1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread The Wait Is Over Chairboys v Minstermen 8th August

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Really, as Thompson has been wing more I would have thought one of the others would have been more central.

How did the others play? Any chane of a bit of analysis and marks out of ten?

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Owen 10/10

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here's one I nicked from FB. I'm sure Daniel won't mind <whistle>

upload_2015-8-9_23-4-22.png

4. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

My personal thoughts / ramblings are as follows:
    The back four looked solid as we would probably expect. Not sure that Stewart is quite as accomplished in the air as Pierre or Mawson was as he was second to a few defensive headers. Sido came back well after what looked like a very dodgy pre season game at Aldershot. Defensively he was excellent, but going forward a bit wasteful.
    For me this was probably the best I have seen Bean play. Good intensity and first to the challenge. He broke play up well and gave his all. SamMy Wood and O'Nien both had decent games.
    Out of the front 3 I have to highlight Thompsons contribution. The guy chased absolutely everything and had an excellent game.

In summary our first to the ball, high tempo style just over ran York. I can see McGinn when fully fit slotting in that midfield and really dictating play. And we had options on the bench to change the style of needed, with the pace of Banton or the holding options of Rowe etc.
    Not a classic game of flair on Saturday, but the new lads showed they have embraced the Ainsworth philosophy and that could keep us well into the top half in this league

5. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

On Saturday the lads put in a comfortable performance against a poor York side that threatened little on what was a very hot afternoon. Marcus Bean was outstanding, Thompson looks a handful, O'Nien lively Sido needed game time as he missed the last three months of last season as does Stewart who has played little football over the last fifteen months and I think with a couple of loanees over the corse of the season we should be able to make the play-offs with a little luck on the injury front

6. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

Cheers boys, sounds like a good solid display for an opener with lots of positives to take. Here's hoping for a good season.

7. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

I would generally say the team looks strong, and the bench looks even stronger than last year - I wont go overboard but it was an excellent performance against a pretty poor York side

Ingram 6 - Nothing to do
    Jombati 6 - not his best showing but good to have him back
    Pierre 8 - my MOTM, commanding the defence as ever and will be a key player
    Stewart 7 - Slipped a little and didn't look quite as good as aaron, but pleased to see him back and a well taken goal
    Jacobson 7 - solid as ever, set pieces could have been a little better

Onien 7 - started well, faded in the second half but good going forward and could prove dangerous
    Bean 8 - his best game in midfield for us, broke up play well and distribution much better
    Wood 6 - didn't quite come off for him, but tireless as ever

Holloway 6 - pretty anonymous for much of the game but looked dangerous when he did get the ball and a well taken goal
    Thompson 7.5 - Works very hard, put himself about, reminds me a lot of steven craig but hopefully with more goals in him
    Hayes 7 - Commanding display, llinks up play well, much the same as last season really

Gaz got the team selection spot on, but I was surprised not to see subs earlier with Tuesday in mind