1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread v SUNDERLAND 3 ON THE BOUNCE?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by realred1952, Apr 2, 2024.

1. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

2. realred1952

A glorious opportunity to make it a hatrick!

VARIOUS COMBINATIONS OF FIXTURES LEFT TO PLAY WOULD INDICATE WE CANT FINISH LOWER THAN 20TH!!!!

A poor season for us to finish where we are likely to , no better than 8th? although 6 wins more would put us in [6th poor results from teams in 6th now and above us! ] 3 pts Saturday and we could have some supporters drooling of play off's ....but not me!

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Absolutely no chance of reaching the playoffs

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

No chance of relegation as you called it just a few games ago!! Just saying :emoticon-0105-wink:

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

EDITED - thanks to Sparkey uncovering my error!!

I think you’ll find that with us being on 53 points and 6th place Norwich on 64 we DO have a microscopic mathematical chance of the playoffs.
    There are 18 points still left to play for and we are 11 behind. If we win every one of our remaining games and the teams above us take points from each other………..(?)
    Very, very unlikely, but not impossible.

By the same logic, we COULD still get relegated, but it would take an even bigger miracle for that to happen - we would have to drop 13 points for that eventuality.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you playing 47 games this season?

7. bcfcredandwhite

Oops - I counted an extra game!
    I’ll edit my post.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  8. realred1952

6 games left = 18 points lets take 2 teams from bottom that win all 6 .. SHEFF WED lowest placed plus 18 points = 57 total because they dont play Huddersfield could finish on 58 pts Plymouth dont play either of these so could end on 59 pts .. Birmingham is the stopper as they play Huddersfield who are assumed to win all games. Brum THEN in the table [theoretical one become the team in 23rd with max 15pts to add to 42pts = 57 points you can do the rest if you wish ............
    However BCFC play Huddersfield and assumption being they lose [ Huddersfield winning ALL ] City would only get 68 pts .. and a previous working out showed that 6th would be 70 or more points.........

We need to beat Sunderland to show we are "coming together" albeit far to late, and to get 3 wins in championship on the bounce!!

9. realred1952

OUR OPPONENTS: Sunderland AFC
    Sunderland began the season under the management of Tony Mowbray and his assistant Mark Venus but following their departure in December, Michael Beale was named Head Coach at the Stadium of Light, but lasted just 12 games before being relieved of his duties.

In February, Sunderland announced that Mike Dodds would take charge for the remainder of the 2023/24 season.

Despite a fairly strong start to the season The Black Cats’ season has become increasingly turbulent, no more so than their last ten fixtures.

Currently sitting in 13th, Sunderland are bouncing back from their worst spell of the season having won only once since the February 14th.

The Black Cats’ home record is much stronger than their away side and after a disappointing 5-1 defeat at the Stadium of Light to Blackburn Rovers most recently Dodds’ side will be looking to rectify their performance.

HEAD-TO-HEAD: BRISTOL CITY VS SUNDERLAND AFC
    Matches won: 18
    Matches drawn: 15
    Matches lost: 16

Biggest win: Bristol City 4-1 Sunderland: September 4th, 1976.
    Most Recent game: Bristol City 1-0 Sunderland: December 16th, 2023.

10. oneforthebristolcity

Any pressure is off for us, we can play with freedom, even worth experimenting with some of the youngsters..
    I would take a draw, but even if we lose it doesn’t matter so long as we put in a decent performance..

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.

11. oneforthebristolcity

12. bcfcredandwhite

It’s a different pressure. It would take a miracle for us to be relegated or break into the playoffs, so yes, we’re safe - but the players will be trying to convince Manning (and the suits) that they are worth a contract next season.
    They do have something to play for.

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

14. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

No not this season, but possible next season <whistle>

15. bcfcredandwhite

We’ve been favourites for the drop since we arrived in this league.
    Our highest finishes (this period in the second tier) were under …….. (I’ll let Wiz and RP tell us… but we all know, don’t we..)

16. realred1952

could be a real wild game with Kathleen putting in an appearance!

17. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

As long as it’s not Irene <laugh><laugh>

18. oneforthebristolcity

Oh, I thought you said we were this season!! I know we came close a couple of times under Nige.. :emoticon-0105-wink:

19. realred1952

Sunderland summing up ............

Opposition
    Bristol City currently sit one place and two points above the Lads in 12th place in the table. They’ve played 40 games, winning 15, drawing eight and losing 17.
    The opposition boast one of the tightest defences this season having let slip the fourth fewest goals in the division, conceding just 45 times.
    The Robins are managed by Liam Manning who took over on 7 Novemeber 2023 taking over from Nigel Pearson.
    Tommy Conway sits top of the goalscoring charts for the club this season with nine goals to his name in all competitions.
    In the last meeting between the two clubs on Wearside, the points were in a shared in a 1-1 draw as Jack Clarke scored a thunderbolt in the second half.

Would we settle for a draw?
    I think that would be a disapointment, as we have shown really good results albeit losing by the odd goal we should try and take in a lead from first 45 mins 2 would be good. both teams have nothing to lose now cant make either end of the table!

20. realred1952

wx for Sunderland looks set fine except for rather strong winds of around 25-30 mph / 40 kph odd gust of about 45 mph/ 75 kph