1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland Vs Burnley Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Sunderland Vs Burnley
    Official Sunderland Not606 Match Thread

please log in to view this image

Stadium Of Light

Preview
    Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet wants to see his Sunderland side take responsibility for ending their poor form when Burnley visit the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Poyet's men have won just one of their last 12 Premier League outings, that success coming against fierce rivals Newcastle United, and are without a point since the turn of the year.

As a result, Sunderland sit 16th - level on points with Burnley a place beneath them - and Poyet is keen for his players to step up over the coming weeks.

"We need to be the ones making things happen instead of waiting for a mistake, a refereeing decision or for the fans to take the team to another level," the Uruguayan told the club's official website.

"It is up to us and that is the mentality that we want the team to have on Saturday, so I'm sure we're going to be up for it and I would like to think we now have the opportunity to go and win three or four games in a row.

"It is an important week with an absolutely massive game on Saturday against Burnley."

Match Apointments

Sunderland Team News
    Poyet should welcome back Adam Johnson and Wes Brown from calf and knee problems respectively this weekend, but Lee Cattermole (groin) remains a doubt and Jack Rodwell is suspended.

Burnley Team News
    Dyche will be without Matty Taylor (calf), Stephen Ward (ankle) and Kevin Long (knee), but remains convinced his tight-knit squad have what it takes to beat the drop.

Stats & Facts

Head to Head
    • Burnley have won just one of the last 13 matches in all competitions against Sunderland (W1 D6 L6).
    Sunderland
    • Sunderland have won just one of their last 12 Premier League matches (W1 D6 L5).
    • 32% of the goals Sunderland have scored have come in the final 15 minutes of matches, the highest proportion in the top division.
    • In Barclays Premier League history only David Beckham (15), Gianfranco Zola and Thierry Henry (both 12) have scored more free kicks than Sebastian Larsson (11).

Burnley
    • Burnley have only won two of their 29 Barclays Premier League away matches (W2 D5 L22).
    • The Clarets have only kept one clean sheet in those 28 Barclays Premier League matches and conceded two or more in 23 of them.
    • Burnley have conceded the most headed goals in the Barclays Premier League (11).
    • Danny Ings has scored in each of his last three Barclays Premier League appearances.
    • The Clarets have kept just one clean sheet in their last 11 Barclays Premier League matches.
    Classic Match

Previous League Meetings

Form

This Season's Reverse

Last Corresponding Fixture

Betting
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/sunderland-v-burnley/betting-markets

Links

http://www.safc.com/fans/visiting-fans

Streaming
    http://xn--frstrowsports-39b.eu/
    http://wiziwig.to/soccer

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Brian Storm

Forgot the poll. Never mind.

3. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Great but late :emoticon-0152-heart

4. Brian Storm

No it's not. I usually put it up lunchtime/early afternoon the day before the game. It's early! ;)

5. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Not a lot of goals in the previous games. Should put that right tomorrow.

6. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Hoping they've been working hard on the system.

An attacking 3 of
    --------Johnson--------
    -----Fletcher--Defoe----

Should cause problems, with Jones and Pva providing the width and I think it could be wonders for Johnson. Very hard for teams to double up on him when hes almost got a free role in the middle and can roam around.

7. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

From SAFC.com
    "O'Shea excited ahead of Burnley clash.

John O’Shea is expecting a cauldron of noise at the Stadium of Light when Sunderland entertain Burnley on Saturday (KO 3pm).

The Black Cats and the Clarets both sit on 20 points in the Barclays Premier League table and they were equally inseparable when they met at Turf Moor in September, as a tense affair saw the woodwork rattled before ending goalless.

Speaking to safc.com the captain admitted he cannot wait to take to the field against the Clarets, before targeting three points against Sean Dyche’s side.

“There will be amazing support at the game and I'm sure the supporters will understand that these will be very tight games.

“The more noise and support they give us the better it will be for everyone, but we know ourselves that we have to give them something to cheer about so hopefully there will be more goals to celebrate.”

He added: “As a defender I will also be looking for a clean sheet but the three points are the most important thing, so hopefully we can secure them and kick on from there.”

Skipper trying to douse the flames on Gus' burning bridge after his ill thought out comments?

Hopefully we will spur them on and they will give us something to shout about.

Rather nervous right now - I think Burnley will come out of the blocks fast as and that will get the crowd nervy. Got to keep the faith and get behind them.

8. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

That's what I'm expecting if he's fit, or could be Giacc ( which I think is unlikely ). Hopefully, Jones has been practicing his crossing on the run - got forward quite well last week for the first 15 / 20 minutes but thought his delivery was aweful and then we started to get pegged back and more negative.

9. Poyet's Eleven

Poyet's Eleven Well-Known Member

Should win this, need everyone to be up for it fans and players alike

10. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the whole day and we certainly need everyone up for it, players and fans alike..

Brian Storm likes this.

11. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this game!!

Fancie a great showing from the lads and a comfortable victory .

12. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack!

And then attack some more.

C19RK73 likes this.
  13. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

So it's a 1-1-8 system for you then !!! :emoticon-0148-yes:

14. Brian Storm

Gus Poyet says he and his team must take the initiative against Burnley tomorrow asSunderland look to improve on their miserable home record.

The Black Cats boss has come under fire this week for his comments in the aftermath of last weekend’s goalless draw against Fulham in the FA Cup, that Sunderland fans still yearn for the days of legendary strike duo Kevin Phillips and Niall Quinn.

Poyet’s weekend calls for ‘patience and understanding’ also fell upon stony ground, with fans understandably disgruntled after seeing their team win just one Premier League game on home soil all season - and only eight in two years.

Poyet is understood to have realised his post-match comments were unwise and poorly-timed, and he has accepted that the responsibility for lifting the mood in tomorrow’s crunch clash against the Clarets rests entirely with the team.

“It’s up to us now,” said Poyet.

“We need to give the fans something.

“We need to be more aggressive and be better in certain situations.

“We need to control the ball better.

“We. It’s we. Not the fans.

“If there’s frustration, then the only thing I ask is for them to wait until the end of the game.

“We are all human beings, in everything we do.

“If I play golf on my own, I hit a better shot than if there’s 200 people watching.

“If the crowd is a little bit tense, we all react differently, especially nowadays.

“There are plenty of teams in the bottom ten who feel more comfortable away from home.

“That was not even achievable in my time [as a player]. It was always the opposite. You knew you had an advantage at home.

“So let’s create an advantage by giving something to the fans.”

2015 Getty Images

Jermain Defoe of Sunderland looks on with Lasse Vigen Christensen and Jack Grimmer of Fulham

Poyet also knows Sunderland must not only improve results, but also performances with the dire draw against Fulham preceded by an equally dismal display against Liverpool at home.

And the head coach says the Black Cats must go into the Burnley game in a more positive mindset.

Poyet said: “We started too calm, too safe, too predictable.

“There are plenty of things you can put into a performance, even when you’re not having a good day.

“You can show more desire than the opposition, or whatever is needed at the time.

“We’ve missed that in the first halves [during the last two home games].

“In terms of preparation, we’ve not changed a lot, but in terms of what we will say before the game? Yes, it needs to be different.

“Maybe we’ve been a bit too strict in certain aspects of the previous system.

“I saw half-an-hour against Liverpool which was completely open, crazy, but we created a few chances.

“It was a bit open against Fulham at the end. But again, we created some chances.

“I think I’ve got an opportunity, if it’s needed, to open up the game, make it very open and make it entertaining for everyone – except for me!”

15. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Great stuff Bri, watched the VID 3-2 would do lovely. Enjoy the day . We knocked it about canny back in the day.

16. Brian Storm

Cheers fella, cracking video. Remember the Carlos goal like it was yesterday. Real stand out moment from the season that game. This one too.

Keano had us playing some decent stuff

17. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

One of those off Johnno today would be lovely.

18. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Brilliant that Bri, young Grant timed that slide perfectly otherwise his voice might have went up an octave <laugh>

19. C19RK73

Haaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaay!

20. C19RK73

Sunderland: Pantilimon, van Aanholt, O'Shea, Vergini, Reveillere, Bridcutt, Larsson, Gomez, Wickham, Johnson, Defoe.
    Subs: Mannone, Jones, Fletcher, Graham, Alvarez, Coates, Giaccherini.