1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SUNDERLAND TRANSFER PLANS COULD CONVINCE ADVOCAAT TO STAY

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Makemstine Roger, May 23, 2015.

1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

SUNDERLAND TRANSFER PLANS COULD CONVINCE ADVOCAAT TO STAY
    Submitted by Tribal Football Staff 7 hours ago
    Share on emailShare on print

please log in to view this image

Sunderland boss Dick Advocaat says he could stay if he is convinced by their transfer plans.

Advocaat is only contracted to the end of this season.

He said: “I have my own personal situation to consider, but beside that, it is also very important to know what the club wants.

“This squad needs five or six good players.

“It doesn’t need quantity, it needs quality.

“That is what is important, and it is the only way to change things.”

2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Dick Advocaat: Buy me SIX quality players and I'll stay at Sunderland
    DICK ADVOCAAT has told Sunderland he might stay if the club buy him six new players.

Facebook
    By Ian Murtagh / Published 22nd May 2015

The Dutchman has been offered a new contract at the Stadium of Light having guided them to Premier League safety with a game to spare.

He will give chairman Ellis Short a final decision on Thursday after talking with his family.

But he has warned Short that unless funds are handed over to strengthen the squad, he will retire.

"I have my own personal situation to consider but besides that, it is also very important to know what the club wants," said the 67-year-old.

"This squad needs five or six good players. It doesn't need quantity, it needs quality. That is the only way to change things.

please log in to view this image
    SUMMER PLANS: Advocaat says Sunderland need six quality new faces [GETTY]

“This squad needs five or six good players. It doesn't need quantity, it needs quality. That is the only way to change things”

Dick Advocaat
    "The owner has previously said he wants to be challenging for positions nine or ten on a regular basis and even a little higher.

"With all respect, you have to invest to do that because otherwise you have no chance. When you invest, you can build someone.

"If they are not clear on the need to invest, then I had better leave."

Sunderland visit champions Chelsea tomorrow and Advocaat added: "Sunderland must look to emulate clubs like Swansea and Southampton who have pushed themselves up the league but they have spent a lot of money buying players.

"If you look at the spending here compared to those kind of clubs, it is not that high. I have my own ideas on players to sign but the club have their own ideas as well."

3. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

It all comes down to what he classes as "good players" . I would have said 5 or 6 next level players. He may think Vergini is a good player or he may think Ramsey is a good player. not that I think we would get Ramsey but you get my point.

4. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Finally a bloke who's willing to have the bottle to fight for his, realistic, vision.

Dorset likes this.
  5. joeisonfire

joeisonfire Well-Known Member

We cannot have a complete overhaul again and again. 4/5 good players would suffice. Then u can add 1 or 2 in January.

6. The Relic

The Relic Well-Known Member

"This squad needs five or six good players. It doesn't need quantity".

Well what the hell does he call half the team if not 'quantity'. What this article doesn't say is if he has a time-scale in mind or if he's just another thick dreamer wanting it all now. I suspect there's room for negotiation there.

If there's not, I'd like to thank him for all that he's done for us and wish him a happy retirement - from midnight tomorrow night.

7. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's quite a hard line there Relic.

Personally I think he's given a realistic assessment of the situation and in terms of timescale, I'd assume he's talking about the next few months.

That's not the thoughts of another thick dreamer, that's someone who doesn't want to see this club in another relegation battle next season, whether he's in charge or not.

I get the impression you're reluctant to the idea of spending money. It might be a necessary evil with some degree of risk, but the price of failure, relegation, would be far more costly.

Look where Wigan, Fulham and Cardiff are now. Norwich might be on the way back but it's not guaranteed, and they will again be starting at a lower base than almost all of the existing PL clubs.

8. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

I think I'm right in saying we've brought in around 10 players over the summer for the last two years, I wouldn't say five players is particularly excessive honestly. We need a quality CB to replace the aging JOS and a quality RB to replace the (presumably) retiring Reviellere - Jones is too injury prone to be anything other than backup imo. I think we're all also agreed we've needed a quality creative CM for years, and two quality forwards required as our front line simply isn't good enough. In my opinion all those positions are pretty much required so I can see what Dick is getting at.

9. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

It`s only what we`ve been saying for the last 3 seasons and the clue is in the word `quality` surely.

He`ll be fully aware of the FFP rules and he`s got a few more brain cells than to think he can do it in one go.

Shoppg and The Relic like this.
  10. The Relic

I'm with you, grandpops. If we're talking £60 - £90 million on six quality players then time-scale is everything. I hope you're right.

11. grandpops

iirc he`s already said he has ideas so I expect him to be realistic.

The Relic likes this.
  12. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh that would do for me <bubbly>

13. Vincemac

We cannot have a complete overhaul again and again. 4/5 good players would suffice. Then u can add 1 or 2 in January.

Yeh that's about it <bubbly>

grandpops likes this.
  14. The Relic

You don't want a complete overhaul again, you just want 5 - 7 good players in the next eight or nine months? That number of quality players will cost between £50m - £105m. - and that's not counting the Agueros and Bales of this world. It's just not going to happen in that time scale, man.

15. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Let's spend nowt then eh?

16. The Relic

Depends if we've got it to spend mate. But far too many people seem to regard SAFC as a charity that Ellis Short is obliged to donate money to. It's just living in dreamland. He's not going to do it, and I wouldn't either. SAFC is a business, not a charity, and anyone who thinks otherwise can get on a plane tomorrow night. We have to get behind our Commercial Department and increase our income. That's the bottom line. Nobody objects to spending money when we've got it.

17. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Financial Fair Play rules are about to be relaxed this summer Relic so we are probably going to see some crazy goings on in the market place anyway.

It's daft to say it's a business and not a charity. No one gets into football club ownership without knowing upfront you're going to be a cash cow! It's no more than a status symbol for many of them.

Your previous comments on other threads about spending so much money on duff players is irrelevant. Each season is a new beginning and what's happened in the past is only of relevance for a lessons-learned exercise, especially now if the FFP rules are relaxed.

The age of £40-£60 million summer spending is upon us now for most PL clubs whether we approve of it or not. To assume any club owner who wants to be a top 10 team can get by on less is naive.

Dorset and grandpops like this.
  18. The Relic

I realize FFP is going to be relaxed this summer - to accommodate PSV &co., not the likes of us.

It's "daft" to say this is a business, not a charity? O.k., so let's declare SAFC a charity on Monday morning and let all those shouting for spend, spend, spend put their money where their mouths are. I think we'll very quickly see whether it's a business or a charity then.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand where "The age of £40 - £60 million summer spending is upon us" becomes relevant mate. Five or six Rodwell's will come to £50 or £60 million. Anything better will cost between £75 and £90 million. And pretty soon, we're heading into dreamland.

No, either Dick has a sensible time-scale in which to build this vision or I want him gone by Monday - much as I like him. I stick with grandpops view.

19. grandpops

I would be surprised if DA doesn`t already know his targets and I doubt whether he`ll be doing much shopping in the UK.

I suspect that he and Congerton will already have had their heads together and Short will be fully aware.

I have a feeling we might be pleasantly surprised.

Mind, I have been known to be wrong like though but. :emoticon-0111-blush

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. Vincemac

Well if it dosnt happen it's the same again <bubbly>

The Relic likes this.