1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The 2015 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bencredible

bencredible Active Member

Can't play your best 11 every game though, rarely in fact. It's the whole point of having a squad, and which ours is showing again for yet another year isn't good enough

2. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

Of course not, but the likes of being able to play a settled and first choice back 5 at least helps massively. I feel our squad is the strongest it's been since we've been back in the PL to be honest.

3. bencredible

bencredible Active Member

Not for me I think we are a fair bit off what we started with last year. It's also worrying for me the relative lack of progress of jwp. I wanted him to get more game time but he just doesn't influence a game other than dead ball situations and let's be honest he's not that good at those! It's not like we score corners or free kicks very often at all! It was apparent watching the u21's against Portugal where he is on the footballing scale which is a shame

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Even without Toby and our regular left back?

5. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

That's why I said squad, when VVD is in, and everyone else is fit it will be much better. Not at the moment, our XI is weaker in a few key areas, which should be sorted by the close of the transfer window.

6. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

Have thought about this a lot over the window.... We reeeeeeally need a new striker....! Don't know who, but I'm very worried about our "goal threat" or lack of between the end of this window and when we can next do something about it on January the 1st.

bencredible likes this.
  7. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

i don't think so. We have strikers, Pelle, Mane, Long, Rodriguez, most of them proved they can score goals. A striker is not someone who will create and score goals on his own, unless he's Aguero or Suarez, and we're not bringing those two. The team has to create openings for the striker and so far we're not doing that and that's the main issue, not the player up front.

8. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Have to agree with this. Although a lot of those players are used out wide they are capable. And I think if we create for him then Pelle will score, he hasn't had the chances of late which is due to a lack of any sort of flair or creativity in our midfield

9. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... Only partially agree with that.

I love Longs work ethic, but I can't help thinking he is where Jay Rod was when he first arrived. Played out of position and having to adapt constantly. Despite Pelle's goal drought last season, he wasn't trusted as a striking Plan B which worries me slightly.

I think Jay will be fine, but will spend the next 6-8 weeks still finding his feet and understandably so. If he chips in with goals during that time it's a bonus, but every game is a new experience for him and we can't/shouldn't expect too much too soon. I still think he's best as a wide player coming in rather than a central striker.

Manè is dangerous and our only real unknown quality ATM. I don't think he nor RonKo know his best position or what exactly he's going to produce next but what we do know is that he's probably off soon(ish). If he did leave next Summer, I suspect we still won't know his best position either but he'll be a success wherever he goes.

That leaves Pellè. Although I have nothing against him personally, I think he's been a bit found out already this season. He was an unknown quantity last season with his seemingly Midas touch type qualities. If he swung his leg at it, it would go in off a seagull or something similar. I know it's partially a confidence thing, but if he is starting slowly and gets any kind of slow period again this season, he'll end up with between 8-12 goals. Is that prolific enough for where we are aiming? I would say not personally.

As I've said before, it leaves us with very little in terms of a Plan B off the bench. If teams have worked out they can nullify Pellè, there's very little else we have to threaten with.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

If defenders are occupied nullifying Pelle it provides opportunities to others...the other strikers have to step up.

Saintharry13 likes this.

11. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

How about that from Pelle!

Wrong thread:-D

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Kevin de Bruyne confirmed at Man City.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Monk on Saintsweb:

Originally Posted by Monk
    please log in to view this image

Have it on good authority he (Mane) has told the club he's happy to stay, only willing to go if it's right for everybody.

Saints wouldn't allow him to talk to the media and Saints are very pissed off with Sky.

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Assuming this is about Mane?

15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Who?

16. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Mane.

17. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

, only willing to go if it's right for everybody

_________________________________#

My ****ing hero.......

fatletiss likes this.
  18. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Why are they pissed off with sky?
    Mane is happy here tho ain't he?

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Sky have said Mane and Wanyama are leaving/ want to leave about a million times. They even wanted to talk to Mane after the match to ask if he was leaving. But we sent Fonte and Pelle instead.

20. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

Fair play to Mane- sounds like a rare decent guy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.