1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

Depends who's behind you.

<sorry>

2. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

You're thinking of the thru'penny stands !

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I once did a photo shoot with a male and female model at Millwall (the only club in London that would let us do a shoot without charging us), half way through some blokes came out with rifles and started shooting all the pigeons. The girl modelling started crying and refused to carry on until they stopped, my joke about me paying her to come on a 'shoot' did nothing to help.

Kempton likes this.
  4. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Surprised she didn't grouse about it.

5. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Mental <laugh>

6. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Well, she obviously didn't find it very pheasant.

7. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

My dear departed dad had a habit of losing his chewing gum into the hood of the woman in front of him when we scored. She still mentions it today.<rose>

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Poor girl in front of me has ended up with a few bits of wayward pie crust in her hood.

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The funniest bit of the day, was when we stopped in a rather dodgy greasy spoon just outside the New Den and the very camp stylist ordered a skinny latte and a pan au chocolat.

The bloke said 'we do coffee or tee and the rolls are either bacon or sausage, or we can do you an egg if you're one of them gay vegetarians'.

Sir Cheshire Ben and Kempton like this.
  10. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Before I was around, me Dad sometimes took his Mam to games. Now this is FACT! Gran used to have a couple of bricks in her bag. The original City Psycho? She was a bit of rough old girl, but no, the bricks were to stand on, so she could see <laugh>

11. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Hope his teeth weren't still stuck to the gum <laugh> (sorry :biggrin:)

12. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

On one of our many trips to the capital in the 60's we actually ventured down Carnaby St and to be honest we were the odd ones out with our attire as everyone else was dressed up in bell bottoms, flares call them what you will and feathers ffs.

13. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

14. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Not sure if this has been posted before...

15. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

16. Steve Porter

Steve Porter New Member

Those who follow this thread may be able to help me. I write the giant killers website and am currently writing the story of Hull's defeat of Manchester United at Old Trafford in January 1952. It is proving to be one of the most difficult games that I've ever researched with almost no reporting in my usual sources. As someone who lives a considerable distance from Hull, visiting the Hull central library where the Hull Daily Mail is stored on microfilm is not an option. So Hull fans. Do any of you have any anecdotal knowledge of this game? Better still, I have a copy of the Hull City vs Bury match programme for anyone willing to give up half an hour of their time to visit the Hull library to seek newspaper reports from the Hull Mail from Saturday January 12th to Monday January 14th 1952.

17. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

12th Jan 1952
    FA Cup Round 3
    Manchester United v Hull City
    Old Trafford
    Attendance; 43,517

Final Score; 0-2
    Hull City Scorers; Kenneth Harrison, Sydney Gerrie
    Hull City Team:
    T. Berry, E. Burbanks, H. Carter, D. Durham, S. Gerrie, W. Harris, K. Harrison, W. Hassall, V. Jensen, J. Robinson, P. Todd

I don't have anything else other than the City background which revolved around our talismanic Player/ Manager Horatio (Raich) Carter who's shock resignation on the 5th September 1951 was the prelude to a dramatic down-turn in results for the club.
    In early December 1951 delicate negotiations resulted in the return of Carter in a player only capacity and the decision had an immediate positive effect on results.

The FA Cup game against Manchester United (who finished the season as Division 1 Champions) came when City's fortunes were well and truly revived. It was a glorious result for the club in a difficult season, but possibly not a complete surprise when you consider that many of the players in that squad are now rightly remembered as Hull City legends.

Kempton likes this.
  18. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

I went to that game with my dad and for many years kept the Saturday green Hull Sports Mail which covered the match in great detail( by' Three Crowns'). I understand that the archive of this very popular Saturday paper is no longer available but I know CanadaTiger on this forum does have some old copies, so he may be able to help.

Probably would be useful to research the Manchester and Sunday popular press as it was a major shock - Man Utd were 2nd in Div 1 and we were 2nd bottom of Div 2 when the match was played.

Steve Porter likes this.
  19. Steve Porter

Steve Porter New Member

Many thanks for your replies so far. Admittedly I have the score, attendence, team details but thanks for the confrmation of those all the same. That match report in the Saturday green would be exactly the type of thing I would want to add some meat to the bones of the tie. I'm quite excited to hear that you were at the game would be keen to know your recollections of the day or the journey to and from Manchester. My normal sources for match details are my local newspaper library but the regionals across Britain are only available up to December 1951 and a researcher in both Hull and Manchester [the Guardian being regarded as a regional for some daft reason] both ask for £15 up front. Here's an image from the game as United pressed late on to try and get back in the tie.

Attached Files:

20. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

There was always a write up of the Saturday game in the Monday Hull DM(again by 'Three Crowns'). We buy 2 season tickets for relatives in Hull so if nobody takes up your request in the next week or so to visit the Hull library, I will ask them to do the search.

Steve Porter likes this.