1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So, does anyone know where this place they call Humberside is?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by mussiesredhat, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mauled1904

mauled1904 Well-Known Member

Northumberland was named in ancient times as it was the land north of the Humber, does it make sense that we should be from there then!!!!

2. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

Think it may be in the building by Queens Gardens Mussie.
    Got great big letters outsibe saying BBC
    <doh>:emoticon-0103-cool:

3. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

I find it funny when people from Sheffield and other 'South Yorkshire' areas try to wind us up with comments that we're not from Yorkshire. Parts of Sheffield are in traditional Derbyshire, not to mention there is no such thing as the 'South Riding' - there is however, an East Riding.

Same as it makes me laugh that people from Leeds claim to be 'the capital of Yorkshire' / 'the epicentre of Yorkshire' - Er, for about 60/70 years perhaps they may have a slight arguement, but for 700+ years before that, York and Kingston-Upon-Hull made Yorkshire what it is today.

However, I can see why BBC Radio Humberside is called so, due to the area it covers - same as the police and fire services (certain ambulance is separate?). Perhaps they should modernise this with the name that is now used business-wise internationally, which is known as 'Hull and Humber'.

BBC Radio Hull and Humber?

4. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

BBC East Yorkshire, East Yorkshire Police, North Lincolshire Police, East Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, etc etc. Should've been sanctioned in 1996. I personally think there should be a return to a seperate Hull City Police.

5. TygerTyger

TygerTyger Well-Known Member

TWF, I'm intrigued. Where were you born? Where do you now live?

I was born (it says on my birth certificate) in East Yorkshire. I now live in West Yorkshire (Near Leeds). I'm a Yorkshireman. Hull is much more Like Leeds than it is like Grimsby. Bradford is more like Oldham (But Bradford Lads will Tell you they are Yorkshiremen) and Oldham Lads will tell you they are Lancastrians. Actually both those Cities are more like Islamabad, but they are still Yorkies and Lancastrians.

Hull may be next to the Humber, but York is on the Ouse, so to suggest that the nearest river should determine the name of the County you were born in is the sort of bollox that only a Thamesian or an AireandCalderian would spout!

6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Considering the City of Kingston Upon Hull is in one of the original "thridings (3 parts) of Yorkshire" i can't see how anybody can argue with our desire to be back in our historical county but then again it's TWF and he can talk bollocks for England.

7. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

wish he would f*** off ant talk cobblers for Iran or somewhere like that!

8. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

wish he would f*** off ant talk cobblers for Iran or somewhere like that!

9. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

Couldn't have put it better myself.Deluded tits who sing that **** YRA song who actually come from Derbyshire.

<grr>

10. Boothferry2Wembley

Boothferry2Wembley Well-Known Member

When I was born you could only represent Yorkshire county cricket club by being born in Yorkshire. Anyone could represent England, including people born in other countries.
    Men brought their heavily pregnant wives back from all over the globe to be born in Yorkshire. (Gods County)

English by the grace of god
    East yorksire on my birth certificate.

11. fozmaster

fozmaster Active Member

Boothferry2Wembley

That should read

English by Birth

Yorkshiremen by the grace of GOD !!

UTT

12. deanosjockstrap

North yorks, south yorks, west yorks/riding and humberside? How's that make sense?

Hornsea's East Riding, where I'm from, Hull's the East Riding club. South Humberside has scunny and grimsby. And it's only recently we've been top of that pile....so that's nothing to do with it. Most people in south humberside I've spoken to don't get it either - north lincs.

13. guitartrax

guitartrax Active Member

Humberside was forced on many people without consultation. I never reconised Humberside, never wanted Humberside, And am f****** glad its gone. My birth certificate states I was born in E Riding and I will die in the E riding

14. HCFC

HCFC Member

Humberside, along with the other county changes, was brought about purely for the benefit of public services. Peoples identities don't change over night, nor did the geographical location of Kingston upon Hull. Hull has always been in Yorkshire and it's residents have always been Yorkshire folk. The vast majority of East Yorks never wanted the change to happen and it never should have.

Oh and we have nothing in common with the south bank, different accent, everything.

15. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Still talking ****e I see TWF , you should learn some history , call yourself a student ?

16. Sagegee

Sagegee Active Member

Newland, it is TWF's human right to talk ****e, be ignorant about history and call himself a student!

now lets break all that down;

he wants to be an arsehole as en EU state we have quotas to reach on this and he is being of use to us
    being moronic again it is his human right to be an arsehole and i will refer you to my previous statement
    calling himself a student is yet again his human right NAW **** IT as a ****er and a total ****wit, you all have the right to waste the ****

17. Dean24

Dean24 Member

I brought our lass back from Canada twice so my daughters could be born here.

18. Dean24

Dean24 Member

Ah the old pot and kettle thing!!!

19. tigercity

tigercity Well-Known Member

I was born in Beverley in the East Riding of Yorkshire in 1972.. Humberside existed between '74-'96. It existed in name only.

Funny though, Hull is also a river.. nobody minds this so much as we're really only shortening the full title "Kingston upon Hull"..

I bet people who live in Kingston upon Thames don't call it "Thames" however...

"I live in Thames..."

Why does one sound ok but the other wrong?

20. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Do you think Hull has little to do with Yorkshire then dean ?