1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic To become a gentleman of leisure ?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by NorthFerribyTiger, Jan 24, 2015.

1. NorthFerribyTiger

NorthFerribyTiger Well-Known Member

I've just had a a welfare visit from one of my bosses to see how I'm doing after my back surgery & have been made an offer which I'm not sure about .

In light of the fact my job means driving thousands of miles a month, I was asked if that job may have a negative impact on my health ....

They suggested that if I felt it was in my best interests that they could offer me two alternatives if I decided I did not want to return to work, the first being ill health retirement with enhanced contributions toward my pension.....but they agreed that could negatively impact on any other job I may wish to go after.

The second option was enhanced early retirement, but I do not qualify for another 9 months, however as I'm likely to remain off work for another 7 weeks they have offered me a 7 month rehabilitation period (on full pay) taking me up to the point where I qualify for early retirement.

I can of course choose to return to my job (which I enjoy very much) as soon as I am fit to do so.

There would of course be a financial hit if I choose to retire, but there is a substantial lump sum payment & I have no mortgage etc so can afford to go. I have also been offered ad hoc consultative work after retirement if I'm interested.

What would you do ?

2. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Option 2. Take the money. You dont have to tell prospective future employers it was ill health retirement. Just say you took early retirement.

3. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

2nd option looks good to me! Life's very short and I've seen plenty of people retire with what they think is a nice pot of money but haven't lived long enough to enjoy it! If it suits you to go then go. ( and enjoy )

4. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

I've no idea whether it would help in your case Ferriby but I'm a great user of this back gadget:

5. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Carry on working if you enjoy your job. You'll get bored ****less sat on your arse all day.

6. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

This. Being retired is no reason to sit on your arse either.

Take the money and relax getting well. Can always think about work in a year or so.

7. NorthFerribyTiger

Well the consultative work would be a nice bonus if I decided to retire as I would get paid almost double what I do now for the occasions when I work for them. I could also afford a new Kawasaki H2 without dipping into my savings :emoticon-0103-cool:

8. NorthFerribyTiger

Apart from the last 5 weeks I've not been one to sit on my arse....I enjoy cycling, walking, gardening & riding motorcycles (quickly) so could do more of all of these as well as possibly rekindling my love of photography & maybe a part time job

9. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Do it.

10. Chazz Rheinhold

Agre with Happy. Do it, but sod the part time job. If you're ok for cash then go and enjoy it. Theres so much of England never mind the world i havent seen, that i intend to when i get the chance.

Kempton and Happy Tiger like this.

11. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

If take the cash and retire. It'd do me nicely. Some people just need a sense of purpose.

12. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

I took early retirement 18 months ago, on my 60th birthday, I took maximum lump from my pension and have money left over each month from my companies final salary pension - anyone with a zero, or small monthly commitments, who has the chance to retire early, would be crazy not to take it. I loved the job I did for nigh on 40 years but I wouldn't have stayed the extra five years for double the money. If you can afford it, go for it ............ you might get hit by a bus next week (know what I mean?).

Kempton likes this.
  13. Real ale tiger

Real ale tiger Well-Known Member

I'm with chazz on this one.take the money and get walking.im planning on coast to coast.got two and a half years yet though

14. NorthFerribyTiger

Will have to discuss it with her indoors as she has about 12 years before she can think about retirement :emoticon-0102-bigsm

I will also have to wait for them to come back with proper figures, at the moment it looks like between £26K & £29K a year !! Add that to around £100K lump sum <party>

Kempton likes this.
  15. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Mmmm sounds suspiciously like me I've just retired as well, except for the motorcycling, (gave that up after my last spill on icy roads many years ago and I was being careful just rode over a manhole cover thick with ice) and the gardening. But I will say this NFT its an odd feeling not having to mould your live around your work schedule, I use to work shifts and I still wake up at silly o clock as though on the early shift. I have yet to get use to having some 'me' time but I only retired at Christmas so early days. But you want advice? take the money and run, then decide at leisure.

16. Chazz Rheinhold

You've lost a lot of goodwill here NFT :emoticon-0173-middl

17. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

18. NorthFerribyTiger

If I do I suppose I'll have the time to try a few European track days at some warm Spanish circuits rather than a cold miserable Cadwell or Mallory Park

19. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

We've had a load of redundancies over the last 3 years. A benefit of the pension is that you can have your full unabated pension at 50 if made redundant. That's a full pension & a 175% redundancy payment. They've been scrapping each other offering to go first & I've not met one since that doesn't appear a lot happier or healthier.

Take what you can, move on & enjoy your retirement.

spesupersydera likes this.
  20. spesupersydera

spesupersydera Well-Known Member

That's both me and you ex shift workers ref - I worked a continental rota with a quick turn round from 10x6 to 2x10; it took me about 12 months to stop waking up and knowing instantly what shift I would have been. Get another motorbike mate, on nice, dry days there's ****-all better than hopping aboard and popping to Manchester Airport via the Peak District and Snake Pass for a coffee and a bun !

howdentiger likes this.