for when Tammy leaves. Engval is still largely untried and the rest aren't really worth talking about.

9. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

He's probably got a minimum release clause in his contract and its probably isn't going to be that big, probably a £1Million. However I'm sure we would have scouted him seeing he was available on a free at the start of the season and on our doorstep. We didn't want him then so I'm not sure why we would want to spend money on him now. There hasn't been a plethora of strikers stepping up from League One and being successful, so not sure why he would be any different. Also the way he wound his contract down and messed the likes of Oxford around I'm not sure if he has the right DNA for us anyway :emoticon-0100-smile:emoticon-0105-wink:. So its a no from me.

10. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

What like

Rickie Lambert

Charlie Austin

Jimmy Bullard

Gary Hooper

Troy Deeney

Les Ferdinand

Malcolm Christie

Grant Holt

Kevin Philips...

To name but a few... (all the above were snapped from non league)

Red Robin likes this.

11. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

If he's as good a player as we are told then why not? Perhaps we could employ Holloway as our new manager just to rub salt in the wound. Just kidding EH.

12. Loathsneyd

So you name nine players one that isn't a striker, one that retired over ten years ago and a couple of players were no more than one seasons wonders. So given the amount of teams below Championship level I stand by my comments that not many stepping up are successful

13. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

He has got the wrong DNA so big noooooooooooooo!

14. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Then you're talking bollocks..

Probably this, probably that.. you aint got a clue, you're just guessing..

how many do you need btw to fulfil your 'plethora' quota?

15. Loathsneyd

Of course I'm guessing. I never said anything different. Still wouldn't buy him no matter what the price was. And as for plethora, well let's put it this way. In the last ten seasons I would say the only two league one top scorers who have gone on to be bigger and better things are Jordan Rhodes and Lambert. Not a good strike rate and Taylor isn't even the top scorer in that division.

16. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

I remember years ago a certain Rickie Lambert as being a possible target but the majority of fans saying a big "no". Again, history indicates that that wasn't a particularly wise move bearing in mind what he went on to achieve.

Doesn't mean to say that Taylor would do the same, but you never know! What's the saying, "speculate to accumulate! Could be another Kodija, or indeed, another Lambert.

17. Loathsneyd

I've got no problems with the team he currently plays for I just feel we should be looking at other options than spending money on a league one striker we could have got for nothing 6 months ago. I trust in our scouts if he wasn't good enough then for nowt why spend money on him now. It would smack of desperation

18. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

Bearing in mind the differences in league status and values involved, I wonder what Man U supporters think about the re-purchase of Paul Pogba? The management obviously thought he was worth it!

Desperation has nothing to do with it. It is whether he could fulfil a role and whether he has the potential that would make him worth a punt. Obviously, the price would have to be right, and I have no idea what that figure would be.

19. Loathsneyd

If I was going for a punt I would prefer Bogle from Grimsby. He's younger has more goals and assists albeit it in League Two. Taylor isn't exactly tearing league one apart. He's not the top scorer in the division he has no assists and 4 of his 12 league goals have been pens

20. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

No, don't want our club to ever give them money.