1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v ......Hartlepool

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 5, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like Derek Adams is playing it cagey regarding the play-offs.

He is saying that he will have 5 or 6 players either injured or out sick for Saturdays game.

All he will say is that Reuben Reid and Carl McHugh will be out injured for the match and others will be unavailable because of sickness.....he will not name who they might be.

What he has said is that he is not bothered if we are home or away first for the play-off matches.....this suggests to me that he is more concerned that he protects his first team selection for the play-offs from injury against Hartlepool on Saturday.....I think he is expecting to have all his squad available for play-off selection whether injured or sick at present for when it really matters.

This means some of his fringe players will get a start against Hartlepool....lets see if they can rise to the occasion.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oi!!! Starting matchday threads is my job.

I don't agree with Adams. This match and where we play first is important. Still think we will win it easily enough though. Pressure off as there is nothing much else to be gained in this match.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So we play our reserve strikers and they score two each and Argyle get their best win of the season 5-0.....sought that out Derek Adams for the play-offs.....:(.

4. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Yep...a tough decision for DA, see what the rest say about their performance today.
    Jammy Rovers. ...scored in the dying seconds!

5. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Changes from front to back will give DA something to think about. The new keeper had a good game and pulled out 3 or 4 good saves to keep a clean sheet. I am a big fan of Luke, but........-the new guy looks like he has something about him-will he be as good under pressure though. game performances and goals from Harvey and Rooney- Rooney's first was outstanding and must be in the running for goal of the season. Tyler almost got a third with a wickedly swerving shot but the keeper pulled off a good save at the near post.
    Hartlepool were poor, only Thomas really looked like he was interested and enjoyed the warm reception before, during and after the match. Special mention to the Hartlepool stormtroopers-outstanding support!
    Rooney my MOTM if only for his first goal.
    DA has now backed himself into a corner-if we don't get to Wembley he will be criticized for his team selection(whichever way he goes). Quite like to see Matt & Harvey/Rooney start but I doubt either will if Reid is fit.
    Today had very much a pre season friendly feel about it- the next match wont be as relaxing!

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well it gave them a good run out so now the manager has to pick the correct team. It will be a different game now it's the play offs. image.jpeg

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

This was easy. The goals were generally good goals and no fluke about any of them. The Ref looked like he was on holiday already but nobody cared. Harvey took his goals very well. Rooney for a young inexperienced lad was quite outstanding. The crowd were willing him to have a good game and he did. First goal was very good and very well taken. Keeper as said above did very well and everything he needed to do. It does beg the question why some of the old brigade hadn't been dropped previously and the newbies given a chance. If we had played like today and taken chances in some other games then we would have been up without the play offs needed. MOM without a doubt was Harvey.

Special mention for the Hartlepool supporters. Excellent turn out and they all had a great time. That was before the Argyle Stewards intervened and once again proved themselves to be a total bunch of arseholes. Argyle need to sort these people out and realise that their customers are not morons but paying public who want to have a good time.

8. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I only have one thing to add... why couldn't we play like this 6 or 8 weeks ago?

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I would guess to answer your question and my own to an extent is that we were playing teams that were still playing for something 6 or 8 weeks ago and even if we had played Hartlepool and they had needed a point my guess is they would have approached this totally differently. The score doesn't tell the underlying story really does it. The ones who had something to prove still played today whereas the rest, or most of them just came for a kick about.

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

One thing I have to say is that I thought the back 5 looked more secure with Dorel and Forster than in recent games. Hartlepool at least kept on pushing for a goal to the end. Dorel had to make some decent saves and one outstanding one. There was one he pushed out to the penalty spot rather than to the side, which isn't the best idea, but he looked generally sound.

No doubt Matt and Carey will return for Rooney and Harvey and McHugh for Purrington if he's fit but I'd be tempted to leave that back 5 alone.