1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The RIP Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Feb 3, 2016.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

So sad, but he has had a very poor quality of life for many years.... So sad for a giant of a man. A man of true principles and a truely great sportsman.

RIP

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

After the death of Ali...this will be swamped and lost....but have just found out one of my greatest musical heroes also died today. Dave Swarbrick, the fiddle player in Fairport Convention. He was the person whose innovation and musicianship gave me my first musical thrill. His work gave my a lifetime of music, he moulded my musical tastes, which last to today...my favourite folk instrument is the electric fiddle.
    RIP Swarbs you were the best

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    QPR Oslo and Stroller like this.
  3. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Very sad news & a legend in the boxing world, saw many of his fights on the box & a true champion, RIP.

4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

A musical hero of mine too Beth. This remains one my favourite albums of all time....

RIP

qprbeth likes this.
  5. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Ali hasn't been in the best of health for some years now, so maybe a happy release.
    The word legend is probably over used, but is fully justified in Ali's case.

6. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Anton Yelcin, russian-born actor who played Chekov in the new Star Trek movies has been killed in an accident at his home.

r.i.p

7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

He was run over by his own car apparently.

8. Chaz

Chaz Well-Known Member

Just 27 years old, with so much ahead of him. As a Trek fan, I really enjoyed the new movies, and he was very good.

RIP Anton

9. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

A very unfortunate freak accident it would appear. (I also have a rather steep driveway)

Star Trek's Anton Yelchin, 27, dead after accident on his driveway
    Actor was on his way to a rehearsal when the accident occurred on his driveway, police say
    By Zulekha Nathoo, CBC News Posted: Jun 19, 2016 2:58 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 19, 2016 10:03 PM ET

please log in to view this image

Anton Yelchin, seen here in 2015 at a screening in Los Angeles, died after his car rolled on top of him Sunday. (Richard Shotwell/The Associated Press)

Zulekha Nathoo
    Arts Reporter, L.A.

Anton Yelchin, who starred in the Star Trek reboot franchise, died Sunday in Los Angeles after being struck by his own car on the steep driveway of his home.
    The Los Angeles Police Department told CBC News that Yelchin was found pinned against a brick mailbox pillar and a security fence.
    "It appears he momentarily exited the car, leaving it in the driveway," said Jenny Houser, a public information officer with the LAPD. "He was behind the car at the time of the death."

Yelchin was on his way to a rehearsal when the accident happened. Friends found him after going to his Studio City home when he didn't show up after several hours.
    Co-stars are shocked at the news.
    Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the new Star Trek films, called Yelchin "one of the most open and intellectually curious people I have ever had the pleasure to know."

Others who knew him called the actor "such a talent" and a "sweetheart."

Yelchin played Chekov in the film Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013). He will also appear in Star Trek Beyond, set to be released next month.
    The Chekov in the first Star Trek series was played by Walter Koenig. Still acting, he is now 79.
    Born in Russia, Yelchin began acting in the 1990s, appearing in several television and film roles. His credits also include the Steven Spielberg miniseries Taken and Only Lovers Left Alive.
    Watch Yelchin's 2013 interview with CBC about Only Lovers Left Alive and how he chooses his roles below.

Anton Yelchin talks to CBC about Only Lovers Left Alive in 2013

"This is a preventable accident but it requires the vehicle operator to be aware of the mechanics involved.

An automatic transmission in Park is held only by a relatively small metal pawl that is pushed into notches on the transmission shaft to prevent it turning. On an incline, it can sheer off due to metal fatigue if it is continuously subjected to the weight of the vehicle with the pawl as the only means of stopping the vehicle.

Even the 'Park' pawl and the parking brake are not sufficient on really steep inclines. The parking brake is applied only to the rear brakes and if the rear brake pads are worn, the pads could slip, putting all the vehicle downslope weight on the pawl. The rear brakes are less likely to slip with disk brakes than with drum brakes but it's never a good idea on a steep slope to rely on either the brakes and/or the pawl.

Inexpensive rubber chocks are available that sit behind either the front or rear wheels, or all four. They may be stolen, however. The best alternative is to aim the front wheels so they will run into the sidewalk if one is available. I position mine on steep slopes so the front wheels are touching the sidewalk, stopping the vehicle before applying the Park lever and the parking brake.

Manual transmissions are another problem. You must leave the vehicle in gear then apply the parking brake. By leaving it in gear, the vehicle must overcome engine compression before it can move. Try pushing a car when it is in gear. On a steep slope, you need another strategy. Clutches/brakes slip and are not foolproof. Best to wedge the front wheels against a sidewalk or aim them into a wall or something solid.

The idea is to stop downhill momentum before it gets started." (Gordon Robertson)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/anton-yelchin-dead-accident-1.3642660#commentwrapper

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Horrible accident, but it's a fact that many North Americans never engage the handbrake, they think Park will always hold the car. I've been laughed at by colleagues for doing it the British way, which is force of habit anyway, especially when you are switching between stick and auto transmissions.

11. Kilburn

True indeed, many automatic vehicles here have a foot applied "handbrake" pedal, where the cable mechanism, if unused, will eventually seize up. This is required to be working for annual MVI here though, but not all mechanics enforce that rule. Last summer we upgraded from a 2000 model to a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan "people mover", an occupational hazard for the past 20 years with 5 kids. The last MVI mechanic was very thorough, and went by the inspection book, and the rear disc mini e-brake pads were not engaging. I needed a complete front & rear brake job (pads & rotors) anyway and he freed up the e-brake mechanism, at no extra cost without additional parts.

So really it is a case of "use it, or lose it".

12. Kilburn

Fiat Chrysler to investigate crash that killed Star Trek's Anton Yelchin
    Actor's car was a recalled 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Thomson Reuters Posted: Jun 20, 2016 12:33 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 20, 2016 12:56 PM ET

Anton Yelchin, seen here in 2015 at a screening in Los Angeles, died after his car rolled on top of him Sunday. (Richard Shotwell/The Associated Press)

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV said on Monday it would investigate a crash that killed Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin when he was struck by his recalled 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Yelchin was killed when the SUV rolled away and pinned him against a fence in Los Angeles, police said on Sunday.
    Fiat Chrysler in April recalled more than 1.1 million cars and SUVs worldwide because vehicles may roll away after drivers exit, an issue linked to 41 injuries.
    The company had told owners it hoped to come up with a "permanent" remedy by the fourth quarter.
    Fiat Chrysler spokesman Eric Mayne said the company would conduct a "thorough investigation" of the incident.
    "It is premature to speculate on its cause at this time," he added.

Young actor Anton Yelchin, 27, was killed by his own car as it rolled down his driveway early Sunday and pinned him against a brick mailbox pillar and a security fence at his home in Los Angeles, according to police. (Damian Dovarganes/Associated Press)

Found pinned against pillar, fence
    The Los Angeles Police Department told CBC News that Yelchin was found pinned against a brick mailbox pillar and a security fence. Russian-born Yelchin was on his way to a rehearsal when the accident happened. Friends found him after going to his Studio City home when he didn't show up after several hours.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/anton-yelchin-death-accident-1.3643587

13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

14. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

English football rip

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

Caroline Aherne lost her fight with cancer, so sad. Rest in Peace

16. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, she had some dark days. She combined brilliantly with Craig Cash and wrote some very funny stuff. A rare tslent

17. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Gifted with comic genius, but a troubled soul. Often seems to go with the territory. Sad news RIP <rose>

18. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I liked Caroline Aherne, my kind of humour ... RIP <rose>

20. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Caroline Aherne Comic genius RIP