1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2016 World Hurdle

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 21, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The 2016 World Hurdle

The World Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run on the New Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 3 miles (4,828 metres), and during its running there are twelve hurdles to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March. It is the leading long-distance hurdle event in the National Hunt calendar, and it is the feature race on the third day of the Festival.

The inaugural race was run in 1912 at Prestbury Park over 3 miles with £100 (£200 in 1913) prize money to the winner and £10 to the runner-up. It was called "Stayers Selling Hurdle" and was a Weight for Age Selling type of event with the winning horse being sold for £50 after the race. The race was dropped from the festival programme twice during 1928-1929 and in 1939-1945 but in 1946 it replaced the Spa Hurdle which was previously ran in 1923 and 1942 over 2 miles. From 1946 to 1967 the Spa Hurdle was ran over the same 3 miles until being renamed in 1972 as the Stayers' Hurdle when it was sponsored by Lloyds Bank. It was backed by Waterford Crystal from 1978 to 1990, and by Bonusprint from 1991 to 2004. The race used to be held on either the Tuesday or the Wednesday of the Festival, but it was moved to the Thursday in 1993.

The modern title of the race was changed to the World Hurdle when Ladbrokes took over the sponsorship in 2005. Recent years have been dominated by multiple winners such as Inglis Drever, Barracouda and the irrepressible Big Buck’s, who made the race his own from 2009 – 2012.

This year’s betting is currently headed by Thistlecrack, Colin Tizzard’s Kayf Tara gelding showing that his Grade 1 novice hurdle victory in Aintree’s Sefton was no fluke by taking Newbury’s Long Distance Hurdle, and the Grade 1 Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot, in imperious fashion.

Current betting as of Jan 21st (Bet 365):

Thistlecrack 9/4
    Annie Power 5/1
    Cole Harden 7/1
    Vroum Vroum Mag 8/1
    Camping Ground 9/1
    Nicholls Canyon, Auxs Ptit Soins 10/1
    Alpha Des Obeaux 12/1
    14/1 Bar

Willie Mullins’ mares Annie Power and Vroum Vroum Mag may have alternative targets (VVM runs at Ascot on 23rd Jan over an extended 2m7f, a convincing victory may see her World Hurdle bound). Reigning champ Cole Harden has looked jaded in 2 runs on heavy ground but will be much more at home on spring ground. Camping Ground steps up in trip for the first time in the Cleeve Hurdle where he will meet Thistlecrack, the winner of that race will surely be a very warm order for the World Hurdle. Ireland’s leading challenger away from Closutton will likely be the winner of the Grade 2 Galmoy Hurdle at Gowran Park in a few minutes time.

The 2016 Cheltenham Festival Megathread

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
    Ron likes this.
  2. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Nice write up Oddy.Decent run by Alpha Was Obeaux at Gowran today and has been cut from 12s to 10s.Mouse thinks he will appreciate better ground and I think he's a good Ew shout.At Fishers Cross looks like he is a spent force and Martello Tower's jumping was sketchy at times today.Briar Hill was well beaten but was badly in need of the run after being off the track for so long.Thistkecrack looks the one to beat at this stage but ADO can certainly put it up to him.

3. OddDog

Staff Member

48 declared. You'll know from my Avatar who I'm on ;)

upload_2016-1-21_18-12-52.png

4. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Such a bad race that it may actually be quite exciting.

5. OddDog

Staff Member

I'm expecting a procession Bob <ok>

6. beeforsalmon

beeforsalmon Well-Known Member

Hope Vroum Vroum gets the nod to go for this. Thistlecrack may not like the track and he's the only one to beat. Possibly clutching at straws hey ho, but got to get with the script and find ways to get things beat don't I <laugh>

7. OddDog

Staff Member

If Thistlecrack beats Camping Ground impressively in the Cleeve he must shorten to around evens I reckon.

8. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

I have about 3 different ante post bets in this race! None on the Fav!! Lol don't ask my why but VVM, PTIT Zig, Cole Harden who is slowly becoming a bit of a forgotten horse! On better ground he will give the Fav one hell of a run and at the prices i wouldn't touch the price of the Fav who may or may not get the course (again trying to find reasons to get him beat <laugh> ) or we will get double price big winner!

9. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

This is a race I want to see, like you I've been following thistlecrack and want him to win, but I've got a new champion. I don't know what to think

10. OddDog

Staff Member

I think they haven't got anywhere near the bottom of Thistlecrack yet mate. The way he travelled and jumped in the Long Walk was beautiful. I agree Camping Ground looked impressive but I think the race fell apart somewhat and he clearly handled the going better than the others.

11. Exotic Dancer

Exotic Dancer Active Member

I think COLE HARDIN is being primed for one big day 10/1 each-way on the defending champ seems fair to me. If he gets his ground of course...

12. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Agree that Cole Harden will be primed for spring ground and we can ignore his form this far. However- the form from last years World Hurdle- does it stand up?

13. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Red Sherlock- 66/1 NRNB beats Cole Harden on 2014 form and is a massive price! Should he turn up

14. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

People seem to be raving about Thistlecrack and dismissive of Camping Ground.
    I can't understand why. Camping Ground has won four of his six hurdle races.
    Last March ( in the Imperial Cup) he finished a good fourth behind Ebony Express, giving upwards of 15lbs to the whole field- including Thistlecrack who finished behind him in fifth.
    Yes, he obviously relishes soft ground but that isn't a logical reason to dismiss him.
    Yes, Thistlecrack has doubtless improved, but why shouldn't Camping Ground have improved also?
    After all, he's only just turned six and is two years younger than Thistlecrack.
    At best priced 11/4 ( 9/1 for Camping Ground) , Thistlecrack is probably the worst ante-post value at The Festival, especially given the opposition he will face- including one of Mullins' classy mares.
    The bookies really are taking the p--s! I don't know which is more insulting...11/4 Thislecrack or 6/4 by some bookies that Mullins wins 10+ races!

Ste D and Chaninbar like this.
  15. OddDog

Staff Member

I agree Thistlecrack is a lousy price Tam, although I would argue the current Triumph Hurdle favourite, at 3/1 with just a maiden hurdle victory to his name, represents the worst ante-post value right now. At least Thistlecrack has won 2 of the most recognised World Hurdle trials.
    The price differential between Thiustlecrack and Camping Ground is, IMHO, down to the fact that CG has yet to race beyond 20 furlongs. He looks like he ought to get the trip, but he has yet to prove it. The Imperial Cup form you mention was over 16F but clearly the step up to 3 miles has been the making of Thistlecrack and one could argue that his 5th place finish was a very solid effort over a totally inadequate trip.

All should become a lot clearer after the Cleeve Hurdle this Saturday <ok>

16. Tamerlo

Good morning, Oddy. Hope you are well.
    I'm not doubting Thistlecrack has a great chance but the race is far more open than prices suggest.
    You'd have to be frightened to death of any Mullins' entry. Annie Power is one hell of a mare- and Vroum Vroum Mag seems to be improving fast.
    And there's other good horses to think about.
    I do take your point about Camping Ground not having done the distance. It's one of the aspects which makes three miles around Cheltenham so demanding.
    Personally I'd take the 9/1 on offer for Annie Power, if I thought she'd take her chance. No wonder bookies love ante-post for The Festival!

17. OddDog

Staff Member

Still recovering from the broken arm Tam but otherwise well, thanks. I hope you are too?

The noises from camp Mullins regarding Annie Power are that they would only go World Hurdle with a prep run, otherwise she would go straight to the Mares Hurdle. Given the performance of VVM on Saturday, my best guess at the moment would be AP to the mares hurdle and VVM World Hurdle.

18. Tamerlo

Yeah. That's what will probably happen.
    How did you break your arm, by the way? Carrying too much money to the bank?<laugh>

19. OddDog

Staff Member

Unfortunately not <laugh>

Cycling past a parked car and the driver opened his door without looking. I was doing about 35 km/h and smashed into the door with my right forearm, shattering the radius bone just above the wrist joint. I've got a titanium plate in there with 13 screws holding it in place. It has healed well but now starts the physio, getting fingers, hand, wrist moving again. A very slow process.

20. Tamerlo

Best of luck with it. I hope you don't have too much arthritis in the joint as you get older.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016