1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Some Sunday afternoon 'light banter' ... Religion

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by its been fun thanks :), Aug 2, 2015.

1. its been fun thanks :)

its been fun thanks :) ♬♬Badum-tish! ♬♬
    Forum Moderator

So taking into consideration all the diverse religions and belief systems in the world...

Is there any particular one you have an affinity towards? Or are you religious ? Do you have faith in or believe in a Supreme Creator or God?

I'm not religious (I was kinda in youth- being brought up as a young Catholic- suppose you could describe it that I was indoctrinated into religion more than a follower) - I like to read the about diversity of the Human Belief System and the affect it has on us -in my opinion how humanity is held back in check and stifled in growth with the baggage that Religion and its Ideologies that weigh us down.

But ... if there was one I had to pick or maybe hope there is a 'truth' in it or that I had to choose in a 'belief or religion'- I would happy to think that the ancient Indian religious concept of 'Karma' as in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Taoism etc would be the one.

Thought of learning from ones mistakes has a certain appeal - an eternity of different life's to a goal of eternal bliss has a certain fascination.

Its a 'heavy' subject and somewhat emotive to so many people - and albeit an alternative subject to the 'transfer window' discussions so feel free to ignore or contribute <cheers>

2. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

All religions are bollocks.
    Not only are religious leaders all greedy bastards, they also seek to control the hearts & minds of the masses thus preventing them from having open minds & forming their own opinions.

All are based on the same basic principles.

3. its been fun thanks :)

Forum Moderator

I mostly agree - but for arguments sake hypothetically speaking if you had to choose one or if one turns out to be 'true' which one you pick?

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I'm Agnostic. But I'm against organised religion as it's blatantly bollocks. I don't mind Buddhists though, can't knock the quest of enlightenment and pro life morals.

5. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

True that Billy. Many of them lack the basic morals they preach to everybody else.

Billy Death likes this.
  6. Billy Death

Well I wouldn't be a Muslim or a Jew - I'd miss bacon too much.
    I'd probably form my own sect where I could **** whichever female I chose.

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Imo all a crock of ****.

Living in a mainly buddhist country i see both sides to it.

Many people go to the temples to make merit and to be blessed by the monks.

Every morning people wait outside their houses to offer the monks food as they come trundeling down the road in their orange dresses.

The same monks who are meant to have no booze no sex and basically do **** all but pray and bless people. Or chant their funny little songs.

The same monks you see in the shopping centres buying ****ing i phones and laptops.

I once say a video. Of some old monk sat on his big chair in a temple, getting a nosh of some old minger.

Like i said. Its a crock of ****e.

Deleted and Billy Death like this.
  8. Billy Death

I was brought up CofE protestant but soon ****ed that off when I was old enough to make up my own mind.
    The hypocrisy of the church is diabolical.
    These days I'm somewhere in between agnostic & atheist.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  9. Brian Storm

Science defo holds the answers, but all this big bang bollocks starting it all I don't buy. I buy that it happened, I just don't believe it's the beginning and that we haven't even begun to discover the truth in the grand scheme.

10. Brian Storm

It shouldn't be classed as a religion anyway really. It's a philosophy more than anything. Buddhism is a life choice and if some monks want sex or to buy an I Phone it's as much a personal choice and a right to them as it is for you mate. It's their own personal path, nobody elses and they can stray from it as much as they want, they make the rules. The way I see it, how can one achieve true enlightenment without experience?

11. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

I am an atheist.

I started off c of e and joined the choir at St. Thomas's in Pennywell. The reason was purely monetary as we each got 2/6d. for weddings.

I'm with Billy and Funky on this one.

Isn't it obvious that all this 'life is precious' and anti abortion is just a numbers game. Forbidding abortions means more Catholics and more Catholics means more power to them.

When I'm gone you can chuck me in a skip for all I care.

12. its been fun thanks :)

Forum Moderator

I agree - I believe the Universe is a simulation

13. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Makes my brain ache just thinking about that!

God and me went our separate ways many years ago.

14. Brian Storm

The possibilities must be infinite, As an agnostic you'll never convince me off your theory, though I'd embrace the possibility with great intrest.

15. Brian Storm

But you've still have faith haven't you? No matter how tested or practiced it may be. Your wording tells me you do.

16. Billy Death

I quite fancy Rastafarianism but I'm not sure I have a big enough cock.

17. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

No Bri. While they are monks they are not meant to have those things.

Once they are not monks they can do what they want.

Last week there were two major buddha days. All bar no booze allowed. Wtf. Religion getting in the way of people trying to run a business.

18. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No mate. we mutually agreed to not believe in each other 42 years ago.

milton archer likes this.
  19. Brian Storm

You miss my point fella,, I know they're not allowed, but that's little more than house rules much like the laws of the land, I'm talking spiritually. They don't answer to a god and a god doesn't judge them in an afterlife, they are their own judgement they make their own choices, so if they don't adhere to their structure they only answer to themselves in the grand scheme, in other words they're only letting themselves down. Not Buddisum. If you catch my drift?

“Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”

It's the rule of cause and effect init. ie, If you do not love yourself, the world will not love you. If you do not put in effort on yourself, the world will not reward you. It's all a reflection on yourself and not Buddhism.

I don't doubt for a second there's many a Monk who's complete scum bag, but the only one who suffers spiritually is themselves, if they hold no respect for their own spirituality then they're living a lie, again it only reflects on themselves and not Budisum. You can't fail Budiusm, it's not the way it works, you can only fail yourself.

20. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Where your from would be quite a good place to practice this actually, Billy. At peace with yourself and nature (plenty where you are), smoke weed (plenty where you are), live off the fruit of the land (you could do that where you are), wear red, yellow and green (you could do that)

No meat?
    Call Ethiopia your homeland?

Billy Death likes this.