1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The League Cup Thread 2015-16

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Aug 26, 2015.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My guess of £20 was a good one then. :) Well done Saints.

2. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

We're a bit more of a non-story this year because the club didn't implode after all the changes last season. They can't keep saying "aren't Southampton doing well after losing so and so" in a shocked voice this year because they now know we're stable enough to keep going - their chance of a big story has disappeared.

The BBC drives me potty anyway - employing John Inverdale as a supposed unbiased presenter (not pundit, presenter) just shows how clueless they are.

3. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

One thing they're getting better at on the BBC is shoving big four team's games to the end of the programme when they're 0-0. There were recent times when a 0-0 between Man U/City/Chelsea and another top four side would still be fairly high up the schedule.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I'm expecting the pre-match previews to be largely about Bournemouth and their injuries and rise through the leagues, with maybe 15% of the column inches devoted to us, with the aftermatch reports being similar - even if we win by 6 clear goals.
    Just as it was for Liverpool, all about Klopp, and Villa, all about Sherwood going, the media will continue to ignore us. Some reports mentioned that Villa made 5 changes to their starting line up, yet mentioned nothing about us having made 7 changes, but hey, that's the way it is, these days.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

There must be one team in the EPL where we'd be the news story.

6. whatsheblownthewhistleforthistime

I'm kinda okay that we don't get all the coverage, kinda means we are the discerning man's football team... You've got to know your football to appreciate how good we are.. The longer we stay under the spotlight the better for saints I reckon. ...

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Spot on. Just how I like it.

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I appreciate that position, but we've been the discerning person's football team for some years, and it's about time we started gaining the recognition that is due to us.

I think what really gets up my nose is the constant concentration on top 4-6 teams, even when they aren't in the top 4 [Chelsea]. That's not Chelsea's fault, but the SKY led media entirely. SKY set the agenda, everybody else follows.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

If you look at it objectively, it's the same as, say, a car manufacturer spending all their advertising revenue on their most popular models. Why not advertise, as car manufacturers do, the more niche part of the range? Likewise, everybody already knows everything worth knowing about Arsenal, Man Utd and so on, and the obsession with the fallen idols like Liverpool (never won the Premier League) and Tottenham (last league title in 1961) is baffling. Wouldn't it be better for the ratings in the long term if more TV viewers followed their local team, or one in the same geographical region at least?

10. TheSecondStain

As SKY set the agenda on this one, I also find it baffling that they don't have a policy of rebalancing the lopsided coverage. In the long term it would lead to more subscribers for them. Actually, that's something I perhaps shouldn't be encouraging because I would like SKY to disappear without trace, espcially while that criminal Murdoch owns it.

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes, that's the paradox I struggle with as well! Maybe we should encourage BT to make more inroads into Sky's hegemony, except their coverage is so amateurish in comparison.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  12. TheSecondStain

They'll get better. Mind you, anything BT tends to be also-ran stuff, be it Telephone, Broadband or TV. :)

13. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I have nothing to say.

Lovelocum likes this.
  14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Been pleased with BT Broadband, but has been briefly flicking off over the last couple of weeks. Never done that before.

15. TheSecondStain

I'll assume you have wireless, rather than a wired connection to your broadband. There's several reasons for your problems. 1] You could be in a part of the house where your wireless signal is less good in strength and quality. 2] The BT Broadband hub is notoriously average and occasionally trips up. A high quality router [ie ones that don't come free with the Broadband] don't do this. 3] BT notoriously throttle their connections [ie, deliberately limit the bandwidth during peak usage despite saying they don't] which means your connection might trip out. 4] BT have been spending an awful lot of money on their new TV packages and it's possible they've not been investing in their Broadband servers, which could mean connection trip outs at their end.

As you have a super-duper new laptop I'll assume that's still fine.

But you know what they say about assumptions.! :)

16. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I had to change from Virgin when they transferred their non-cable broadband customers to TalkTalk. I immediately went for BT broadband but within the first couple of months had long outages, from 12 hours to 2 days. I wasn't impressed but things have definitely improved and in the last few months there haven't been any problems at all. Fingers crossed...

17. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Wednesday 2nd December 2015 Southampton v Liverpool
    Referee:- ROBERT MADLEY Assistants:- Michael McDonough and Marc Perry :
    Fourth Official:- Andre Marriner

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Oh Jeez Madley. I really can't stand him and his wife....

:)

Archers Road and Onionman like this.
  19. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He owes us two penalties from Stamford Bridge. He's welcome to make amendments on Wednesday.

20. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Wot? No match day thread?