1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 6, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Originally known as The Mildmay of Flete Challenge Cup, The Brown Advisory and Merriebelle Stable Plate is run over a distance of about 2 miles and 5 furlongs and during its running there are seventeen fences to be jumped. The Grade 3 Handicap Chase was established in memory of the 2nd Baron Mildmay of Flete (1909–1950), an amateur National Hunt jockey who rode three winners at the Cheltenham Festival. The inaugural race took place in April 1951, because the planned running, in March, had to be abandoned, due to a waterlogged course. The Racing Post sponsored the race from 2006 to 2008, and during this period it was titled the Racing Post Plate. The 2009 running was named the Freddie Williams Festival Plate, in tribute to Freddie Williams (1942–2008), a popular Scottish bookmaker who owned a pitch at Cheltenham. The construction company Byrne Group supported the event from 2010 to 2014 and from 2015 it has been sponsored by Brown Advisory and Merriebelle Stable. Most people simply refer to the race as "The Plate" these days although some still call it "The Mildmay of Flete".

Despite its long history, there have been only 2 dual winners of the race - Mr Henderson's The Tsarevich (1985 and 1986) and Elfast, trained by John Webber, in 1992 and 1994. Fred Winter (3 wins) is the most successful jockey whilst Mr Henderson, Bobby Renton and Martin Pipe are the most successful trainers with 4 wins each. Pipe's son David will be looking to draw equal with dad this year, and having won 3 of the last 6 runnings with Great Endeavour, Salut Flo and Ballynagour he could be the man to follow this time around.

This year the weights are headed by Kerry Lee's Top Gamble, who beat the reappearing (and disappointing) Dodging Bullets at Newbury and is now on a mark of 159. Participation is up in the air as the horse is also entered in the Ryanair and Grand Annual. On 157 we have 3 horses who won last time out and are prominent in the betting - Village Vic, Annacotty and Taquin De Seuil - and all look capable of getting involved at the business end, plus David Pipe's Ballynagour who has stuggled at the top level this winter on soft ground and will be suited by this drop in class and (hopefully) better going. If 157 is indeed top weight then anything below 131 will be out of the handicap but that would cover only 17 of the remaining 103 entries.

I must say I really like Taquin De Seuil for this, he reappearance win at Warwick was very impressive and a 5lbs rise for that doesn't look too harsh. He has festival form having won the JLT Novices Chase in 2014 and he has a massive, massive chance in this race, which is his only festival entry.

Latest betting from Oddschecker

Entries and Weights

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Jonjo O'Neil and Johns Spirit for me, real eyecatcher the last twice and Spring ground will bring him on. Yard getting revved up too and hopefully we will get a fast race that will suit his stalking style.

My one big handicap horse for the festival and hopefully he will go well. 12/1 at the minute.

3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

St Johns Spirit looks to have a good chance and Jonjo is very adept at getting one into a festival handicap on a competitive mark. Irish Cavalier if he lines up at 14s on decent ground would be my pick.

4. OddDog

Staff Member

I can never remember which course Johns Spirit goes best on Nass - as you are a young man who likes to do his homework I assume it is the new course?

5. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Nope, it's the other course. It really doesn't worry me though, think it's one of those things that gets overplayed.

6. OddDog

Staff Member

He is an admirable horse, I was on him ew in the Paddy Power when he got nabbed by Caid Du Berlais. Has to go very close here off 145.

7. stick

stick Bumper King

Going through the handicaps properly this weekend and beyond and did this one last night. Shortlist of six and JOHNS SPIRIT is one of them! In fact he is the shortest price of the six!