1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Toby Balding National Hunt Chase

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 3, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The longest race at the festival, at 4 miles with 24 fences to be jumped, the National Hunt Chase has been run more often than any other race at the festival. This year will see the 156th running, with Bridegroom having won the inaugural race in 1860 at Market Harborough. Only the Grand Annual is older in terms of festival races.

The race is for novice chasers and amateur riders only and is essentially a level-weights race, although mares receive 7lbs and 5YOs 2lbs. The more established amateur riders tend to be nabbed by the top yards for their horses, and it sounds like Gordon Elliot is hoping to put Jamie Codd on current ante post second-favourite Noble Endeavour. Current favourite at around 5/1 is Jonjo O'Neill's Minella Rocco, who was just touched off in the Reynoldstown.

Clearly an abundance of stamina is a key requirement but, with these being novices, many may not yet have demonstrated their stamina on the track so it pays to take a look at breeding as part of the selection process.

Latest betting from Oddschecker

Entries

Ron likes this.
  2. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I have a small e/w on Definitly Red @ 25/1... Since being pulled up last year in the Albert DefRed has had figures of 2122, so I just think that at the odds that wee on show at the time I looked I couldn't resist... Currently 16/1...