1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steven Davis

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Tommomo, Apr 25, 2015.

?

Davis in the starting 11?

1. Yup! He adds a lot to the team

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Eh! Bench him

31 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No!...off to the Mayukabyss with him

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

I wish i didnt feel the need to do this but Steven has been woeful weeks and anonymous for months. Were does everyone here stand on his starting spot for the remainder of the season and his contract (expires 2018) in the future?

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Bench him. It is going to be very hard for him to get into the squad next year if we get Clasie as well as Vilhena.

3. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I like Davis but he is out of form so I would bench him for the next game. In terms of the future I think he may well be moved on before his contract expires, I can see him being very much a squad player next year and he will probably rather have game time somewhere else.

4. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Sad but hes out of form

5. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

He's had a bad patch in his last 3 after that little injury but still a good player, personally think he shouldn't have started either of the past two games but now Ron is in a bit more of a tricky situation as either of the last two games him not starting would feel like rotation, after that rough of a game now it'll feel like being dropped and affect his confidence more. Not really a problem though he's an experienced pro so probably be fine and even if not and it's the end of the season it's not like it'll run on through the summer. No qualms whatsoever about him being in the squad and involved heavily next year, would like JWP to see more time and of course it would be a wonder to have a real creative spark (the fabled 'assist machine' to guy with our '20 goal a season striker' that we should've easily gotten by now) to change the pace from Davis' steady knitting of the play when needs be.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I like Davis as he is a grafter, he adds bitr to our midfield. But next season it could be:
    Prowse
    Wanyama
    Clasie
    Vilhena
    Reed
    Gape

He would be hardly used.

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I'd place him ahead of Vilhena, Reed and Gape, so fourth choice makes him still important for me and should still play plenty. Vilhena is talented but not a finished product by any means also it'll be a big step-up and I like Reed but he's a different kind of player and whilst he's looked well up to this level not done developing either. Not to mention whilst Clasie looks like he would be a great signing he's by no means a sure thing either. If all goes to plan not sure he starts more than a handful of games but think he'll still be involved and a good part of the squad.

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Gape is the same type of player as Davis. He has been great this season and capped it off with a good U21 cup final. The problem with Davis is we have so many good/great young midfield prospects coming through. If not next season then the one after that he will be well down the list.

9. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Agreed that the season after next if things go well we should've moved past him, but unless we make a big signing in that area we haven't heard rumours of yet then think he should definitely have a good role next season.

10. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

had the same problem a few months ago so he got benched. We were even worse without him. if he is a attacking mid then he must be scoring goals and making assists, sadly this has gone from his game. Mane has to play no10, Tadic and Elia can fight for the left and right side is up for grabs but should goto JWP but may try one of the kids for the leicester game as Clyne does like an overlapping option

11. jenthesaint1990

jenthesaint1990 Well-Known Member

he's not been great recently, should be dropped.

12. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've been anti-Steve Davis (although slightly quietly) for a few months now. Today was of little surprise to me. In fact, I recall me wanting us to replace to him last summer, before the upheaval all started.

There are so many sides in this league who Davis would improve. Maybe I'm biased, but I just think that we're better than him. I want to keep him a squad player, but I really want us to be signing someone better.

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I am pro Steve Davis and feel sorry for him, another game and he would have had a hat trick, nothing wrong with his work rate, nothing wrong with his positional closing down play, he treads on virtually every blade of grass on the pitch, he gets into great positions, the only thing not working is the finishing and that I am afraid is not acceptable at this level.

14. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

We need a more creative and better goalscorer for his position. A good Ramirez, essentially.

latviandream likes this.
  15. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

What game would that be? He has plenty of chances through out the season. Yet hasn't tucked them away.

16. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Was probably expecting a thread like this to appear tonight. His shooting boots were left at home, most definitely, but he gets in excellent positions, and the rest of his game is fine in my opinion.

I know I've always been a Davis fan, but I think it is easy to overreact when somebody misses 3 clear cut chances like he did today. He does an awful lot of other things which go unnoticed.

17. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Actually I though he played a very good match overall. He was all over the pitch, put in a good shift defensively, linked defence and attack and managed to find himself in a number of goalscoring opportunities. Of course, his finishing and complete lack of composure in front of goal let him down and must take the roll of a fall guy today.

But generally, I think he's a player of quality required for clubs around 7-10 place on the table. For that level he's a very good and useful, but if we want to reach a higher level, then his position is surely one in which we can improve. I'm convinced that if this season we had, for instance, Eriksen instead of Davis, just that one change in personnel in the whole squad, we would now have at least ten points more.

Archers Road and st_brendy like this.
  18. James G

James G Well-Known Member

You can't act like this is just one game though. He's been doing this since opening day against liverpool. He's been blowing chances for 14 months.

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Davis can be very good on his day and is used to the Saints style. We will be doing signings in the summer, but we need players like him as well.

fatletiss likes this.
  20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For Davis not able to hit the target from those 3 chances is pretty pathetic. Not even close to acceptable for a professional footballer.