1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2015 World Athletic Championships

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Aug 21, 2015.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The last two laps were interesting thanks to the Kenyan who thoroughly deserved the silver. Mo is capable of a going well under 13 min, but today he was never ever tested and the Ethiopians played right into his hands. This has been a poor games for them as I think they have only one gold to date.

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Mo is fantastic. Love watching him race, he's got it all.

The Ides of March likes this.
  3. The Ides of March

There's a cruise mode somewhere that the runner and coach work out between them. 400m is an endurance sprint.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  4. The Ides of March

He is so graceful. It must something inherent in East African runners that they are all so graceful. Years ago the Finns and New Zealanders had some decent middle and long distance runners. Remember Lassie Viren. What has happened to them since? Here in Europe, the Spanish have the perfect build for these events but in global terms they are nowhere.

5. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Sir Mo.

6. The Ides of March

Sir Usain following in the wake of the great Gary Sobers and Sir Viv (?) as well!

7. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Britain has achieved many things in its history. Getting a baton around a track is not one of them.

China will have the silver which is very good.

8. The Ides of March

Standout performer of the week has to be Ashton Eaton with a new world record in the Decathlon. Too easy for Jamaica in the 4x100 relay. US still came second despite a monumental cock-up between Gay and Rodgers when well in the lead. Justin will be doing his nut as such incompetence. What happened to the UK and France to allow China to get third? More work needed there on the exchanges because both nations had fleeter footed individuals than their Chinese counterparts.

9. The Ides of March

Now for manana!! Hope the Kenyans can get at least two more medals to finish with the most golds. Might have a chance in the ladies 5000m but the 1500m for men is a lottery these days. Good disqualification. What are the States doing these days in Men's sprinting? That was a terrible exchange!! I can't believe the gall they displayed wrapping the Stars and Stripes around themselves when they must have known they had transgressed but the countrywide mile which suggests there are some egos in that team. Must be time to say goodbye to Gay and Rodgers, who is hopeless.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Don't know if this has been posted, but it's something I half-heard during the commentary at the World Athletics today, about Mo Farah. It has also been written in an article, and so I've lifted these lines from it:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's an example of a training session he ran a few weeks ago.

A mile knocked out in three minutes 55 seconds. Two-lap jog as recovery. Then a 1,200m run in 2:57. Same recovery. Then 1,000m in 2:27, two laps recovery; 800m in 1:57, two laps recovery; 600m in 80 seconds, two laps; 400m in 50.4, two laps; 200m in 25 seconds.

All done at 1,300m altitude.

Attempt any element of that on its own. Try one 400m lap of your local athletics track in 58 seconds, the time he was averaging across that session.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think I can add anything to that. It's just gobsmacking.

11. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Saw the race earlier and thought Mo might have left himself too much to do on the final lap. Was jumping up and down shouting him on until he cruised passed the Kenyan. Brilliant race. Never should have doubted him.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Brendan Foster said after Mo's epic victory that in his opinion Farah is the greatest sportsman of any kind that Britain has ever had. I wouldn't say I agree 100%, but it's hard to think of many people who could rival him for that accolade. Steve Redgrave? Chris Hoy?

13. The Ides of March

He was modest to put David Beckham ahead of himself in that accolade. I think even David Beckham himself would not put himself on the same platform as Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore or Alan Ball not to mention our world class rugby players, cricketers, athletes, tennis players, golfers, F1 drivers, swimmers, and cyclists. Beckham would find himself well down the list

14. The Ides of March

Ethiopia making up for lost time today. A win in the women's marathon and the first three home in the 5000m. Guess where the net four came from?

15. The Ides of March

I am sure that Victor is as happy as me right now as we celebrate a Kenyan 1st and 2nd in the 1500m for men. Pretty decent times as well. That boy Kiprop has a mighty kick on him as he must having been trailing the leaders by 25m with 250m to go but did he kick and stormed through to take gold. Well done Kenya and I think they will be the top nation having won the most golds.

16. The Ides of March

Pleased that the USA saved a little bit of face at the end with the 4x400 relay gold for men. Bronze for Team GB.I think they might have got under the 3 min barrier which would have been a serious objective besides getting the minor medal.

17. The Ides of March

It has been a brilliant World Athletics Championships. Thank you mods for allowing this thread to run. To my mind you cannot beat this kind of sport for great entertainment and joy. At the moment I feel a much closer affinity to athletes than footballers.

I hope someone is going to put a thread up for the Rugby World Cup because I am sure there are many on here who love the sport. And as there is a dearth of football to talk about, how about a thread for the US Tennis Open. Vamos Serena!!!

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You do realise Saints are playing now, don't you?