1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The state of the NHS...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Kempton, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

So you'll all have seen the stories in the news recently, that the a&e departments around the country are in a state of meltdown. Basically they are just not coping with the workload, and patients are waiting many hours to be seen at all, never mind treated.

Unfortunately, iv'e recently had cause to see this first hand, because Kempton Snr had to be admitted on Saturday. Three months ago,he was diagnosed with Parkinsons. He's lived on his own since the death of my mam, for the last fifteen years, and i now know, he's not been taking his medication correctly, which is very important.

Anyway, last Friday he had (another) fall, he fell from the top of his stairs,to the bottom. He lied there in a pool of blood, just inside his front door, for roughly fourteen hours, until a care worker turned up to sort his lunch. The carer called me so, off i went to dads.

When i arrived, he was laid there with his carer ( a wonderful girl ) crouched over him, his head on the bottom step, and clearly in a very uncomfortable position, there was no heating on,and i'm surprised he wasn't suffering hypothermia.

Of course the lass had called for an ambulance, but that had been an hour and a half before i even got there. It was a further half hour before even the quick response medic turned up, and he immediately radioed an ambulance crew. My sister and brother-in law, got there before that ambulance, and they came from Flaxton near York.

On to HRI then...

When we got there, we expected our dad to be there already, he wasn't, and we feared the worst, but eventually we found he was outside the a&e dept, still in the ambulance, because there was simply nowhere for them to put him. He wasn't the only one either. There were six ambulances in the same position, there was nowhere for the crew place their patients.

Now in reading this post so far, i would forgive anyone for thinking it was a damning condemnation against the incompetence of the our NHS staff.

Nothing could be further from the truth !

I can't stress enough, how much pressure our health workers are under, and how having spent time there over the last week. From nurses,to Doctors (real Doctors) ambulance staff, right down to the tea lady on my dads ward (she's just one of those wonderful,funny people who pushes her trolley around,making patients and visitors laugh, and just feel that little bit better), everyone i have come across, have been absolutely amazing people. They are beyond professional, and all go above and beyond the job description.

Fifteen hour shifts ? I overheard several staff complaining they hadn't had time to have their dinner, as they were on red alert or something.

My dad has a fracture to his neck, and another half way down his spine, he's wearing a sort of neck/body brace, and just to cheer him up, they fitted a catheter.

During last nights visit, he was kind of in and out of sleep,(the drugs and that). Then suddenly, he opens his eyes, and proclaims.... I might go to City on Satdee <ok>

2. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

Hope he's on the mend soon Kemps!!

I've spent a lot of time over the last 12 months within various NHS establishments & agree that in the main the chaps & chapesses on the shop floor are doing a splendid job under immense pressure.

Kempton likes this.
  3. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

2 of my daughters work for the NHS and yeah, its in a shocking state. Our local hospital is run by Circle, and tbh, its run much better than any NHS run one.

Imagine how much worse some illnesses would be for people too if it wasn't for local benefactors paying for stuff. Before anyone over reacts to that, its not just Dr Allam, a lot of hospitals rely on this type of generosity and imo it really shouldn't be needed.

****s me off that I've worked since I was 16, never been unemployed, always paid tax, and consecutive governments seem to find a way to **** over something I am very proud of, i.e. the NHS. It annoys me that Circle in the private sector can run something that should be run by Public Sector for the public sector, using largely the same staff, just changing the way the management board works.

In the meantime we have 2 ****s standing up in the Commons just arguing and name calling in a way that would be embarrassing even on this forum.

PLT and Kempton like this.
  4. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and hope your dad makes it to the game and gets better soon Kemps!

Kempton likes this.
  5. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

First best wishes to you and your family Kempton.

My dad was admitted to HRI A&E December 2013 with chest pains. He spent 4 hours on a trolley in corridor before they saw him. Another hour before he got a MRI scan on his chest. This is a person who nearly 5 years previous had major lung surgery. Lucky enough it was just bad chest infection.

It was heart breaking seeing all the staff basically ran into the ground working in a building site.

My mum is currently suffering with severe depression. My step dad has been trying to get help for months. She's seeing a psychiatrist every couple of months. But it's really not enough.

Kempton likes this.
  6. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

Hope your Dad is soon on the mend Kemps. I work at HRI. I love the place. A lot of good goes on there. Owt I can do just ask.

Casual again hope your Mum can get some more help and make a good recovery. I've a few friends suffered with depression. Horrid thing.

Kempton likes this.
  7. Kempton

Cheers Ben. As it happens, the day before my dad fell, i was visiting my closest friend in another local hospital, Castle Hill. He'd had a heart attack the previous day, and had a stent fitted. 2015 isn't going too well really.

8. Kempton

Thank you so much Charlie, i won't ask you for anything though, you will already be giving enough x

9. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

Can usually find a bit more if needed Kemps. Not a problem as patients come first.

Kempton likes this.
  10. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

It's still early in the year pal, plenty of time for it to improve. You may well have had all your yearly downers in the first couple of weeks. All good from here on!!

As with your dad I hope he's going to be OK. If it offers you any reassurance when I was in having my last op in Oct/Nov a few young 'uns (40+) were on the ward having had HAs & stents fitted. Their recovery was impressive most going home a couple of days after being admitted.

I had heart surgery at Castle Hill when I was 10, weirdly it looks like the surgery I had then may, indirectly, be the cause of my problems now & restricting what can be done to correct other problems.

Kempton likes this.

11. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Hope things pick up soon and 2015 starts to look a bit better Kemps.

My Mum and Sister were/are nurses. The whole profession are dedicated, hardworking, good people.

The type of people who make Britain great.

Like the NHS is an organisation which makes Britain great.

We must never lose it.

Kempton likes this.
  12. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Yeah my mother-in-law, who's always been more like my mam than my mam, was admitted to HRI last September, she was suffering cancer of both lungs and the bowel. She was initially in a ward on the ground floor, can't remember the name of it but it honestly resembled a cattle market. At visiting time it was heart breaking to see her, she was so ill that we really wanted her, and us whilst with her, to have some privacy, I enquired and was told, sympathetically, that there were no more beds.

Eventually she was admitted to Ward 80, in a room on her own, she only lasted a few days. In the early hours of the morning, on the day when we were hoping to be taking her home, she passed away.

Best wishes to you and your dad Kempton, and I hope he see's City play many more games ;)

Kempton likes this.
  13. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

good wishes to ur paw kempton
    but you're entirely right, the staff working for the NHS are absolutely wonderful, its not their fault

but the state of their shifts and workload, there's a big problem higher up

Kempton likes this.
  14. yerman

yerman Active Member

First of all Kemps. best wishes to you and your father, I am sure we all hope the best for him.

If it wasn't for the treatment I received for skin cancer at HRI I wouldn't be alive today.I have a history of tumours on my back 2 of which were malignant, I received first class treatment at Princess Royal.Under the last NHS re-organization I was told I would have to go to Scarborough hospital,(I live in Brid), I went for a checkup there and was told I was fine and I would receive no more routine checks-ups.Fortunately my wife went with me and said the doctor hadn't really examined me just given by back a cursory glance.She contacted our GP who arranged for me to attend a clinic at Preston Road, I was seen at 11.30 and at 1 o'clock the same day had a malignant tumour removed.After the op. I was told that because of cuts routine checks were being stopped, and I had to contact my GP if I had any about unusual moles.or other growths.I have since had 3 growths removed, fortunately they were benign.

All the staff I have met at HRI and Castle Hill when my wife had heart problems have been absolutely fantastic, we could not have had better treatment anywhere.IMO the front line staff are being badly let down by management and the clowns at Westminster.

I wish some politician would have the guts to propose a tax increase of just 1p. in the pound with a promise it would be spent on increasing front line staffing and giving them better pay and conditions.The cynic in me can't help thinking any if tax were to be raised it would end up in the pockets of senior managers and government quangos.

Kempton and HHH like this.
  15. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Ive come in pissed up and read this. Pull yourself together kempes you big puff theres tears in your eyes

16. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

Hugs to your dad Kempton...Hope he gets home soon and you get to a game.

HRI I wouldn't go in there for treatment if you paid me but part of that is that place spooks me just looking at it. Its not a pop at staff Charlie...it's me I am useless at hospital stuff..

The cancer wards at castle hill are great and I love all who work there .

Iv noticed the Macmillan unit in Scarborough has had to use nurses hired in quite a bit lately when it was always the same nurses every time I go..

Still they are great but very much over worked
    Could be a lot to do with a big increase in form filling .

They get offered a 1% ****ing pay rise !

Nurses deserve double what they get paid in my opinion. in fact triple pay.

All the best Kempton and family .
    Hope to meet you at the footy one day .

Kempton likes this.
  17. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

completely inappropriate
    no surprise from chaz the **** though

18. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

agreed

19. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Best wishes to your old man Kemps, hope he makes a full recovery. <ok>

Kempton likes this.
  20. HGS66

HGS66 Well-Known Member

May have met you on Friday in A&E and can only say likewise that we can't praise the NHS staff enough.

My wife was rushed to A&E at HRI about 4pm on Friday with a suspected stroke after her speech and reactions went very strange. After a CT scan, they said she had a shadow on her brain, which is not a tumour, but is in the area controlling speech. After an MRI scan had been taken and analysed, plus an slight improvement in her speech and memory, she left hospital on Monday and is awaiting a follow-up MRI scan in 6 weeks, with another Neurology consultation after that, so it’s a wait and see period for her.

As avid Hull City supporters, I joked it was the excitement of us seeing them score and win at the KC on New Year's Day that tipped her over the edge, nothing to do with the drinking over the festivities.

I’d to thank all the staff at HRI who looked after her so well (A&E, AAU, Ward 1, Departure Lounge and Pharmacy, including all the support staff, cleaners etc.) and the Ambulance responder (Ian) who arrived at my Daughter’s house in Beverley whilst my son-in-law was still making the short emergency call, plus the Ambulance staff who rushed her in with full blue's and two's. We were met in A&E by the stroke nurse at the door – no hold-ups despite the major incidents reported everywhere, which affected the hospital the next day.

Hope your Dad improves, as my wife appears to be doing also and gets to a game soon.