1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Some Sunday afternoon 'light banter' ... Religion

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by its been fun thanks :), Aug 2, 2015.

1. Bumblebore

Bumblebore Well-Known Member

I despise religion but love meeting those morons who preach in the street for some lighthearted discussion on why they are deluded and wrong.
    Stephen fry pretty much sums up the idea of a benevolent loving God

2. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Good post that.
    Bet it went down well with the Irish.

Bumblebore likes this.
  3. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Soz, but I thought Fry was a bit of a tit in that interview. Went on about some parasite in Africa FFS. I expected better from someone of his intellect, but he just spouted the usual "if there's a God, why does **** happen?"

4. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

**** off you Irish twat. :emoticon-0150-hands:emoticon-0109-kiss::emoticon-0176-smoke:emoticon-0152-heart

5. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Twat, yes. Irish...?

Billy Death likes this.
  6. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I watched a bunch of monkeyboy labourers digging a road yesterday as I was walking the dog, one of them screaming at this fella in a turban to get a hard hat on, turban bloke shouting back at him that he's allowed to wear it and doesn't need a hard hat.

Whilst I have a lot of respect for the sikh community, I fail to understand how basic safety laws can just be flounced and religion takes precedence. By this logic, I can take a job in a factory and wear my Nike Air trainers because my atheism tells me that safety shoes look like total dogs on your feet. Where's the difference?

Sikhs by the way, are often allowed on planes with their Kirpan as it is viewed as part of their body. A lot of flight operators deny this right and demand it be stowed, but some flights do allow them... ****ing mental.

Billy Death likes this.
  7. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oy! That usual argument works quite well for me too!! :emoticon-0127-lipss:emoticon-0172-mooni

8. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

We live on a tiny speck orbiting a tiny star on the outer edge of a tiny galaxy full of billions of other stars, every one of those stars will probably have their own specks orbiting them. But there are billions of other galaxies with their own billions of stars, many of these other galaxies much bigger than our own.
    With all our scientific knowledge, we still don't know and probably never will know for sure how this all came about.
    To claim "God" created it for us makes me laugh.
    All that effort to make twinkly lights in the sky for us?
    He isn't very bright is he?
    Jesus and Mohammed were two of thousands of others like them at that time preaching their own versions of the same old stories handed down from generations of Arab goat herders before them, to explain away anything they didn't understand. Putting their own twists here and their to sound different.
    It scares me when seemingly intelligent people believe in this ****.

I have no problem with people inventing stuff to believe in.
    As long as those beliefs do not infringe on me or mine or worse still enforced on us.
    God is dying out in civilised educated countries slowly but surely.
    Elsewhere in the World religious leaders are still using God to control the people, much as we used to do in western society not so many years ago. Sending out religious zealots to teach the heathens by force to believe in God. Or the British or Spanish or whoever else will smite you down never mind some sky fairy!

You may think it can't have been that easy to fool people into believing all this crap.
    Pretty easy really when you think you are giving explanations for things happening to people who thought the world was just the little bit of land they lived in. And the Ark seemed quite possible because after all their were only a few animals where they lived wasn't there?

Well what about Scientology?
    A **** science fiction writer decides to "invent" a religion to make money because he is skint.
    Some very rich and famous people believe in this load of bullshit even though they know Hubbard made it all up!
    Just goes to show some people "NEED" to believe in something.

The day man finally kills off his invention God and all religions the better off man will be.

9. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

sounds like we could be an atom or a spec of dust in another world which in turn is again a spec of dust in someone else's world?

We are a planet in a vast system that knows no bounds and to believe god created it all in 7 days is perhaps unbelievable.

10. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Using to Hubble space telescope scientists think there are roughly 100 billion galaxies in the visible or known universe. (the bit we can see). The problem is no one can really work out how big the bit we cannot see is, some say universe is actually infinite.

The thinking is that possibly out of the billion stars in our galaxy. 1 in 250 has planets. We have discovered 2000 plenets so far and of those its possible that 10 of them could have some sort of life. This does include moons and their is a theory life could be more prevalent on moons of large planets than on planets themselves.

The big test is "how common is life?" it is suspected there is microbial life on Mars and possible on IO (a moon of jupiter). There has also been suspected life on commets and astiroids. If this is proven (which I suspect it will be soon) it means life is common.

It means in our universe there are millions of planets with life. Due to the size of the distances involved and the laws of physics its not going to be possible for us to comunicate or visit any of these places in the life time of the human race. We may though be able to discover they exist.

Thats all stuff on the large scale. On the other end of the spectrum sienctists are discovering what makes up particles, how black holes are created, how to create dark matter and if its possible to warp space and time.

The above is proven with science. I am going to believe that a lot more than some dodgy bloke who translated some plates behind a blanket so no one could see him and says men can have as many wives as they want.

11. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

So how come so many scientists, from particle physics to astronomers are also religious? How do they bring both strands together?

12. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Because in the Very Beginning God said `Let there be a Big Bang` and Lo, there was a git wass BOOM! Then God said `Reet. Now I`ve got summat to work with`

For the rest see Genesis c1 v1 for what followed.

13. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

As I said in my first post I believe in something but its non of these phony religions like for example the Mormons or even the Catholics.

Its far more complicated than all that.

14. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

Its so simple - I see it now!

Where were you when I needed advice about my physics homework Pops?

grandpops likes this.
  15. grandpops

Right here mate. You only needed to ask. <laugh>

16. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

It's hope innit. Nobody wants to entertain the idea that you'll never meet loved ones after this life, ever again, so people like to draw on faith based on nothing but hope.

I'm likely to die before my wife, statistically, so at some point I will have to convert to Judaism because she wants to be buried by my side and you can't bury a Jew next to a non-Jew in a Jewish cemetery, so I'll be amongst the believers when the lights go out by the looks of it.

17. grandpops

There is a theory (Can`t remember what it`s called) that the earth was visited by aliens many moons ago who tampered with apes DNA to produce the human strain.

They claim this explains

a). The huge jump in evolution leaving the gap (missing link) which has still never been explained.
    b). The offspring would have to be looked after as, in nature, freaks would either be killed by the parents or left to die naturally.
    c). If humans evolved from apes, why there are still apes.

Rick O'Shea likes this.
  18. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Science tries to explain how.
    Religion tries to explain why.

19. Blunham Mackem

Forum Moderator

Sneaking in through the backdoor TJ? Better lose that foreskin if you've still got it mate - they'll be checking at the door!

Not so sure its just about hope though. These guys are intellectual giants compared to the likes of me and I'm sure most have given it a great deal of rational thought as to how they can marry both religion and science together. The fact that they can do so and I can't says more about me than them. I guess I'm just to lazy to give even 5 minutes thought.

Just playing devil's advocate here (maybe not the best choice of words there <laugh>).

20. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

Arrive at the pearly gates after a life spent denouncing 'god' and sent straight to hell, or waste a life wth the notion of some sort of higher power with no consequenes upon death?