1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tigers' history

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Craigo, Nov 3, 2011.

1. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

That's not the Boulevard.

2. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

3. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like the Boulevard to me from many clips of it back in the early 1900's. My grandad went there from the first match in 1904- he wore a bowler hat and a silver tiepin. Today I have the tiepin as the eldest surviving male in his family but have never worn a bowler hat!

4. tigerscanada

Wise mo:emoticon-0100-smileve Mr B_M_B...

Edit: Mods, please delete this post....it'll clutter the subject matter being off topic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  5. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...he-wheels-in-motion-for-a-bike-club-1-8034185

6. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

A few of us on here were at this event in 1946 marking City's first match there against Lincoln City.
    Memories for me were the single stand and a guy on a white horse leading out the teams.
    Also I remember having gloves, scarf and rattle in black and amber and the team came out in blue and white!

I was at the match in 1950 with the biggest score at the ground Hull City 8 - Nuneaton 6.

Massive disappointments for me was not getting a ticket for the Man U. FA Cup match in 1949(first home match I had missed since the opening day) and after planning to come for the last match against Darlington, being thwarted by illness.

So many wonderful memories though.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Certainly some fond memories of BP ... I had to stand on a shoe shine box my dad took with us to see over the railings.

londontiger likes this.
  8. tigerscanada

Great memories for you Mr B_M_B.
    You might think about copying it to the History thread so that it doesn't get lost...just a thought.
    Biggest score I saw at B.P. was City 9 Oldham 0 ( I think, or was it 8-0 ?), sometime in the very late 50's. Think Bill Bradbury had a hattrick & Brian Bulless got a couple.

9. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

It was 9-0 in 1957.

Highest number of goals ever scored by Hull City was at Anlaby Road in Jan 1939 - 11 against Carlisle. Canada Tiger was born the previous day! Coincidentally my 8th birthday followed the BP opening day.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    tigerscanada likes this.
  10. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

I was at that thrashing of Oldham too TC but missed the Carlisle record BMB...understandable as I was one day old...born on Friday 13th 1939. Spent many happy Saturdays in the Well at the old BP!!

tigerscanada likes this.

11. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Sorry CT. I have edited the post. My wife would never have got that wrong!

12. Qatartiger Cambridgetiger

Qatartiger Cambridgetiger Well-Known Member

Great stuff you two ... I feel nowt but a lad now ... born in 1959 lol But I remember every game I went to my heart fluttered and I never ever anticipated us or imagined us getting beat although we did many times. I loved watching the keepers more than anything how they positioned themselves etc One of my highlights was seeing Gordon Banks playing against us for Stoke in the FA cup. One of my hero's and still is. Ian McKechnie being the first City keeper I remember (my favourite City player) None of this really compares to you guys but fond memories all the same.

philhul, tigerscanada and CANADATIGER like this.
  13. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

great post

i can't even comprehend it as i was born 50 years later! Not that i am trying to make you feel old!

14. heckmondwiketiger

heckmondwiketiger New Member

Your post made me dig out the programme for that match, given to me by my father-in-law who was there. Team- Bly, Watson, Means, Montgomery, Brown, Greenhalgh, Smith, Sheen, Bell, Knott, Koffman. Referee BJ Flanagan. A message from the chairman Harold Needler, a piece from the President, Kenneth Percival Esq. and a short message from Major Frank Buckley. Adverts for Carmichaels, Hull Brewery, Streffords of Paragon Street Arcade and others. Final page is from the Hull City AFC Supporters Club's honorary secretary. All for the princely sum of 6d, with the promise inside that this was a one off and normal programmes would be 3d.

15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I was at the game also, always remember Bradbury having continental boots as we called them, with a tan overlayed on the toe area of the boot.

please log in to view this image

16. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Thanks for that. Had the programme until I left home in Hull in 1959 when it disappeared! I blame my sister who is a Hull FC supporter.

17. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Hull City AFC are 112 years old and we spent 56 years of it at BP, just half our history and the least successful half as well.

18. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

How much success Dodgers we have in the 41 years before we moved to BP in comparison?

19. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Slightly better than BP, top Div 2 side, finished 3rd in 1910, won Div 3N title in 1933, got to an FA Cup Semi Final taking Arsenal to replay.

Only think BP wins on is attendances, floodlights and occasional atmosphere.

20. Yardley Tiger

Yardley Tiger Active Member

Happy Aniversary BP. Great posts by BMB and others. I am sure I was there but how you all remember such details is beyond me. I envy your being able to recollect such details. When someone mentions a player such as Bill Bradbury I say inwardly "Ah yes, remember him". I put it down to my engineering training that makes me instantly forget everything because I know I can look it up somewhere. Or is it senility!

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.