1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Squad...Currently

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by homepark_hobo, May 31, 2011.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I read the second part of Stapleton's story today having missed it over the weekend. "Didn't know the extent of the debt" from an Accountant??????? Well he ain't a very good one is he. "Had no more money to put in" so goes on holiday to Millionaire's Row. Despite me being grateful for the promotion years and his Stewardship over that period I just cannot forgive the current mess. Imagine a ship's Captain using the excuse "I didn't see the rock so it wasn't my fault we hit it". Well that's ok then I will let you off any blame.......not. Apart from the overpaid few players we have left which will stretch the finances a tad, at least this league is not dependant on how much money the owners have and is a more level playing field. Actually when you think about it it is the Championship in reverse. Sides relegated into that one have a massive advantage but sides relegated to this one could have a massive disadvantage if they have players on longish contract and league one wages. That's quite novel in this day and age.

2. mouldyoldgoat

I just love the ignore button! Thanks for the tip Reid all about it. I read the little twonk's first post, then yours and went straight up to settings and he was gone. There is a real satisfaction seeing all his posts knowing that most of us are ignoring him.

3. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

Well I see the first by-product of the semi-permeable condom crawled his way over but ignore will sort the little problem out, why the hell 606 never sorted that out God knows. Pessimist head on

Le keeper
    N´gala (injured)
    Bhasera
    Fletcher
    Young
    Patterson
    Youth/loans/free agents

Optimistic head Messi upfront with Mason (thats if we can't entice Fallon back <laugh>)

4. Steelthunderballs

Steelthunderballs New Member

Crawley here we come lol

5. mouldyoldgoat

How about the mighty Tommy Tynan if Messi is busy?

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's gone on holiday mexijan and at the speed he moves is unlikely to get back for kick off so sadly will be missing upfront. Nah, we will be fine just as soon as we find out who we have and see them knock a few in on day one.

7. greenjock

greenjock Member

Well I've got the pace of Tynan and the English communication skills of Messi so I'm sat waiting for the phone to ring....

8. mouldyoldgoat

I would be no good, Sir Bob Charlton would beat me in a sprint!

9. mouldyoldgoat

All joking aside couldn't the club use Tynan as a coach for players like Mason and Patterson. The number of goals he scored in his Argyle days, I think he used every part of his body except his hands!

10. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

I love the 'ignore' function - so much less hassle than getting him banned over and over again.

11. mexijan

mexijan Active Member

He might help Mason but for Patterson I think Jesus would struggle to produce that big a miracle (come on Rory make me eat those words pleeease!!!) I never worked out how Tynan scored so many and unfortunately I think it was a mystery to him too!!!

12. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

Patterson needs to lose weight and gain skill, I'm afraid. League 2 may be his level, though.

13. greenjock

greenjock Member

Tynan just had this amazing knack of knowing where the ball was going. Bit like Micky Quinn, neither of them looked like athletes but you couldn't knock their goalscoring records. Not sure you can teach that to others, but I'm TT must have been approached by Argyle at some time over the years so he either doesn't want to or isn't coach material. I modelled myself on Micky Quinn and have this uncanny knack of knowing where pubs and chip shops are open. Do you think theres a coaching role for me?

14. mouldyoldgoat

Did you coach Micky Evans, greenjock?

15. greenjock

greenjock Member

I coached Trigger as a youngster but he was way too fast for me so I had to pass him onto a fitter coach. I believe his name was Rab C Nesbitt. I'm currently Phil "The Power" Taylor's fitness coach.

16. Michael71

Michael71 Member

Chenowth's been released btw
    and Arnason can play as a CB

One of the first signings has got to be a Left back I think.
    It will be interesting what happens

17. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think a left back and right back are priority for defence also a new winger and striker are needed. I think we need at least 6 new players to cover most areas (in case of injuries/fatigue).

Oh and a new keeper. Larrieu will not play forever and we need another to compete with him this season.

18. Westernmac

Westernmac Member

What's the maximum number of loan players in League 2? We will need some creativity in midfield and a good striker to work with Joe Mason. A spare keeper is obvious and at least two more defenders.

19. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Definately two strikers, one experienced. Goals can cover up a multitude of sins,the policy of scoring one more than the opposition has never failed yet.

A second goalkeeper would be useful.

Defence !!! we're not sure how many will be sold on at present.

One novel thing we could try and that is playing ninety minutes with eleven players, saves having totally knackered and injured players,just thought it might be a good thing to try.

In one word ( not noticed very often last season) DICIPLINE. Doesn't seem to be Reid's strong suite for his players,always a high foul count per match, generally more than the opponents.

Now that Fallon's gone that should improve.

One other thing that could improve our chances is, Referees you are allowed to give Plymouth a PENALTY now and again. Last time I looked there didn't seem to be a rule saying that under no circumstance could this not happen. Over a season most things even out, NO thats not so regarding Argyle receiving penalties, put it right Refs.

20. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think our greater worry is the cap on salary - we will not get many players in without the option to give wages.

I agree with your comments plymborn - also when was the last time a player from the opposition was sent off at home park? Not in the last two seasons at any rate. Despite some terrible challanges.