1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 17th April)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 17, 2024.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect143451.jpg

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 17th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds will fail FFP if promoted

Top Lawyer Stefan Borson has claimed that Leeds Utd will fail the Premier League’s FFP regulations if promoted to the top flight this season!

Borson, Chief Executive of the 'Watchstone Group', whose past clients include Manchester City, alleges that a £20m promotion bonus (inserted in the contracts of the players and coaches) will tip Leeds over the edge of their profit and sustainability responsibilities, and make them susceptible for prosecution next season.

Although Phil Hay and Keiran Maguire have both assured the Leeds faithful that the books balance, Borson is insistent that promotion bonuses will spoil the mood at Elland Road this Summer. Speaking to talkSPORT, Borson claimed:-

“If Leeds get promoted this season, they will fail PSR because of a £20million hit to promotion bonuses. “Of course, they’ve not had the countervailing revenue increase, they’ve actually had a revenue decrease.

"Ironically, by getting promotion they could fail PSR and be punished in the Premier League even though the only reason they failed is because they got promoted.”

please log in to view this image

Saints claw their way back into promotion contention

Southampton moved back to within three points of Leeds (and a game in hand) with a dominant 3-0 victory over Preston, last night at St Mary's.

Just when the South Coast outfit looked down and out, wins against Coventry, Watford (and Preston) have bought Russell Martin's side back into the reckoning. Leeds do still command a better goal difference than all their promotion rivals with a +42 (vs +30 Southampton, +32 Ipswich and +41 Leicester City).

Just two points separate Leeds from top spot, and with only three games of the season left, that advantage could prove critical when all said and done!

Boro could be without 11 first team players for Leeds clash

Middlesbrough could be without eleven first team players for the clash with Leeds Utd next Monday!

Whilst Luke Ayling and Sam Greenwood are ineligible to play against their parent club, Tom Glover, Tommy Smith, Darragh Lenihan, Paddy McNair, Dael Fry, Hayden Hackney, Riley McGree, Marcus Forss, Josh Coburn are all suffering with injury.

Michael Carrick's team are undefeated in nine games, but their rich vein of form has come too late to make the play off's. They are eight points shy of sixth place Norwich City, and with just three to play look set to just miss out.

2. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone
    My Southampton mate likened the championship this season to a horse race, three Horses/teams went sprinting to a runaway lead where the fourth placed horse/ named Southampton sat in the slip stream biding it's time, with only a furlong to go three horses ie Leicester/Leeds/Ipswich Are weakening whilst Southampton are finishing strongly to win by a neck/point.
    He could be right could be a photo finish. But as Elland mentioned above, goal difference which could be worth that extra point, might just push us over the line.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Am I worried if we fail ffp next season if promoted? Not at all. Couldn't care less. Precedent has been set at two or three points which makes no difference as we wont be in contention for anything. If Everton can avoid relegation minus a load of points and getting thrashings like last night then we should too.

4. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Although of course the F A will decide that the rules regarding FFP punishment need to change, and it just a coincidence that Leeds United will be the first to be punished under the new rules, that see teams immediately docked 75 points:emoticon-0105-wink:

5. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Four years ago to the day, we lost a true legend.

6. stonkin

stonkin Well-Known Member

**** me! 4 years already. What a legend :emoticon-0146-punch

7. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Couldn’t believe 4 years

8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Afternoon all. Haven’t caught up on any of the threads yet. Don’t know what to say really except it’s painful to see us bottle it after all the hard work and good results. It’s not even like we (or Leicester and Ipswich) are going to take any good form into the playoffs. As old red nose used to say, “squeaky bum” time and had a loose sphincter. So very disappointing.

9. Normanbitmyleg70

Normanbitmyleg70 Well-Known Member

Legend has it when a Leeds United trainer was told Norman Hunter ‘had broken a leg’, he came out with the following response.

“Whose is it?”

10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I remember we once went 106 corners without scoring. Anyone any idea (Aski? :D) how many corners we've had since we last scored from one? Watching this mob, it might be heading to 1006. Got to the stage that I cheer if we get past the first defender! Which is not often. Sadly. :(

Makemstine Roger and Eireleeds1 like this.

11. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

131 corners since we last scored from one directly, that being the game against Ipswich on 23 Dec 2023

Now I can get back to my listening to cover songs evening, after being rudely interrupted by WJ :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  12. Leedsoflondon

Personally, I don’t think many clubs score from corners in comparison to the amount they get.

FORZA LEEDS and ristac like this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Evening all

14. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

my access to the data is limited (due to sites wanting me to spend money to look at their numbers).

Cardiff had 111 corners prior to Christmas fixtures and they have the best conversion ratio, having scored 10 of their 28 goals from corners.

Interesting stat from Opta for last season, we managed to score 10 goals from 199 corners. Arsenal scored 13 from 224 corners and Liverpool scored 12 from 235 corners. So that would suggest that 5% of a teams corners lead to goals on average (EDIT - Originally the number of corners mentioned above was only for home games, thus amended to include both home and away games, hence why the % is now only 5% instead of 10%)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  15. Leedsoflondon

Thanks for that but that’s only eight teams in the division, would be interesting to know if that is the average for all of them. Not asking you to find out just to be clear <cheers>

Aski likes this.
  16. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I’d have said 0 points at Boro. A faint glimmer of hope if they are all out, but we’ve heard that one before. Better news is they know the play offs are out of reach

QPR are useless but them so are we at the moment.

if it’s all down to the last game, heaven help us, they are the form team.

play offs will be like league 1 final v Doncaster - lots of half chances but an inability to actually ****ing score, will mean we screw up

you’re welcome. I can do Really Depressing too, if you need it.

17. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Amazing though how other clubs are also bottling their seasons. Rangers thankfully have imploded as always as have Liverpool and Arsenal. Little consolation to us but show how few players seem capable of handling the pressure. For me, I think the Leicester wba game Saturday will go a long way in deciding our season. Leicester must drop points or we’re done. Good chance they will though and then of course we won’t beat boro just when hopes are up

18. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

That’s right, let’s both keep positive.

southernwhite and Eireleeds1 like this.
  19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We have to get 6 points from next two, 4 might prove okay going into the last game but that’s a big hope

Two away wins or I think the Southampton game will prove non important for us

Makemstine Roger and Eireleeds1 like this.
  20. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

no worries LoL, and just to be clear I have actually lolled as having read your message I decided to do a Google search for

"average number of goals from corners in the 2022/23 premier league"

and immediately found this ( 60 minutes of looking for info last night, and I find this within 5 minutes this morning :) )

Taken from the Premier League website

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3534079

upload_2024-4-18_11-47-3.png

upload_2024-4-18_11-48-17.png

For anyone who is not yet numbed by numbers, just found a similar article to the above on the OPTA website. I won't post the info on here but for anyone who is interested, here's the link

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/01/premier-league-corners-justifiable-excitement/

although I will post this about how our corners were taken last season

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024