1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Right Man at the Right Club at the Right Time.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 29, 2015.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City chairman Keith Dawe tips Steve Cotterill for Premier League future.
    please log in to view this image

Bristol City's Steve Cotterill is a proven Championship manager , but he remains ambitious to work in the Premier League.

Bristol City chairman Keith Dawe has described manager Steve Cotterill as "the right man at the right club at the right time."
    The man who led the Robins to a Johnstone's Paint Trophy and promotion double last season was this week named League One manager of the Year by his peers at the League Managers' Association.

Cotterill also landed a special achievement award after leading City to the League One title with a club-record haul of 99 points.
    Robins chairman Dawe, one of the Ashton Gate directors responsible for hiring Cotterill in December 2013, believes he has the attributes required to one day manage in the Premier League.

Basing his argument upon Cotterill's past record in the Championship, Dawe is convinced the man he first met at Cheltenham Town more than a decade ago has the ability to propel City to the promised land at some point in the future.

"I believe Steve Cotterill has the capacity to be a Premier League manager," Dawe told the Bristol Post.
    "I also believe he has the capability to lead us to promotion from the Championship. He is a proven Championship manager and could potentially be a Premier League manager in the future.
    "He will be worth a considerable number of points to us in the Championship next season – that is how highly I rate him.

"I have known Steve for about 12 years now and have always thought he had the ability to work at the top level. He has personality and leadership skills and he inspires people to be the best they can be.

"I feel he is the right man at the right club at the right time."

Cotterill joined Chelsea's Jose Mourinho, Bournemouth's Eddie Howe and Wycombe's Gareth Ainsworth in winning the divisional awards at the LMA's annual dinner on Tuesday evening.

Dawe said of the award: "I was not in the least bit surprised that Steve won it. I assumed he would.
    "He worked exceptionally hard and could not have done any more than he did to meet the objectives we set before the start of last season.
    "I know he will be pleased to have been recognised in this way by his fellow professionals.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristo...e-tips-Steve/story-26591122-detail/story.html

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Championship is the next big challenge , let's consolidate our position there and then we can dream.

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

One step at a time.
    After a joke of an appointment process, the board finally got lucky with SC after some miserable attempts at running a professional football club previously. But I guess if you give a million monkeys a million typewriters one of them will eventually write 'The Gas are ****'

Lets all remember what it was like before SC appeared and turned our fortunes around.

Let's also remember the wonderful season just gone, if we don't do quite as well at times next season.

4. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Can remember Steve saying at the celebration parade that we must stick by everyone next year if it gets tough. Which is important as realistically we won't be challenging for automatic promotion and unlikely for the playoffs yet unless we surpass expectation. We need to build now so that we can challenge for promotion in a few years time and not overuse like QPR and other yoyo teams.

Also he said we need to fill the gate, while the faithful have always been there it would be nice to see some of those who just go to wembley coming out and filling the gate.

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We cant realistically mount a challenge for the Prem with a half built stadium and small capacity, and when we get there (not if, but when) we need the infrastructure in place to stay there.
    It's a shame the stadium work wasn't already complete before last season began as we could have taken that momentum into the new season and who knows where that might have led.

6. Redandy

Redandy Active Member

Yeah it may be early to start saying this, but, i think we all need a moment of reflection, the last season was awesome, but we need to start really thinking seriously about not trying to run before we can walk!!
    The Championship is going to be bloody hard next season and we need to be more patient than the last time we got there, yes the play-off final never helped our expectations but they in reflection became our final downfall/demise, as fans then were not happy at finishing in top 10, which with hindsight is crazy isnt it?
    We all hope we could do the same as last time with a better outcome (Bournemouth ror example), but if not can we all stay positive and get 100% behind the club in GOOD and BAD times that MAY come, and maybe a 3-5 year plan in the championship may not be a bad thing IMHO................

........over to you peeps, on your thoughts

BrightredRickster likes this.
  7. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Think you are 100% right, but a small voice inside me says "what if…"

8. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

We need to build the momentium and yes the premiership at the first hurdle would be fantastic for Bristol.
    Imagine the following season if we were in the prem,in a full completly revamped Ashton Gate.
    That would be some dream<bubbly><bubbly><bubbly>

let's take our momentium into the championship and do a Bournemouth.

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

They done it in two years, so fingers crossed but I think we will do well to consolidate next season.

10. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

Steve Cotterill will not settle for mid table, he will go all out for promotion next season, he wants to win every game...he is a very, very bad loser, just the sort of manager that brings success & I believe he will.....Championship watch out, Bristol City & Steve Cotterill are coming to get ya.

TETBURY MASSIVE likes this.

11. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'let's take our momentium into the championship and do a Bournemouth'

Momentum is everything and I believe our best chance to go up is next season.
    Have a mad feeling we'll do it.

12. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Its not managing expectations that is difficult with our fans, its managing the lows when its not going so well. we are surrounded by fans who swing to such extremes after just a couple of losses.

I just hope Cotts has bought enough goodwill to see us through a few low points.

13. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Don't be silly, mid to low table in November and the Cotts out threads will appear.

Hopefully it doesn't happen and he gets a fair chance. But I think both me and you know who will be first

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We must be realistic and remember we are going up to the toughest 2nd level in all of the footballing world. The gap in class and skill is mind blowing but trust In SC and the players who start the season is paramount in us succeeding.

15. cidered abroad

cidered abroad Well-Known Member

We swing down very easily because the past is full of long periods of mediocrity and failure. We usually take a minimum of five years to climb out of League One after a relegation, so to do it in two years and combined with the stadium rebuild, shows that maybe a wind of change is actually blowing through Bristol City FC.
    Only time will tell but the longer we have success, the better we will all be able to cope with the periods of drought.

16. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

very true

is SC capable of moving us forward and maintaining us to a mid / and high position in the Champs? I am on the fence!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  17. Babe

Babe New Member

After leaving Burnley in 2007 after three poor years in the Championship his career was in the doldrums. He was selected by the City after we had a run of disastrous appointments. Since then he has done exceptionally well and must be congratulated. While he made some good investments the case for him as a potentail Premiership manager remains unproven. There is a big difference between L1 and the Championship and his future career will depend how he performs ongoing and not on his mediocre "past record in the Championship".

18. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Yes I know, I was referring to you and others on here!

RedorDead likes this.
  19. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I assume you mean I will react to a couple of losses? NO .. it is the overall picture, I am on the fence regarding his ability in the longer term to get us above 12th and keep us there for a season or 2, go straight up great, come back down not so great, although £40m is a nice sweetner!
    Champs, last 5 years 15 teams promoted and 8 have come back down, on 3 of the occasions 2 of the 3 on 2 occasions 1 of the 3 , and 4 of the remainder were bottom 9 this season 12th to 14th, so going is less than half the battle.
    However of 15 lge 1 promotions only 3 have come back down! and 2 have progressed to prem PLUS Bournemouth... it will not be easy but then again odds of staying up are very good.., 12 of 15 that's half the league

20. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

This can't be reiterated enough. The board are taking the plaudits for the hard work done by a great League 1 manager. The Championship will be new territory for us, and will be where the board have to prove that they've got the clubs' best interests at heart by backing their manager with everything he needs for success.

Redprintt likes this.