1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham Hotspur & Liverpool

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

I don't care who Liverpool's manager is I will always hate them. A man with funny glasses isn't going to change that.

2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I've kept in touch with David since he left! He was in Southend not so long ago too, for a coffee before a flight.

He's focusing on his photography (spending a lot of time in the US), but keeps up to date with Saints. Has favourited/liked a fair bit of Saints stuff I've shared on social media.

3. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

After Saints my fav team has always been Liverpool. Its the only away ground that i have been at when the home supporters applauded our team off the pitch. All this petty hatred of our ex players there is beyond me, but every one to their own. I do love us beating them though ! Spurs are looking really good atm and against Arsenal recently they were quite impressive most of the match. Poch is a very good coach and i like the fact that he gives young English players a good crack in the first team where he can, just as he did here with Saints.

4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Not saying Poch isn't a good coach, but his style of play revolves around young players, busting a gut to cover as much ground as possible, and he has been incredibly fortunate to walk into two clubs that both had a good bunch of young players ready to come through. Maybe the dearth of players, good enough to progress from our academy, at the moment, was another factor in his leaving?

Personally, I think he might struggle at a club with a squad of more mature and strong willed players, that had been there, done that, won this etc, such as Chelsea.
    Plus, I'm still not convinced that he has a plan B.
    I only saw the highlights of their game, against Arsenal, and despite their domination, and their improved defence, Arsenal still had some decent chances to nick the game.

ImpSaint likes this.
  5. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Didn't like Liverpool or Tottenham even before they nicked our players/manager. Didn't like the way Liverpool and their fans treated Hodgson, backed Suarez and hero worshipped Dalglish. Tapping up our players and Brenda being disrespectful just confirmed my dislike. Spurs have also acted badly over the years especially Levy. Poch disrupted the Saints team and probably encouraged Spurs to tap up Schneiderlin and Wanyama.

You may have guessed therefore that I am quite happy for them both to have bad seasons and be soundly beaten by Saints :)

ImpSaint and TheSecondStain like this.
  6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I don't think it's luck. He inherited pretty much what you describe when he arrived at Spuds and has moved on a lot of what might be considered overpaid deadwood and is beginning to create a team around his preferred style and philosophy. That's not luck, that's smart.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Levy has done a most un-Levy thing though. He's shown patience.

8. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Used to quite like both clubs but over the past couple of decades where neither has done anything yet their fans own opinion is as if their clubs have gotten bigger than they were before I have gawn off them.

Liverpool were great in the 70s and 80s Tottenham were a cool club through the eighties.

Liverpool went **** when Houillier followed by Benitiez turned them into a defensive unit.

Tottenham stayed reasonably cool in the 90s.

Liverpool went even ****ter in the noughties whilst their fans thought they were bigger and bigger.

Tottenham remained a cool club in the noughties till they sacked Jol for a lowly 5th finish and compounded it by employing (via an intermittant manager or 2) 'the people's choice' hedge fund manager that couldn't read, write or use a computer. This chap waltzed around as if he had a history of success even though he'd never had any success other than leaving every club he had been at with financial problems. This was seen as a challenge by the chairman of Tottenham Daniel Levy who decided to try and become the first chairman not to be financially crippled by this wide boy.

Liverpool went over the ****tier line when they employed some greasy David Brent Spiv ****er from the Swansea school of overhype & sense of self importance who talked like he had a history of success whilst never having had any success at all. Several managers of this school had received critical acclaim for their ability to pass the ball around very quickly without scoring many goals at all and Liverpool these days being defense first thought he would suit their modern style perfectly.

In the last 2 years Liverpool have become a laughing stock for not believing the rest of the world when they told them that without Suarez they would have finished in the bottom half of the league to which they are still to hold their hands up and say 'You were all right, We should have known but like all Liverpool fans we think we know everything because we used to win things once upon a time'.

I don't hate either club. I don't hate any player for leaving. I do hate any player that says he would bite your hand off if he could play for Saints till he retired whilst kissing the badge after every glory moment then saying what he said and doing what he did to get out the door and if I could (without fear of retribution) shove a Liverpool badge still attached to the shirt down his throat after scoring one of his few goals in his limited appearances for Liverpool then I would do it.

Tottenham again I don't hate them. Whats to hate? They are in football no mans land. They're not one of the title contenders so it doesn't matter that they think they are a big club. They are still also runs and that means they are level pegging with us.

Don't like Poccettino though although I notice has brough that ability to draw nearly every game to Tottenham now. I think we will finish above this shower of ****e this year, maybe not Liverpool because if nothing else they do have more spending power and more global brand awareness pull than us.

The question is can we finish above Chelsea? And how many fans will be in Fulham Mk2's ground if they were to be relegated to the 2nd tier. Fingers crossed.

Wish Newcastle and Villa could swap positions with Liverpool or Chelsea or Spurs because those 2 big clubs are much more humble and have real fans which I have great sympathy for. Newcastle because there is just something about Newcastle that even Allardyce and McLaren can't ruin. Keegan, Mirandhina, Ginola, Beardsley, Keegan, Asprilla, Albert. Cool memories :)

Villa because they are the club that Spurs think they are.............namely that big club that isn't challenging but has won loads. They just don't go around shouting how big they are when they haven't done it since the eighties ;) Always had a soft spot for Villa.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Impsaint: I do hate any player that says he would bite your hand off if he could play for Saints till he retired whilst kissing the badge after every glory moment then saying what he said and doing what he did to get out the door and if I could (without fear of retribution) shove a Liverpool badge still attached to the shirt down his throat after scoring one of his few goals in his limited appearances for Liverpool then I would do it.

Give us a clue<confused>

10. ImpSaint

****er faced fluffy bearded gnome **** whose former number ruins my otherwise beautiful yellow away shirt. Thankfully it hasn't got his name above it.

Velcro Roy likes this.

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think you need to get off the fence and tell us what you really think Imps! <laugh>

12. ImpSaint

I'm over it completely :) Just hope some people rot and some clubs nosedive.

13. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Know exactly what you mean,they managed a mighty nil nil today.<laugh><laugh>

14. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Don't agree with all this but it made me smirk a lot.

ImpSaint likes this.
  15. ImpSaint

Don't worry I considered reaching for the pill bottle when I suffered the shame of finding myself castigating the vastly overated and uber selfish Barkley and the king of invisible blinkers Sterling weren't passing the ball to the furry chinned one from Liverpool. It was only the familiar yet timely 60 minute hook that saved me from that fate.

16. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

In this regard, you are a true plastic! <laugh> I choose the team I hate, and stick with it through thick and thin, like a proper non-supporter.

But yes, have always disliked Chelsea, and also have a strong dislike of Mourinho from his first stint. Spurs, though, are so far out in front, it's embarassing. The only silver lining of them doing OK at the moment is that it sets them up better for a hopeful fall. The great thing about Spurs is all they have to do is finish fifth or below and they feel failure. It's their own delusions of grandeur that creates this scenario for them. They are the real magpies of the PL.

Liverpool I can start thawing on, as it was actually Brenda who I couldn't stand, and his smug comments. Will need a full stop on the Liverpool career of AL and DL before I can truly start to build relations again, though.

greensaint likes this.
  17. Pelletron

Not anymore. I live there, and the green roots of gentrification are everywhere - a craft brewery (Beavertown), an artisan bakery (Flourish), artisan cheese (Wilde's) a nice pub (The Beehive), a farmer's market etc. And next comes the improvement work to the Spurs stadium. It's just a shame that I can't enjoy some level of connection to a local team, but it will never happen. I didn't like them before very much either, and I also don't give a jot about them taking Poch (that didn't increase my dislike at all), let alone what I think of them now!

18. Pelletron

My thoughts pretty much exactly. Thought I was reading my own post there for a second.

Just be prepared to dislike Spurs a lot more over the coming years. They'll be trying to put their Academy up there as a competitor to ours in the media attention stakes, and will be using what is essentially a Saints-like approach to their Academy to gain media hearts and minds, as we witness a huge love-in from the papers, as their stadium plans take shape, their manager longevity improves, their youth get chances, they pursue 'The Tottenham Way', and start to make inroads in the league and Europe. I wouldn't bet against them taking Koeman when his contract is up too. Of course he has higher hopes, but depending on timing and jobs available, it's not completely out of the question.

19. swlondonsaint

swlondonsaint Active Member

My dislike for other clubs is based on these criteria:
    1. How many of our players they have stolen
    2. How disproportionate their sense of entitlement is.
    Plotted here. Totally scientific I might add. No subjectivity or guesswork at all. Chart.png Chart.png

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That's very good, but you need to increase your timescale a bit, say to at least 10 years or so. Then Tottenham would be on there!