1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Some Sunday afternoon 'light banter' ... Religion

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by its been fun thanks :), Aug 2, 2015.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Then why talk like he exists? You sure your not just unhappy with his choices? He was real when you declared him unreal. They's no shame in a fragile faith, life tests us to the limits.

How did it feel when you lost faith if you don't mind me asking? Did it feel like liberation? Like a weight of your mind? Or did justified bitterness end your faith ? Did that feeling of anger continue beyond?

Don't mean to be too personal fella which is why I haven't asked why you lost faith, it's deeply personal and certainly not for here. But if I've over stepped the mark please accept my apologies and I'll leave it there.

2. Brian Storm

No booze or meat for you then. Still fancy it?;)

3. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

There's always something in the small print isn't there? :headbang:

4. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I know nothing of religion, never been brought up in a remotely religious family. Was never christened nor have I ever been to church apart from funerals and weddings. I couldn't tell you a thing about the bible or any of it's characters. I have never nor don't think I will have ever the slightest bit interest in learning about religion.

I look at it as pure fairy tales. Not meaning to offend, that's just my upbringing and personal views on religion.

5. Billy Death

Can't I just pick the good bits?

6. Deleted #

Sure, every other religion has people picking bits to suit themselves <ok>

7. Brian Storm

I believe you're not Religious 100%. But I know full well you're spiritual. Can't have bipolar without intense brutal drawn out periods of deep reflection.

That's all organised religion is imo, extremely misplaced spirituality. A brutal self assessment will do more for them than their god ever will. Instead at looking at themselves for answers they've looked elsewhere and become brainwashed whilst at their most vulnerable. Instead of asking 'god' for forgiveness they should be asking themselves.

8. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not at all mate. I'm an open book. It was just bitterness and pure hatred to be honest.

Watching my mum waste away to 3 stone over 5 years with cancer made me a very angry kid.

I've never felt the need to re-acquaint myself with him ever since.

I just think if there is a god, and he's watching kids starving to death in their millions, then the son of a bitch has a bad sense of humour!

I have no problem with those who do believe. Some of my best friends are regular church-goers, and to be honest, I have some admiration of their sense of being a part of something greater. Its just not for me.

Its a bit like politics. I may massively disagree with someone's views but I'll argue and defend their right to believe whatever they want to (even RAW <laugh>)

Each to their own is my philosophy.

Edit: sorry mate, its supposed to be light- banter <doh><laugh>

9. Deleted #

I don't think I am spiritual mate. You are right though, plenty of reflecting and questioning goes on. It's not peaceful though, I don't feel anything in that way.

I suppose, I just tell myself what I should be doing, need to be improving on and then try and get on and do it. If I'm spiritual, I don't realise it.

Billy Death and Blunham Mackem like this.
  10. Billy Death

Bloody cracking post that. <ok>

11. its been fun thanks :)

its been fun thanks :) ♬♬Badum-tish! ♬♬
    Forum Moderator

Good 'God' ...that's what I really like about this forum the 'light banter' - good to see you're back here posting mate

Blunham Mackem likes this.
  12. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

You don't need to believe in god to be spiritual mate.

For me, its hard to explain but I guess its about being self-aware, owning my affect on others around me and how I can do best for my family and friends.

13. Deleted #

<laugh> I know that mate.

I just think that part of being spiritual is believing in it? I don't. I don't find questioning myself and my life as being spiritual, it's just me questioning myself and trying to sort myself out. There's no inner peace or anything like that, sometimes, I just feel better <laugh>

Blunham Mackem likes this.
  14. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

Aye, sorry mate, didn't mean to be patronising if it came across that way <ok>

I totally get what you mean about inner peace though. Took me awhile to understand what that means! About 40 years! <laugh>

Deleted likes this.
  15. Brian Storm

Ballsy to disclose that on a forum fella, credit to you mate, I'm very sorry for your loss. My Da saw the same fate when I was a teenager :(

What if the word of man has distorted god's capabilities? What if God is actually non Interventional, And that we're on our own path of discovery, and life is actually a combination of choices and luck. When you believed in god you still made your own choices, not god, so god can't be held responsible for situations caused by other peoples choices, apply that sentiment to luck then it's more than plausible he has no control of that either. Something created us, there must be a god, the chances that it's a man on a cloud and all that bollocks is slim to none. Our creator could well be a freak chemical reaction so many years ago they've yet to invent the number, but then you have to define creation which is whole new realm.

I just feel people who blame god could well be missing an opportunity, an opportunity to ask the right questions. In my little world it's the best way to achieve closure and move on.

BTW I'm a right philosophical spiritual **** <laugh>

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Jehovah's Witness...........

Ok maybe not! Stupidest religion ever! I argued with one on the existence of evolution. A scientifically proven part of life from majority of creatures on the planet! Yet they think (well, since some weird yank in the 18th century made up the religion) that everything was created by God rather than evolved into what the world is!

17. Brian Storm

That's spiritual mate, nobody said it would be pretty. You Acknowledge, you reflect, you question, you address, you move on. The exact way meditation works. You've recently come out of dark tunnel with a lot of optimism. You took yourself to the brink and back, in ways many will never ever know. You came out of it enlightened, with plan and focus. You're more in touch with spirituality than many a devote christian or muslim will ever be while they're living their lie and passing the buck onto their false idol.

You're a ****ing Don mate, I respect the **** out of you.

18. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

In the middle of my third guinness watching the footy daarn t'pub so I can't argue you on that mate.

But, just a thought, if god is so omnipotent, why do us mere mortals keep making excuses for him?

Surely if he is there, and omnipotent, we wouldn't need to have his back all the time and make excuses as to why he doesn't step in, just once in a while?

Edit: Just to add. If there is a god, how could he take Cilla Black from us when ITV have never needed her more? I rest my case!

19. Deleted #

Same goes with you mate <ok>

I'm not the same person anymore after that, never will be. My memory is terrible now, it takes me longer to work out numbers when my brain used to be like a calculator. Loads changed after that and I'll never be able to achieve as much as I could have before April.

**** happens though.

Brian Storm likes this.
  20. Brian Storm

The most sure thing in existence mate.