1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread versus Accrington Stanley

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 16, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Here we are again and this time it is the mighty Accrington who pose the threat. This was a team who for most of last season were the favourites to do something to get out of this league. They were getting great results and also had numerous games in hand. They blew it big time and this season they have been unable to get themselves anywhere near where they were last season. Couple of players left them and things were not as rosey as they had been.

As said Accrington have not been the same threat as last term. Not totally sure why that is but the results have been very mixed and they are sitting near the bottom of the league this time around. We on the other hand have just regained top spot and hopefully have started another run of good results. Our away record this season has been spectacular so combining that with Accrington's dismal first half of the season what could possibly go wrong.............

Don't think this will be a push over by any means. There again I don't think any game in this league is that and the results are still going this way and that week by week. It is still a matter of a couple of good results and you can leap up the league and be challenging for a play off spot at least. Can we still be top for Christmas?

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I expect Adams will bring 1 or 2 in during the window, especially if we can get past Newport to a lucrative 4th round tie against Liverpool. A striker looks like the priority although as discussed elsewhere, let's hope he has a cunning plan should Graham Carey depart.

Until then, the going may be hard with the current crop of injuries but I'm a Believer (at present, terms and conditions apply).

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Accrington were not the only team to blow it last year.. :emoticon-0130-devil..

I hope we get a decent win today, it will be tough.. then we have a nice team on Boxing day with the beast in their squad.

Agree with Distant about Adams, his conduct is excellent. goes about the job the right way and not like the morons at other teams.. He is a credit to PAFC and football.. :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well our day has already started with Doncaster recording a 1 - 0 win agains Grimsby today. Just looked at the match stats for that one and it didn't look too exciting. But it's the final score that counts not what happened inbetween. We are currently second prior to kick off so we would have to win to be top at Christmas. O'er.....

5. notDistantGreen

Same as last week but Garita and Bulvitas on the bench. Rommy Boco starts for the opposition.

6. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Seems a drab game so far...need a change of plan for second half perhaps. ...

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If this is to be a result for Argyle they are probably going to have to grind this one out much more than grinding should be legal. It does sound drab indeed and looking at the stats it looks drab as well. Most important fact though is not losing currently.

8. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

BBC stats suggest that Accrington are on top at the moment.

9. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Tanner on then gets booked...will have to dig very deep to salvage anything here!

10. notDistantGreen

Garita and Goodwillie on for Slew and Donaldson: effectively now 4:4:2 or even 4:2:4 with Tanner and Carey wide and Fox and Smith alone in the midfield. Can't say Adams doesn't give it a go......

11. notDistantGreen

Who dares wins.... Stanley 0 1 Argyle

Tanner scores from Goodwillie assist, 10 mins to play.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  12. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Well well...digging deep..COYG!

13. notDistantGreen

5 mins of extra time

14. notDistantGreen

All over, Sonny Bradley and Luke McCormick heroics in the last 10 secure the 3 points and leadership of League 2.

15. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

That was a bloody important win...well done DA!

16. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great win.....should put us in the right mood for Newport....who lost again and are 4pts adrift at the bottom....plus 9 yellow cards !!!

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I got ordered to switch off my machine at full time. Bleddy women have no sense of football euphoria do they.

Well have to grind it out I said and by Jimminy grind it out they did. I wasn't expecting too much from this game if I'm honest. We nearly didn't get it either but they came good once more. I have to say that I don't care how they get a result home or away now as long as they get one. 9 points clear of 6th place which is the important position for us. I did not expect Portsmouth to drop points today. Hartlepool have been falling or tumbling down the league and letting goals in for a laugh. Doncaster only just got their result as well so maybe with a couple of shock results their fans might drop this "we are bound to go up or when we go up" attitude. Nobody but nobody can take anything for granted in this league.

Wycombe next. They are the form team in the league at the minute. Ainsworth has them playing well and scoring. Boxing day could be interesting.