1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Crystal Palace 21/09/2016 Kick Off 7:45 PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Is it you or is it me? I'm sure you're repeating yourself, Beddy. Time for us old buggers to get our cocoa and climb the old wooden hill.

But before I do ... I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but there was clearly an undercurrent of "Koeman doesn't buy into the youth policy" going on and the club statement about looking for a manager who shared the club's principles (or something like that, you get my gist) seemed to confirm this. In France this summer, lots of French footie fans I spoke to - I tend to frequent PMU bars and talk football - thought Puel was brilliant. They particularly admired both his style of play and his ability to bring on young players. Oh and they thought Sofiane was a brilliant buy, BTW.

So make of any of that what you will, but I was at my first game of the season on Wednesday night and I was well impressed. Palace were mediocre at best, but some of our play was excellent and yes, it's great to see the kids - mind you at my age even the bloody manager looks like a kid!

Sweet dreams all.

2. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Because that's what Beddytare used as an example to say that Puel was playing the youth. HE picked the game, not me. Again, I simply pointed out he was wrong.

And you are wrong as well. Because Puel has not played Reed or Hesketh a single minute in either PL or Euro-- and as I pointed out earlier, neither one even made the bench at Euros. So that's at least two competitions where Puel has not demonstrated so far any greater willingness to play academy players than Koeman.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  3. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I've read enough of this to be pissed off. Just enjoy the football for ****s sake. You all go on and ****ing on debating and discussing things over which you have no influence whatsoever. Puel will pick the side and nothing anyone writing on here has said about anything will influence him one jot. It is all just a lot of hot air. What an absolute waste of time and energy. Get a life for goodness sake.

davecg69, StJabbo and Onionman like this.
  4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

In fairness, isn't this what a forum is for?

ImpSaint and Mikey like this.
  5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Again you are being selective..........I did say that Puel played our most promising youngsters in the European league and the the league cup. So I actually picked a couple of games.

Edit.
    Let's not forget the other games in pre season also.

6. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Pre-season? Koeman played every kid on the block pre-season.

I like what Puel is doing. I agree he seems to care more about youth. However, ISIRTP hasn't said anything untrue. His logic is sound. Puel hasn't been youth crazy at all. He's actually been a master at squad rotation - and some young players have benefitted from this. Is that a specific desire for youth or simply pragmatism and the ability to recognise talent? I actually prefer option 2.

7. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

As a man who lives on the bank of the Danube I hope you didn't sail by without waving hello!

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

We could well be clubbing together to send you off again if we don't beat West Ham :)

9. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

By the way, didn't Maya put in a good shift last night. Solid as a rock. I do like the cut of his jib when he's match fit. And with a bit of rotation this season he may well stay in that state.

Vin

davecg69, Dark Lord SFC and fatletiss like this.
  10. fatletiss

Beddytare is one person. Several of us made the general point that you seem to be arguing with. By doing it in the league cup, Puel had already shown more inserted in trying these players than Koeman did.

I don't get why that can't just be accepted and us people who see that as positive, can't be allowed to have that positive view.

It's like arguing for the sake of arguing.

ImpSaint likes this.

11. fatletiss

Or to flip that...

.... So that's at least one competition where Puel HAS shown greater willingness...

It all depends on how you want to view life. I view this fixture as Puel being willing. :)

Now it's time to take off my sandals, water my flowers and find some sweet dreams.

Missing Lambo likes this.
  12. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Heavily influenced by Jay Rod's early celebrations.

13. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Except he hasn't really done it in the League Cup either. Which I could easily show you, except you are doing your standard trick of asking for evidence and arguments while expressing how tired you are of the whole conversation.

14. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Great image - hopefully it will be raining, so he can do the 180 spin knee slide, so the back of his shirt ends up facing Koeman...

fatletiss likes this.
  15. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Football does do some great ironic twists. Like Pulis going back to Stoke for his 1000th game this weekend......if he gets three points it might well end Hughes time there. Funny ol' game.

fatletiss likes this.
  16. fatletiss

How about you and I have a conversation about the topic rather than the person? Please? Just asking if we can do that.

So you understand my reasoning, I am not considering Gazza/JWP as youngsters as both played in previous years as first team players.

Last season, Koeman chose not to play Reed, Hesketh, Stephens or such players. I already made comment that he played Targett and In the league Cup last season Seager made the bench but didn't get on.

Puel has started Reed and Hesketh. I see that as a step further forward than Koeman and I am taking that positively, coupled with the comments made by Koeman, this is making me feel good about this topic.

That's all. I am happy to discuss differently without personal digs (which I didn't do to you, I just flipped your comment). Let's try and discuss it yeah? I have no "tricks"

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    ImpSaint likes this.
  17. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Yeah? Bloody hell, flt, one minute you sound like an old hippy stubbing out your last joint; next the stroppy teenager with acne. You are one mixed up feller!

Sorry, good morning. Hope all is well in darkest Northamptonshire. I for one totally agree with your point. Let's start getting positive about our Claude. Les has annointed him after due process. Has anyone clicked that Les seems to have told Pellegrini that he didn't want him. That's a big call. Les has form on this choosing managers malarkey. I trust him to deliver.

18. fatletiss

Young at heart. Ageing in body!

19. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Wins help with perception of course, but I think Claude should have addressed some concerns I read on here early doors.

The Diamond has been tweaked.
    Claude is not some stubborn one system coach and we've seen the system is a 4-3-3. That's the main system and how we arrange those front six men is flexible.

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Our whole trip was rescheduled after a lock was damaged when a ship ran into a gate. Our sister ship was trapped the wrong side and had to visit Serbia instead of Hungary, Slovakia and Austria, but we neve r got there. I am blowing you a kiss now. X

SaintinSerbia likes this.