1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sort out the Boardroom Ellis

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by grandpops, Oct 5, 2015.

1. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

What, last month?

Hardly think they`ve got any input now mate.

2. gardencitymack

gardencitymack Active Member

I'm with Gordon on this. I don't know how people can make such assertions about people they don't know and the business operations of the club. Too many detractors using Urban myths and journo reports as facts

The Relic likes this.
  3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

All you're saying is they are useless as are the likes of Bruce and Quinn.

We need a board of sports executives with some footballing knowledge. Short should be a part of that board but he needs help.

4. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Can't agree mate, she's got 3 holes, I could think of many uses. :biggrin:

5. grandpops

I didn`t say Cattermole, Larsson et al had done anything wrong. I was just replying to Relics post that it was the boards decision to renew their contracts and not DA`s.

I agree DA could have turned it around. That first half (well 40 mins <doh>) was the best I`ve seen for a long time.

Di Fanti was indeed a huge mistake as was PDC. I wonder who advised him/the board on that little episode.

Same with Gus, another bad decision at the top level. As far as Roberge, Bridcutt, Buckley, Graham, Maviras etc are concerned we may as well be rid of the wages. They`re worth nowt in the transfer market.

Of course Short has made mistakes and will continue to make them because there`s nobody in the boardroom with the know how to tell him otherwise. That, imo, is a mistake on its own.

6. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

With Cognerton, he had that advice. I hope he recognises how useful that was and gets someone similar in

7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Well said Pops. I'd like it to start with Short stepping back from the club and somebody else coming in as chairman of the board. He doesn't make most of the games as he focusing on other businesses. He's not willing to give us his time and attention it needs, he knows nowt about the business of football and he's surrounded himself with the wrong people.

grandpops likes this.
  8. Brian Storm

He's hired the football men, they didn't win the position in a competition did they? Every club has football men at some level (when I say football men I mean people with an interest in the game not ex players.) He's surrounded himself with the wrong men since the second he stepped into the club and retained failled businessman Quinn as Chairman. Nobody is to blame for that but Ellis. But that's what happens when somebody buys a business they no nothing about. They're taking gambles by putting faith in people to advise them. He can't aply his own judgement. Somebody told him to hire Di Fanti for example. Ellis chose to listen to that person, nobody else. Nobody's fault with him. Mistake upon mistake that stems from Short's inexperience in the game. He's not qualified to chair the board of his own business. It's not out of nastiness I'm saying this, I don't hate the man but he's chairman of the board. The buck stops with him just like it does in any business.

So who's fault is it we're making the same mistakes again and again then?

9. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

If you take a look at the last minute of the first half on Saturday, whose fault it is can be seen very distinctly. There is no way I'm going to lynch somebody else for what those ****s on the field have been doing. Who put them there is beside the point. They are there, accepting a lot of money and not earning it.

clockstander likes this.
  10. grandpops

He could indeed bring in a chairman but he needs to be careful. We don`t need another Quinny. Smashing bloke, great footballer, loves the club, crap at business.

The other alternative is to bring to the board people who know what they`re doing and can give him good advice. He`s making mistakes because that isn`t happening.

I don`t want Ellis to sicken himself. There`s a damn sight worse than him running football clubs but he does need to do something because at the minute we seem to be going backwards. He needs help and he`s not getting it.

11. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Ok then lads let's start a list of possible eligible chairmen, I'll go first
    1.....erm..
    2.....erm... oh I give up :emoticon-0105-wink:

Gil T Azell likes this.
  12. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Well-Known Member

13. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

That's the most interesting post I've seen in some time. I've heard of the NFL model but haven't yet managed to locate the book. I will though.

The Outlaw and Disco down under like this.
  14. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Moneyball... I'd take Billy Bean in right about now! Though I don't know how he's doing with that dutch side!

15. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Well-Known Member

Theo Epstein is the new Billy Beane in sports. My favorite team, as a youth and now, is the Chicago Cubs. Theo Epstein is now Pres and running the club. They have been the most dismal sporting franchise anywhere in the world. Their lack of success is unmatched. Their futility impressive beyond all belief. Haven't won the world series since "08. Haven't been to the series since '45 (because all the good players in the league were fighting in Europe and the Pacific). They are now in the midst of building a dynasty. Soon to be the best in baseball, if they aren't already. The best prospects in baseball. The best development program in baseball. He did it by exploiting market inefficiencies and building the smartest plan of any team, anywhere, and then executing that plan. Said it before, will say it again...no reason SAFC can't do the same.

Disco down under likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

That Lens tackle imo was a genuine attempt for the ball, he played the ball, it was non malicious, it was in West Ham's own half, it was never booking. Free kick yes, booking no. Many a Ref would remind him he was on a yellow. Harsh to blame Lens imo but in my eyes it just shows the players will get blame even when they don't deserve it.

But ok, say it has been the players fault, which according to you even spreads into this summers business. So in the 4 years since Short took the chair from Quinn we've had 4 managers(with 4 backroom teams) 2 directors of football, 3 scouting teams, 42 players coming in(including loans, not including dev) and 43 players leave(including loans, not including dev). Those figures are scary. In 4 years.

You blame the players all you want. I'll blame the bloke who's masterminded an idiotic staff turnover, kept us unstable, and due to his lack of knowlage of the business has applied bad judgement repeatedly by surrounding himself with the wrong people.

17. Brian Storm

That's problem mate, It's why I'd rather he just sold the club. He's shown he doesn't know the business and his judgement in this business stinks, the turn over of staff show's he probably couldn't appoint a new chairman adequately anyway.

18. grandpops

I don`t understand it mate, I really don`t.

If, in his normal business he was making wrong decisions due to people giving him bad advice they`d be out the door double quick.

I know this is nowt compared to his vast fortune but it must be frustrating for him just the same. It beats me why he can`t see the problem.

The Relic likes this.
  19. Brian Storm

I'm sure it is frustrating for him. I bet he rues the day he met Quinny on the golf course. Like I've said I don't hate the man and I'm grateful he bailed us out. But he's in danger of taking us back where we started before the consortium took over. I'm not questioning out of malice, I'm questioning him out of concern for the club.

grandpops likes this.
  20. grandpops

Yes, that exactly.

Brian Storm likes this.