1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sorry, OLM - It's Too Important

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

2. charon-the-ferryman

charon-the-ferryman Well-Known Member

I do - speaks volumes about intolerance within their religion

3. Obadiah

So you know its about oil, wealth, and the desire of the Gulf princes to remain in power. Not a lot to do with religion.

Polly13 likes this.
  4. charon-the-ferryman

5. Budapest_Tiger

"The fence that the Hungarians have built will never stop the migrants but that was not the real plan. They want and need to know who is entering and leaving their country."

I'm afraid the fence on the Hungarian border is neither to "protect" the EU's borders nor enable Hungary to know who is entering the country; it is purely a political exercise by the Hungarian government. Orbán doesn't give a fig about what the international community thinks of him, his government or the country. Everything he does is for a domestic audience, designed to entrench his power, the only thing he cares about. The shameful treatment of refugees over the last few days is being told in a very different narrative here on state TV and government-controlled media.

And that's really the point. People will continue believe what they're told wherever you are in the world, and all media outlets will naturally reflect the personal opinions of their sponsors and journalists. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and these should be respected as long as they are informed and reflective and not based on knee-jerk prejudices. There are a lot of different views expressed on this thread, and I was pleasantly surprised that many have been clearly though-out, decent and above show a respect for humanity.

I have no solutions to the present immigrant crisis, except that there should be a distinction made between economic migrants and refugees escaping war and persecution, but I accept that even that is not always easy.

Sorry that this post is a little philosophical and rambling but I'm very tired after spending last night distributing food and water on the motorway somewhere outside Budapest (before the buses arrived, for "road safety reasons" as it is being told here). All I saw there was humanity: real people young and old, families and individuals, all utterly, utterly exhausted; and lots of Hungarians trying to help, despite - no, maybe inspired by - their government's rhetoric.

6. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Top, top post mate.

We are beginning to see the media and even our own Government realise the truth of this statement.

Polly13 likes this.
  7. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Well I got my information from a border guard at Horgoš last weekend. He said we need to know who these people are but they are refusing to co-operate. The Turk, Greek, Macedonian, and Serbian authorities have all just kicked the ball a bit further up the road, seems like they are doing the same in Hungary now.

"I have no solutions to the present immigrant crisis, except that there should be a distinction made between economic migrants and refugees escaping war and persecution, but I accept that even that is not always easy"

The control and filtering should have been done way back. As I also pointed out in my post the announcement by Germany that they would take 800,000 just started a race with the fittest and strongest winning.

8. Budapest_Tiger

There is always some truth in what the Hungarian government says but never the whole truth. Migrants entering the EU should be registered. However, under the Dublin Regulation other EU countries are entitled to send back migrants to the country into which they first entered the EU. Understandably, no one wants to be sent back to Hungary, hence the strong reluctance to have their fingerprints taken by Hungarian authorities. There is suspicion and mistrust on both sides.

I'm not so sure about this open arms policy by Germany. It did sound a bit reckless. While I'm not convinced that more will suddenly up sticks in Syria, more of those already in camps in Turkey might be encouraged to leave. Who's more to blame: the Germans for perhaps encouraging more to make the journey or the others for making the journey so hazardous?

9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I think our decision to only take people from refugee camps in the Middle East, rather than people who are already in Europe is a good one.

10. Budapest_Tiger

Agreed. Absolutely.

11. charon-the-ferryman

Good post although I kind of disagree with the statement above - fundamentally people believe what they want to believe - and that is a fact world over - that why you have papers like the Mail and the Mirror because people have certain preconceived ideas of the facts - any so called fact reported that you don't agree with automatically becomes a cover up or lies for political ends - so I don't agree that people believe what they are told UNLESS it concurs with their own view of the situation

12. Obadiah

Helps if you'd read the article:

"An overwhelming majority of the displaced Syrians are Sunni Muslims. Of the paltry 1,519 Syrians the U.S. has taken in since 2011, 1,415 were Sunnis. The Saudi population is also predominantly Sunni. There's a catch, however: Many Sunni areas of Syria have served as a base for the Islamic State, which the Saudi and U.A.E. air forces are helping to bomb. Islamic State is hostile to the Saudi regime, and it's important to them whether the refugees are fleeing Islamic State or the bombings."

Polly13 likes this.
  13. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

Scumbags? Just for wanting a better life? Give yer head a shake, mate. What did you do to ensure you were born in the UK and not some less developed country?

14. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

So you consider it fine then for a mass of people, mainly young males, to break down fences and enter, or attempt to enter, our country illegally then? Open your eyes, they're scumbags, NOT ASYLUM SEEKING FAMILIES, that are attempting to enter our country illegally. How do you know that they are 'just wanting a better life'? They're not making a good first impression are they by openly committing crimes before even reaching our shores. Are you a social worker Polly?

As for your question regarding what I did to ensure I was born in the UK you're talking complete bollocks. I'm a UK citizen, legally, I have no need to go committing crimes in an attempt to get into the UK.

petersaxton likes this.
  15. charon-the-ferryman

Presumably if they started to break down his front door so they could get inside he would be perfectly ok about it as they were not scumbags but only trying to get a better life for themselves

16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Are you a UK citizen by fortune of birth, or did you earn the privilege some other way?

Polly13 likes this.
  17. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

And there it goes!

Bye bye thread!

18. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Scumbags is maybe a poor choice of description but lets be honest, we have indigenous scumbags so we should also be able to differentiate between the types of migrants, there are genuine refugees and they are bogus asylum seekers and we must be able to determine who we allow in, some may well enrich us and some will also steal from us, no doubt, and taking vetted familees directly from Syrian refugee camps is a better policy then god knows what trafficked across Europe causing chaos around Calais.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  19. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

The people who are in Turkey trying to get into Greece and the people who are in Hungary trying to get to Western Europe are clearly economic migrants.
    This problem will only be solved by the Western powers (the UN is useless) dealing with the issues where they originate which is the Middle East. It is the height of madness for the West to just watch the savages in the Middle East kill each other and then look after every person who wants to move from Africa and Asia to Europe.

20. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

The language of The Daily Mail writ large there. You probably like the Katie Hopkins' column. Swarms of cockroaches and all that...

joannahatfield likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.