1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Time To End The Curse Chairboys v Grecians Tuesday 14th April

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Apr 14, 2015.

1. ChairboyTom

ChairboyTom Member

Hayes penalty:

Guywanderer likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fantastic. Cheers Tom <cheers>

3. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

Well that was one way to end the curse in style! My heartrate has just returned to normal!
    It was vey much a game of two halfs, the first Wycombe dominated and should have scored more (how did hayes miss that one in the first minute although all is now forgiven!).
    The second however was far more interesting. Exeter had much more of the ball but didn't create too many chances until they scored.... Then after that the game just opened up! Pierre had a good chance with a header, craig had to be a bit stonger and should have been one on one, saunders missed a sitter and ingram pulled off a simply world class save to stop Exeter winning it, all before that winner from one of the daftest penalties you will ever see a defender concede! Huge credit to hayes for being able to take the pressure of that crucial penalty, and hopefully break many hearts in bury and southend.

My only worry is the amount of injurys - Holloway and McClure both went off injured, yannaris was down for a worrying long time and mawson was definatly struggling all night. But what a result and what a moment for hayes and everyone in that stadium

Further proof why you shouldn't leave a match early!

Ron and Guywanderer like this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

5. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

I wish I had gone and forgot about the 5am start as with the racing heart and it must have been a warm night as I hardly slept anyway if I had got home about 11pm after watching the game maybe I'd got to sleep about midnight and had 5 hour

6. Bicester Blue

Bicester Blue Member

As Hayes ran up to take the penalty the silence was deafening. Unless there is something very dramatic in the last 3 games if they finish in the top 3 that will be the game that is remembered in 5-10 years time.

7. ChairboyTom

ChairboyTom Member

Highlights, for anyone that hasn't seen them yet:

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The only things that could '[;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;76666666666666666666666

(that was one of the cats.) match that for a near heart attack are:
    1. We need to win against Northampton to go up and score in the last minute
    2. We get the winner in the last minute in the play off final

9. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Cheers Tom, there's only one word to describe the highlights - Joyous! :emoticon-0148-yes: <party>

10. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

I must admit when Exeter equalised I went to bed expecting to have drawn or lost when I turned SSN on this morning & it was 2-1 bought a paper & it said the 90th min then texed my son to say we got away with that he texted back to say it was 101mins I thought he had his fingers muddled up. What a way to end the hoodoo

11. Bicester Blue

Bicester Blue Member

Still going over Tuesday's game in my head, prompted the following

1. Last minute penalties have netted 5 points.
    Hayes against Exeter gains 2 points, Hylton firing into the Kassam Car Park saves 2 points and Matt Ingram's save against Stevenage saved a point.

2. Apart from those late penalties there has been a lack of late drama this season. I can't think of a single match where we've dropped points in the last 10 minutes and only two when we've won points (Holloway's very late equaliser against Northampton, and Tuesday). We've been very good at holding on to narrow leads but haven't pulled much out of the fire late on.

3. Given the teams we are competing with this season there are some links back to the last promotion in 2011. Wins against Bury and Southend in the final two matches of that season meant we just pipped Shrewsbury to third.

12. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

the more obvious link for me is to 2009 when it was us versus bury for promotion with an almost identical goal difference. If we lose a game and bury draw one, us and bury will finish on the same total with a very similar goal difference......