1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours The January 2015 Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Gregm88, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregm88

Gregm88 Active Member

Probably a little early for this thread but...

Does anyone think we will have any significant plans for the January transfer window? And by significant I mean at least one signing or loan of a player that can challenge for a spot in the first team

One thing we seem to be doing well is going for players that can go into our first team / challenge (Forster, Tadic, Pelle etc) and players that a obviously required due to lack of depth (e.g. obvious upgrade on Jos).
    Granted it is easier when departures mean slots are available.

But it seems to be one of the things Liverpool have struggled with. Spending reasonably big money on players who would not get in their first choice side (Markovic, Can, potentially Lallana if they use their diamond) or large money on players who are not a significant upgrade on what the have or had (Lovren vs. Skrtl, Agger and Sakho)

>Looking through our squad the obvious hole is GK back up. But given the above mentioned policy and recent GK signing I don't see any movement here. I think we just have to hope our new coach can get something out of Gazzaniga and Cropper. I don't see us signing someone who is happy to be backup (even a senior pro as Kelvin is here).

>Defence seems well stocked, perhaps a little light on full back cover but the plan seems to be to use youth

>Central midfield seems interesting. Schneiderlin will be linked away but given:

- Our valuation in the summer (minimum 27m reportedly)
    - His improved performances and addition of goals to his game
    - January transfer premium (especially on inter premier league transfers)

I see him being out of the price range of Spurs and Arsenal (as Wenger will never bid big money for a defensive player). Man United have other targets, Chelsea don't need him etc....

There are rumours (but I am not sure where they are from) that Koeman does not rate Wanyama and Cork still hasn't signed a new contract (I think he is waiting until December to see how many games he gets).

There were also numerous links in the Summer to CMs (e.g. Onazusi and Clasie, I think even Lucas). I assume the murmurings came from somewhere, so perhaps Koeman is still looking at this area.

With potentially 2-3 of the above off in the summer it might be an idea to get someone in in January.

>Wide areas / support attack

Currently we have Tadic, Mane (unseen as yet), Long and JRod (injured). They are supported by Isgrove and McQueen (but I'm not sure Koeman rates him as he didn't come on against Newcastle).

The videos I have seen of Mane suggest he mainly plays in from the left and sometimes central (like J Rod). I can't help but think he is an early replacement for when J Rod eventually leaves.

Jay has 18 months on his contract in January and doesn't seem to be keen to sign up. I wouldn't be surprised to see us cash in especially as he may never return to pre-injury levels. He also might not get into the current team and would sooner be a highly paid sub at city or spurs than a less well paid sub at saints.

It would be interesting what the fee is as it was rumoured to be 15m in the summer, but that seems low for someone who scored 15 goals not playing as an out and out striker last year. I suppose it is reduced due to remaining time on contract

If Jay leave we may get someone in (perhaps someone more orthodox right sides player).

>Central Striker : We seem OK as we have Pelle, Gallagher and can be covered by Mane, Long and Jay (if he stays)

What do people think?
    Any obvious areas to target?

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You're right, it is far too early for this. I'll close it until at least the end of November.

Edit: a few people have asked if we can have a January Transfer Thread so as there are only 6 weeks to go, here it is. Apologies to Gregm88 for keeping it on ice since September!

3. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

OK 6 weeks to go and the rumour mill is starting to grind. Redmond seems to have been linked for months but I'm not overly keen. I suppose the first question is what do we actually need?

Assuming Artur goes a reserve keeper and cover for Pelle seem the most important. Not sure we need any more in defence or midfield?

So who would you want us to buy?

4. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

Why would we want to sell Artur in January, just leave him where he is and sign a replacement in the summer? But I do agree we need someone as cover for pelle....

5. Gregm88

Gregm88 Active Member

Odd because main links I have seen so far are for defenders and midfielders.

There is the Austrian guys who plays for besiktas.

Then vlaar, wolloschied and martins indi.
    Although the central defeners seem rehashes of summer rumours.

We have also been linked with dybala but the Palermo chief seems impossible to deal with. Also not sure if he fits in our system

6. Saintalona

Did a quick search looking for possible strikers who we could sign and came across this...

Dusan Tadic

Tadic has been linked with a number of clubs this month after impressing for Twente since signing from Groningen in the summer of 2012. The versatile 25-year-old can play on either wing as well as an out-and-out striker and is already an established Serbia international.

Twente may be unwilling to do business with Everton after their botched attempts to sign Leroy Fer last January disrupted the squad. However, after Tadic initially said he was reluctant to move mid-season, talk of a cash-plus-player deal involving Johnny Heitinga has seen hopes of a transfer revived.

So very glad he didn't go to Everton...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/13/five-strikers-everton-could-sign-in-the-january-transfer-window-4261266/

7. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

That surely depends on what happens with Rodriguez. And what about Gallagher, he was supposed to be the next big thing and, I would have thought, a similar player to Pelle. Anyone know the score with him?

8. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Think he's still recovering from a leg op.

9. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Had a rough year poor bugger.
    I hope he comes back strong next season.

10. Saintalona

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

12. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

13. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

Think that would suit everyone. Pick up Ingsy on a nominal fee to replace him.

Unless we want someone with a bit of height

14. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Love the bit in the OP about Koeman potentially not rating Big Vic. If he didn't he certainly does now!

With regards to our January activity, it is now well documented how well oiled a machine the club is behind the scenes. Plans and contingencies are in place for all manner of outcomes and I have no doubt that one of them is "What actions to undertake if the team finds itself in a position to seriously challenge for a Champions League place". Points tabled at a meeting on this topic would have cited that the manager believes that a few additions would be required in order to sustain the challenge. The choice therefore would simply come down to whether we go for it or not. I simply cannot see us doing anything other than going for it given that it will probably never be easier to attract signings, we're sitting on a few golden geese if we don't quite do it (so any financial exposure is immediately mitigated) and we're so organised that this decision has probably already been made in light of our second place position and the floundering of the usual suspects. In light of this, I'm certain we'll see some significant activity in January.

15. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Personally I would be extremely happy if our only business is signing Toby and Bertrand on permanent deals. Both would be coups the way they are playing!

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Blimey, after Beefy asked about a January transfer rumour thread I expected to be able to see the title, so I've altered it a bit to make sure everybody can see it. Including me. Hope you don't mind Greg88 but it was a bit titchy for such a much anticipated thread. Cheers.

17. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Fully agree with this post, as long no players go through the exit door?

18. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Hmm, maybe get one or two positions backed up. I don't know the condition of Artur's loan and whether he'd return to cover for Fraser on a next game basis. Jay returning, and staying, would be like a new signing. I certainly agree with tying down Toby and Ryan though.

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Sign:
    Bertrand
    Alderweireld

Look to bring in:
    Gk: interested in Butland again.
    Winger: Redmond linked.
    Striker: no clue.

20. Gregm88

Gregm88 Active Member

No problem. I wouldn't have noticed the resurrection of the original one without the comments. Didn't start from the beginning!

My original comments on Wanyama were based on some rumours over the summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.