1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 3, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Fred Winter Juvenile Hurdle was one of several new races introduced at the Festival when a fourth day was added to the meeting in 2005. It was initially classed at Listed level, and it was promoted to Grade 3 status in 2009. The event is named in memory of Fred Winter (1926–2004), who was successful as both a jockey and a trainer in National Hunt racing. Winter's record at the Cheltenham Festival included seventeen victories as a jockey, and twenty-eight as a trainer, but his most famous day probably came in 1962 on board Mandarin in the Grand Steeplechase de Paris (This quote from the Guardian's 10 greatest horse races of all time: Sheer heroism from horse and jockey. Mandarin's bit broke early in the race, leaving Fred Winter with no brakes or steering around Auteuil's dizzying four-mile figure-of-eight circuit, but a combination of leg-power and willpower kept the partnership intact. Three fences out the exhausted Mandarin broke down in one of his forelegs, but he kept slogging on, taking the lead 100 yards out only to have the French horse Lumino launch a late challenge and grab Mandarin at the line. Verdict: Mandarin by a head. John Oaksey wrote: 'I have never seen a comparable feat, never expect to - and can only thank God I was there.'.) The Grade 3 race is open to horses aged four years only ("Juveniles") and is run on the Old Course over a distance of about 2 miles and 110 yards with eight hurdles to be jumped.

The race is essentially a handicap for those juveniles not considered good enough for the Triumph Hurdle. With such a short history there are no trends to speak of, Paul Nicholls is the only trainer to win it twice, a feat no jockey has achieved. Weights vary from light to heavy as the table of previous winners shows:

upload_2016-3-3_17-18-36.png

Worth noting the filly Gaspara landed the bonus for winning Sandown's Imperial Cup and any race at the festival in 2007. She took the Imperial Cup under AP McCoy on Saturday on heavy going under 10st 5lbs and followed up just 3 days later under Andrew Glassonbury in the Fred Winter. Well done girl.

49 are entered at this stage and the market is headed by Gordon Elliot's Campeador (a good 4th at Leopardstown on Boxing Day and not entered in the Triumph) and Paul Nicholls talking horse Diego Du Charmil who came to Ditcheat after 3 placed efforts in France. They like him a lot.

Latest betting from Oddschecker

Entries and weights

Ron likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One of my all time favourites, Mandarin. What a brave little horse he was.

3. OddDog

Staff Member

The field is now down to a manageable 40 and Jer's Girl off 11-01 is really taking my eye in this. She has been mixing it with the top juveniles in Ireland this winter and her 2nd on Boxing Day behind Apple's Jade is top class form. I'm prepared to forgive her a poor run last time out and think she goes here with a massive chance at 16/1. She is still in the new mares novice hurdle and the Triumph but this race makes most sense off this mark.

Ste D likes this.
  4. stick

stick Bumper King

Love her odddy, on my short list that isn't particularly short lol

OddDog likes this.
  5. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Duke Street for the good doctor? Beat Duke of Medina of levels early on in the season and has had his mark managed since.

6. OddDog

Staff Member

Might jumping at speed be his downfall Chan?

7. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Campeador was one fancied for big things before his debut in a G1 at Christmas time only to pull too hard and end up well beaten is the obvious one for me in this. That was until he felt the full force of the usual xenophobic handicapping from good old Phil Smith <laugh>

8. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Favourites have a sh!te record in this race.Best throw a dart blind folded at the racing post and put a fiver ew on it

9. stick

stick Bumper King

Confident about one in this Ste but you will have to wait for the Festival Preview to find out what its called LOL

Ste D likes this.
  10. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Probably right Oddy. I've been watched his previous races apart from the Ludlow race which I couldn't find and he's hardly fluent. What drew me to this one was his beating of Whittington's Duke of Medina who has run some nice races since and now has to concede 18lbs when they reopppose.