1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The TT annual prediction post that gets trolled to death

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ToledoTrumpton, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

So here it is, the annual ray of optimism shining on a sea of bleak negativity.

I’m not going to predict the whole table, firstly because there isn’t much point, it is bound to be wrong, and secondly no one here is much interested in the bottom half.

So here goes:

6.Chelsea I’m predicting a hangover for the Champions, which is becoming a more familiar refrain these days. They now have Champions League Football, they are going to face a difficult schedule, and their superstars have proved vulnerable to resting on their laurels in the past.

To face that schedule they have a pretty thin squad, Morata and Bakayoko are decent signings, but Bakayoko can be injury prone and has temperament issues, and Morata didn’t score that many for Juventus before he returned to Real Madrid to pad his stats against the minnows of Spain. I’m just not certain that they are going to replace Costa between them.

They also deservedly lost to a terrible team like Arsenal in the FA Cup final, so I can't see how anyone could possibly pick them to ever win again.

5.Spurs Well it is all about the move to Wembley. Their home form was their strength last year and everyone is pointing out how bad they are at Wembley. They can’t afford new players and they have Champions league to worry about again. It could be even worse and they could end up mid table, but they do have a solid team and the manager seems good.

They are going to be very susceptible to injury so if a couple of key players go down on long term injuries, it could be a serious problem.

4. Liverpool A lot of people have these guys out of the top 4 but I think they will scrape in. They haven’t been very active in the transfer market so far and I still think they are missing pieces through the entire team.

Champions League football is a mixed blessing, and they rely heavily on a few individuals, so if they get tired, lose form, or get injured they are going to be a lot weaker.

I really don’t like their defense and Their attack is missing a real focal point. But I think they will do better than some people think. However, I don’t think they will have a serious challenge in them.

3. Man City Most people’s pick for the title, I remain unconvinced that the Guardiola philosophy will work for a top club in England. The high-press, play the ball out from the back, works well in Spain or Germany, but in England there are too many Leicester’s for whom that tactic is a gift. They are going to lose games, like the FA Cup semi-final where they do most things right, deserve to win, but still lose. As Arsenal fans we know this situation. For me City are the new Arsenal. Wenger has moved on tactically, but I'm sure Guardiola has not.

The Aguero-Toure-Kompany spine is older, more injury prone and not what it once was, and their new signings are going to take a year to settle. I am just not convinced that Guardiola and England are a match.

2. Man Utd Most other people’s pick for the top, I think they will do well but I am not certain Lukaku and Matic are quite as good as their press. Lukaku is a solid goal every other game guy, when he is in a team without any other goal-scorers, and 19 goals, although good, is not necessarily going to win you a title. And they need a LOT more goals.

I still think their defense is a problem. They were stingy last year but that was with the midfield protecting them and not attacking. If they commit players forward, as they will have to (they need a massive 30 more goals to get near Chelsea's total last year) then how will those defenders fare?

I think Mourhino’s tactics are a waning force. They worked in the past with the outstanding teams he assembled, but I don’t think he has the players at United and I don’t think Matic at 29, is someone to build the team around.

1. Arsenal Most people’s pick to miss out on the top 4, it seems most people are trying to think of reasons why Arsenal can’t win, rather than reason’s why they can.

Not having CL football is a big boost and the squad which everyone is referring to as bloated, is going to be great for handling those troublesome Europa league, League Cup and early FA cup games, as well as covering for injuries.

We got 2 great signings and it seems like we held on to all the big players. Chambers is top class as a CB in a back 3, he was never a great RB. I think the entire squad genuinely think they can win the premiership this year. I think Ozil and Sanchez are thinking they can walk it, and then cash in next year. That is why no one is trying to leave.

For the first time Arsenal have at least 2 solid players in every position, most of whom would be first team for any other club. What is going to happen at the end of the season may well be a train-wreck, but this season could be spectacular.

Essentially, if we get 10 goals more and let in 10 goals less, Arsenal will be as dominant as Chelsea were last year. I think we have the team, and the schedule, to easily do that.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Some solid gems in there I'll give you that.

We have two solid players for every position? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Matic is 31?<doh>

Chambers is a top class CB in a back three? <laugh>

City's signings will take a year to bed in but we have 'two great signings'? <confused>

3. ToledoTrumpton

oops 29- thanks - I thought I looked it up - must be those dodgy Serbian birth certificates, but the point still stands 29 is not on the way up.

4. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Don't do drugs kids

PleaseNotPoll and BobbyD like this.
  5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

If you believe what you say then i have to admire your optimism <ok>

BobbyD, PINKIE and ToledoTrumpton like this.
  6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hmm I like the optimism TT. To be honest this board is normally uber negative so its nice change.

I would go...

6.Man Utd
    5.Spurs
    4.Arsenal
    3.Liverpool
    2.Chelsea
    1.City

I think Spurs,Liverpool and Arsenal are pretty much inter-changeable.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Can't see Chelsea finishing 6th. I'd have them either 1st or 2nd with City.

My prediction would be:

1. Chelsea
    2. City
    3. Utd
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool

8. ToledoTrumpton

I don't think it is completely impossible that Conte, Mourinho, Klopp, and Gaurdiola are all fired by Christmas. I think we might be headed for the most open Premier league season we have ever seen. Really there is a lot of hype but quite frankly no one is very good.

9. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

The only way Mourinho or Klopp get sacked half way through the season is if they're literally fighting relegation

10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

keep the comedy coming toledo.

So basically, Arsenal are going to be massively ahead of all of Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, and Man City for them all to be fired (presumably they won't be fired if they are in the title race).

My favourite part was "For me City are the new Arsenal. Wenger has moved on tactically, but I'm sure Guardiola has not."

Just because he's changed to 3-4-3 doesn't mean hes moved on tactically

11. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

Not impossible just dulusional

12. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

1 Chelsea
    2 Man United
    3 Man City
    4 Arsenal
    5 Spurs
    6 West ham
    7 Liverpool
    8 Everton

13. ToledoTrumpton

I didn't say it was likely, just that it wasn't impossible.

Mourinho was 30 goals short of Chelsea's total last year. That is not what United fans come to see. No only are they not winning anything, they are boring.
    Guardiola turned a team that won their first 10 games, into a team who went without a win in 6 games at the tail end of the season, if his signings don't pan out, he will not have much of an argument.
    Klopp hasn't exactly set the league alight either, and if he looks like he is headed to mid-table or Everton look like they are becoming the main team in Liverpool, who knows. I'd agree he is the least likely for the chop.
    Conte obviously isn't going to get any rope from Abramovich.

I honestly don't think the other clubs are looking very special right now. Chances are, at least one of them will surprise me, we are Arsenal, but you never know. You can be sure though that if Arsenal do win by 20 points and the other big teams flop, we will hear that Arsenal only won, because everyone else was ****e.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    PINKIE and gooner4ever like this.
  14. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I do agree with you in that there is no one particularly outstanding in the league, realistically 6 teams could win it. I don't think there is a massive gap between us and the rest, but it's the consistency and our ability to limit damage when we go into a dip.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  15. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Watch out for Everton - there's a quiet revolution going on

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Good shout on Everton. They struggled a bit last season, but Koeman is building a good team at Everton. They've signed Rooney who I think will be rejuvenated with that move. They are also on the brink of signing Sigurdsson. They will definitely be challenging for the European spots.

I can honestly see Liverpool struggling this season. They've signed Salah, who is nothing special and if they lose Coutinho they will be in trouble. Also their defence was worse than ours at times last season and missing out on VVD is a big issue for them. Also Klopp looks like he's always one game away from a meltdown.

17. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I changed my mind actually. I do think Chelsea will struggle.

I've said before I think Costa is a big loss and I dont believe Morata will do much in the EPL.

Also looking at their squad list, its actually very thin. A few injuries and they are ****ed.

For that reason I will go..

6. Spurs
    5.United
    4. Chelsea
    3.Liverpool
    2.Arsenal
    1. City

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  18. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Imo I think Spurs will struggle playing at Wembley as the visitors will make it their "cup final" and raise their game.

Also the dimensions of the pitch mean it's a vast area to press the opposition like they did last season and also very tiring on the legs. Look how tired teams are when they play at Wembley on a one-off game, so playing 19 home PL games and 4 CL (before they go out early) is going to wear out some players so they will need to rotate but don't have the depth of squad to do so.

Chelsea are a strange club, they win the League then seem to want to have a civil war. Again they don't seem to have a big enough squad for PL and CL, so could struggle and wouldn't be surprised to see Conte sacked as it seems to be their way!

Liverpool may lose their best player and wont have enough time is this window to replace like for like - or may go on a panic buying spree and get a duffer.

City seem to spent a lot of money on LBsand RBs but their problem area to me is CB. Will they chase CL at cost of PL.

United have also spent loads again and a lot rests on them getting the ball up to Lukaku and for him to score. Not sure about them, may struggle to compete in PL and CL so depends on what Jose states is their priority.

Arsenal - new signings and keeping Sanchez could be the key to a good start which may surprise many. AW will no doubt play fringe players in Cups and Europa to keep team rotatated and fresh for PL.

Honestly don't know where we will finish. If all or some of the above does happen then we could figure near the top, but equally we could finish 5th. Probably will finish 4th :)

So

1 City
    2 Arsenal
    3 United
    4 Liverpool
    5 Chelsea
    6 Spurs

19. winifred122

I think that Everton may nick a top 6 place and, to be frank, the vulnerable teams are us, spuds and the other scouse lot

20. winifred122