1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cheltenham Open Meeting 11th - 13th Nov

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Nov 7, 2016.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

For many people The Open Meeting marks the true start of the National Hunt season and offers 3 days of top class racing from the iconic Prestbury Park venue. Run on the old course, the going is currently good (except the cross country course, which is hard, firm in places <yikes>) but there are 8-10 mm of rain forecast Tuesday night and the same again from Friday afternoon. This should hopefully ease the ground to the soft side of good.

Friday 11th November

Fast cards

The first day of the meeting opens with the Grade 2 Neptune Investment Management Hyde Novices hurdle over 2m 5f and this is a chance for a clear-cut winner to put down an early marker for the festival race in the same sponsorship. Shantou Village took this last season and there are 4 entries already rated 130+. The Steel Plate and Sections Novices Chase has been won in recent years by none less than Denman, Grand Crus, Dynaste and Taquin de Seuil and there are plenty of very promising chasers entered this year including Alpha Des Obeaux, Barters Hill, Rock The Kasbah and Shantou Village to mention just 4.

Saturday 12th November

Fast cards

Saturday could open with a real bang as the exciting juvenile Cliffs of Dover is entered in the Triumph Hurdle trial and just 35 minutes later Gold Cup favourite Thistlecrack is entered in the 3 mile novices chase, the latter's participation surely dependent on the advertised rain arriving. One of the big early season handicaps follows, the BetVictor Gold Cup perhaps better know as the Paddy Power or, for the older brigade, the Mackeson. Paul Nicholls' Frodon currently heads the betting but there will be a huge amount of interest in Jonjo's former World Hurdle winner More Of That.

Sunday 13th November

Fast cards

The opening Skybet Supreme Novices Trial could see Ballyandy and Moon Racer renew rivalry after the Perth set-to earlier in the season (although Ballyandy is also entered in Friday's Neptune race). The November Novices Chase has been reopened and then comes The Shloer Chase, the race in which Sprinter Sacre raised the roof 12 months ago. This year it could be another Nicky Henderson horse returning from injury, the talented but fragile Simonsig. The Greatwood is one of the biggest handicap hurdles of the season and Alan King's Dovecote Hurdle winner Winter Escape, owned by JP McManus, is already a hot favourite. A listed bumper rounds things off and with numerous competitive handicaps in between, this is guaranteed to be 3 days of top class racing.

Reebok, rudebwoy, Ron and 1 other person like this.
  2. woolcombe-folly007

woolcombe-folly007 Well-Known Member

Did I read somewhere that the XC race is going to be run over a normal course due to the lack of rain!?!!?

3. woolcombe-folly007

4. woolcombe-folly007

Right so William Hill have given me a £100 free bet due their website being hacked and them apparently having to close their site , not being able to log on and I had a little moan up on twitter. I dont even go on the WH site that much but did do last week, so right result!

I am looking to put it one horse at this meeting any ideas anyone??

5. OddDog

Staff Member

I'd think Moon Racer would take all the beating Woolly and might be a decent price. I'm guessing Thistlecrack will scare off most of the opposition.

If you're looking for a bigger-priced animal, then More Of That in the big one Saturday is being backed ante post .........

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Will anyone be running a comp for this meeting?

7. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Haven’t had a proper look but it will be very, very, very interesting to see how Ned Stark goes in his first run for old boy Gord Elliott – is entered in the 25 Furlong Corinthian riders affair on Friday. Purchased out of the county back in the summer for a rather cheap looking £70k given the fact that he won a Grade 2 over the big 'uns as recently as January '15. Ned Stark’s current perch is 133 and you would have to think his new connections have a lot of ‘room to manoeuvre’ off this perching – maybe all the way to the Grand National.

OddDog and SaveTheHumans like this.
  8. woolcombe-folly007

Great 3 days of racing the Jumps is in full flow!! <party>

NassauBoard likes this.
  9. woolcombe-folly007

Surely Cliffs of Dover has no chance in the Triumph the horse will be ****ing exhausted come march if he carries on at this rate! He's turning into the jump version of Fire Fighting <laugh>

SaveTheHumans and OddDog like this.
  10. woolcombe-folly007

Moon Racer it will be! I have already backed him for March before his win against Ballyandy lto and if he wins on Sunday I will add a little more to the investment

11. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I can't wait!!

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Moon Racer was another one of my TTF last year

13. woolcombe-folly007

Surely Should be in this years too !?!

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Had to check and it isn't. Sod's law says if I swap one out that will win more

15. woolcombe-folly007

I see WHAT ABOUT CARLO is making his hurdling debut in the supreme trial- talk about an introduction to hurdling what a hot race to start off with. Reports are he is working well and has been over at Henrietta knights jumping

16. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

He will be relieved he won't have stalls to fall out of at least.

17. OddDog

Staff Member

18mm of rain overnight has changed the going to good, good-soft in places on the chase and hurdles tracks but has not been enough to save the cross-country race, which has been cancelled on safety grounds. A veterans handicap chase will replace it, but will be run at the start of the card to avoid any potential issues with low sun.

NassauBoard likes this.
  18. NassauBoard

Perfect ground on the chase course then.

19. OddDog

Staff Member

More rain forecast Friday afternoon / evening Nass, so I think it pretty much certain we'll be seeing Thistlecrack on Saturday <ok>

20. NassauBoard

Interesting to see the chases all early on the card, but the low sun has issues for hurdlers too. Wonder if we will see hurdles dolled off.