1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The 'Stephen Hawking is an overrated fool' thread...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Bengals Tiger, Feb 1, 2016.

1. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Suppose it's marginally better than calling him a fool.
    You don't seem to like popularisers of science & technology. They are major drivers of future funding. Always have been.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  2. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

Brian cox just shouts big numbers and barely explains anything past junior school level science , no offence to ppl who find him interesting but his target audience is the same audience that watch big bruv n all that

Bengals Tiger likes this.
  3. tigerscanada

Perhaps your first statement has merit (e.g. RI Christmas lectures), but higher than junior school level surely. Yet he is likely interesting young uns who may in the future choose a career path in his (scientific) field as opposed to many of the other useless avenues out there. Likewise older folk who never had any exposure to such stuff. Doubtful "Big Bruv" aficionados ever get close to watching his presentations...they are already beyond repair.
    He does, as in the program I mentioned was on BBC4 tonight, present a lot of outstanding questions for people to think about. Much more depth & you'd be talking about a 4X1hour series." One small step for man.." and all that.

4. Bengals Tiger

Bengals Tiger Well-Known Member

Your 1, 2, 3 above are pretty silly, particularly your 99.1% estimate. It's waaay too low for the universe we live in.
    Your Dark Matter "without proof" statement actually made me laugh. Remove the notion of an Expanding Universe, and the concept of Dark Matter immediately disappears. Are you confusing 'it' with Antimatter?
    Those arguments would not lead anywhere, so from my P.O.V., I'll leave it there ... unless you want to pursue it separately from this thread.
    The scientific community as a whole ..." is a gross distortion of the truth. I am on first-name terms and in frequent contact with an 'almost infinite' number of highly qualified and highly recognized scientists and engineers throughout the world. Very few of them, if any, believe much, if any, of this nonsense. Like myself, their general reaction is to roll their eyes when any of these topics is broached.
    The pseudo-scientists form a very small percentage of the overall global community of scientists and engineers. BUT unfortunately they are consistently awarded a totally disproportionate fraction of the available R & D funding, by politicians who have absolutely no idea what it is they are actually funding. It just sounds so sexy.
    Propellant
    -less propulsion is just one example of a much more worthy R & D cause. The late, great, Professor Sir Eric Laithwaite was one of the earliest proponents in this field. As the inventor of the (super-train-driving) linear induction motor, he was a highly reputable, globally lauded British engineering professor. But guess what? As soon as he started to talk publicly about his revolutionary ideas, he was pilloried by a small but powerful caucus of groups with their own vested interests to defend at all costs. Decades later, most of his key ideas have been vindicated and extended by research teams at some of the most influential global industrial organisations. Much of this work is very highly classified, for obvious reasons.

5. tigerscanada

So bullshit & name-dropping pays better than teaching. Not pseudo-science.
    Tapping into a football forum seems a rather unusual avenue for recruiting supporters. "Priceless", as the arrogant ad suggests.

6. WhittlingStick

Infinite possibilities also translated to the theory that it is perfectly acceptable that a person can in one instance ,if tried enough to times , walk through a wall unhindered. Tho iirc this boils down to another theory that an electron can be anywhere and everywhere (this is only because to measure its position is to influence /alter its position ) bla bla bla a problem with theories

7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

But isn't that combining two distinct infinites? One being infinite size, the other being infinite possibilities.

Can't something infinitely large, just contain nothing, or an infinite repetition of the same thing(s)?

8. x

x Well-Known Member

but if he hooks people in, they know where to find more depth.

9. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

But we know the universe is expanding. Dark matter makes perfect sense, there's no need to be so patronising, I might not be a professional scientist like yourself, but I probably know way more than you think I do.

10. WhittlingStick

i wasn't criticising him , or calling him a fool ;) Its just that he is a bit of a tease , aside from the New Years BBC Lectures theres nothing on telly that would sit out of place in a 12yr old homework.

11. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading your comments on here a lot more than that patronising berks Sterling, don't forget he 'won' this thread by claiming Stephen Hawking to be a fool

Steven Toast likes this.
  12. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Anti matter ???
    I say Does it Matter

13. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

So on the gravitational waves discovery...is this the first time we've actually 'seen' gravity? That is beyond obviously all the effects of gravity that have been seen in relation to theories that have been around for a few hundred years. Gravity has still been quite a mysterious thing which we still don't know everything about as I understand it.

14. Steven Toast

Thanks pal, I think it's that the things I have postulated are hypotheses and therefore are out there to be proven wrong or right, but he's come out and said 'definitely not' to most of it. Hardly scientific thought processes.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  15. Steven Toast

Kind of, it's the first time we have seen it act as a wave.

16. Real ale tiger

Real ale tiger Well-Known Member

quite enjoyed this thread myself.i am very interested in physics but admittedly i am limited by what i can take in.bengals tiger has contributed to that he obviously has strong beliefs.i wish other posters wouldnt gang up and slag people off.it makes this board very cliquish and shows lack of tolerance.and after all it is a forum.it just makes them wum..
    end of moan and if you have read this bengals i hope you have recovered well from your surgery

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    DMD likes this.
  17. Bengals Tiger

Thanks. I'll be getting the biopsy results on Wednesday. So far, I feel fine.

Real ale tiger likes this.
  18. Real ale tiger

Real ale tiger Well-Known Member

good luck.fingers crossed for you

Edelman likes this.
  19. FILEYseadog

FILEYseadog Well-Known Member

Hes the only one i sort of understand when going on about science stuff.

I NEVER watch BB ya cheeky git

:)

WhittlingStick likes this.
  20. Bengals Tiger

Which of the words I've used would you describe as made up?