1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Top of the League?

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Sapphire, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

One of the big ifs.

If Barnet do not win on Saturday and the Gas win both of our next two games, On Tuesday night the Rovers will top the League.

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Wouldnt it be funny if we didnt get into top position until the last game of the season like how we got relegated last season.

3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

That is the first time I would like the Rovers to be top, after the last game of the season. Let others get bothered by trying to maintain the position only for us to take it and get promoted

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I would prefer to hit the front in the final furlong. A short head will do.

5. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

It will certainly cause more interest if in the final couple of games it is us chasing the pack, and we nick it just in the final moments. I imagine the mem will sell out if we needed a win to guarantee our promotion!

6. Sapphire

Why do you all seem to prefer squeaky bum time!!!!!

I can see the irony, but let's give 'em Allaaahkazammmgive 'em whaaaam!!!

We've got the best squad in non-league!
    Let's go out with all trumpets blaring! The best around!! Stand up tall!!!

I wanna hear the lads singing "We are top league sah" at every match to the end of the season!!!!

Proud again to be a Gashead!!

7. old timer

Wasn't it nice of Craig Disley to remember and help his old team today

8. Gastronomic

Good old Disley!

9. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And their still fans moaning over on the Independent fans forum some dickhead called Bamber Gasgroin he's getting in a piss because fans were celebrating todays win. All I can say he can go do one ****ing arse hole. Here's the thread.

http://www.gasheads.org/thread/2323/where-coastalgas?page=4

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Win on Tuesday and we are top of the league :)

Not a good performance though. However sometimes you have to play ugly to get the result and thankfully we got the result which is what matters!

That ref today was shocking. His assistants didnt help him either.

Another clean sheet, thats 3 in a row and 9 clean sheets in last 13 league games. Great defensive record.

11. Gastronomic

Great stuff. It's all about the winning now. Bring on Tuesday. Hope the Mem is full and bouncing.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Well done, nearly top of the non-league, keep it going fellas...:rolleyes:

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Barnet been top since after game 8. Thats since 10th September.

The biggest points gap between us was 11 points which was on 15th November.

We have done well.

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Just a giggle but you should walk this league in all honesty, you are nearly there, keep smiling and your faith.<ok>

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC has kept his feet firmly on the ground and showed the utmost respect to all teams in our league and to the league itself. His knowledge of this division is 1 of the reasons we are where we are in the table. Fortunately we havent had big injuries to crucial players, like our defence. We have the beard and Easter to come back in the next 7 - 10 days time which will be massive boost as well.

Anyway, night Wiz. MOTD is on so im off :)

16. musiceyz

musiceyz Member

Sorry to you all, I am gas btw, but we shouldn't even be happy still that we are in this league. DC is the reason we are doing well in the conference, but lets not forget, he is one of the reasons (along with Ward and the board) that we are here at all. My view is that I am not celebrating until we are up. To see us narrowly win against teams like Altrincham doesn't fill me with confidence.

We should be in League 1, thats our level given the strength of our support. We can have ambition, but lets be honest, thats where we should be.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Hi musiceyz <ok>

Who said we are happy being in this league? I can assure you im not happy being in this league nor any other gashead. However, we are here in this league and there is nothing we can do about it other than fight to get out. I have personally accepted this and im sure others have too. The way DC and the team have responded to our relegation deserves praise. The run we are on, best defensive record in the league, we are actually winning games (away as well), we are happy that we really have a chance to go straight back up and not be here for as long as Luton was and Grimsby still is! Narrow wins against teams like Altrincham, feels me with confidence. The Rovers I know would lose these types games especially when we are in a good position ourselves, we normally throw it away. We dont seem to be that team anymore. This will create fear for Barnet, seeing us pick up points when we dont even play well!
    Dont let our happiness in winning games and where we are in the table be confused with being happy we are in this league. We are happy that we have a great chance of getting out of this league and not being stuck down here for years.

I disagree DC is 1 of the reasons we went down. He was given control after the loan window closed so couldnt bring in anyone. He had to work with a bunch of players who had no fight in them and who didnt give a crap about the club or fans. When he took over in his interview he said he went to Ward with many ideas and players to sign but Ward wasnt interested. Even this season after we signed Della Verde, DC said he tried getting Ward to sign him last season but Ward didnt even look at him. DC had no control over team affairs, signings or anything until he took over with just 8 games left. He was just involved in training directed by Ward. DC also came out and said he wasnt happy with the conduct off the pitch of a fair few players and approached Ward at the time about it and Ward didnt do anything. There wasnt anything really that DC could have done last season when Ward was here apart from either shut up and do what you are told or quit and be jobless. With 8 games left he took over and was in a right mess as he had players he didnt want and couldnt replace them. Im sure the feeling was mutual from some players as well. 8 games is not enough time for anyone when you have a small squad due to injuries and too late to sign anyone either. Ward was offered several strikers on the last day of the loan market and he refused the lot of them. Folloing day Ward stepped down and gave DC control. DC could have wanted 1 of those strikers but was too late. If that 1 striker had signed and scored just 2 goals in 8 games, we would have stayed up on goal difference!

DC held his hands up and accepted blame at the end of the season but I personally really cant see what he did wrong to be blamed for any of it.

The blame goes to Ward for me with his team selections, especially in away games, set up far too defensively, playing for draws only. He stepped down at a stupid time after all transfer/loan window closed basically leaving DC in a mess. Blame also goes to a lot of the players who didnt put in any effort. Once they cross that white line, they didnt show any fight, passion or determination to stay up. Blame also goes to the board. They stood by and allowed stupid contracts to go ahead and watch and accepted our fall not doing anything about it. All they could say between them relegation isnt an option and didnt financially prepare for it!

I respect your opinion musiceyz but I disagree with it <ok>

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    A Matter Of Time likes this.
  18. old timer

How can we blame DC for relegation. He was never in position to bring in any players as the loan window closed on the day of his appointment. It was very noticeable that the players JW brought in and were available were not offered terms and if my memory serves me well he described some of them as not being prepared to work for the team

19. Sapphire

Well said CJS and OT. We are where we are because we unfortunately deserve to be. The League system is like a slippery bar of soap, some must go up and some go down. DC inherited a horrendous situation, not of his own making. So a bit like after a bad shot at golf the Gas have to play from where they are and not where we like to think they ought to be.
    We have a squad who given everything they've got to get us to where we are and we should be thankful for that.
    We haven't got a team of potential Premiership players and everyone is aware of that. But IMO we have the best squad and best supporters in the non-league set up.
    Of course the lads have bad days, but I am appalled at the character assassinations on the Gas chat forum. All of our guys do their best and if doesn't suit everyone, then too bad! Keep your negativity to yourself. Do they think the players don't read their unpleasant comments?

Let's celebrate what we have achieved so far and give credit where credit is due.

Common you guys we reckon you can win this!!!

20. Gastronomic

DC was almost set up to fail last season. It shows the strength of the man that he's come back from that situation to become one of our better managers. Given more time he could be one of our best managers. The aim is to win this league.Nearly mission accomplished. Brilliant...

old timer likes this.