1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Try before you buy......

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Jul 27, 2015.

1. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I would also suggest that it depends on whether we have signed him as Toby's replacement (ie we see him as Fonte's regular partner), or if we have signed him as a result of Gardos' injury.

If it's the latter, then a loan makes a lot of sense. Gardos (hopefully) wont be injured forever!

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Loans fulfil a need because they can be a quick fix when you lose a player (like Gardos), but sometimes they are done because of doubts on one or both sides. And (though probably not in Caulker's case) a player may be loaned out because he isn't for sale at that point as with Gallagher and Toby. Can mean you get a player you would like to keep (but can't), but you also get to try before you buy (wish Osvaldo had been on a loan :().

Loans can work out and purchases may not (and vice versa). The only danger is we can sprinkle Saints stardust on a player just to lose out.

3. Saint Muppet

Saint Muppet Member

I like it and think loans can work. Toby was a success - we just need to pump up the 'buyback clause' this time so it's not viable for QPR to recall him if he has a good season.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I have often referred to sprinkling Saints stardust on players and I note that Les Reed is using the same term....talked about Saints dust on players. :)

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Have you let him know that you own the phrase.? :)