1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 Trull House Stud Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Mar 6, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Grade 2 Trull House Stud Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle is officially registered as The Dawn Run Mares' Novices' Hurdle, in honour of Paddy Mullins' great mare who won the Champion Hurdle in 1984 (as well as the Ascot Hurdle, Christmas Hurdle, Irish Champion Hurdle, Aintree Hurdle and French Champion Hurdle in the same season) and returned from injury to Prestbury Park in 1986 to win the most emotional of Gold Cups under Jonjo O'Neill.

The race is run over 2 miles 1 furlong and there are 8 flights of hurdles to be jumped. As 2016 sees the first running of the race there is no history to report upon and no race stats.

There are 36 entries at the moment and we have a red-hot favourite in Willie Mullins' mare Limini, who is unbeaten in her last 5 races (the last 2 for Mullins and 3 before that in France). Whilst she has the motor of a Rolls Royce she has tended to jump like a Skoda at times but that hasn't stopped her being put in here as a general 5/6 favourite with Brian Ellison's Smart Talk a general 2nd favourite at around 7/1.

Although this is a level-weights race, at 11-02, there are 6 horses entered (including Limini and Smart Talk) who have won a Class 1 race and must therefore carry a 5lbs penalty. 4YOs receive a 7lbs allowance but a number of the 4YO entrants also carry penalties for previous wins.

Latest betting from Oddschecker

Entries

Ron likes this.
  2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

That penalty is stupid, this is supposed to be a pinnacle race but they are penalising the proven horses for what they've done before. I haven't looked at this race before now, but that has irked me.

Do you know if Tea In Transvaal is due to run? I'd be tempted at 25s if she is. Race could cut up majorly.

Also will this impact on that good mares race at Newbury?

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Tea In Transvaal is also entered in the Supreme Nass, but I would think she is more likely to run here. Agree the penalty is bonkers, nothing like that in the Triumph Hurdle (fillies get 7) or any of the novice hurdles (mares get 7, 4YOs get 8) at the festival.